Psychonauts II : amnesia

KickStart Psychonauts II  

41 members have voted

1. 1. KickStart Psychonauts II

• Hell Ya - Give it to me now
    • Yes - Sounds like a good idea.
    • Sure - I Might support it.
    • No way - There are better games to work on

The idea of having a followup to such a great game as Psychonauts is a wonderfully wacky idea, I'm sure you would have the support of all DF fans and then some! KickStartering Psychonauts is a perfect idea and is sure to be a great boost to the studio. Here's hoping you guys will take the challenge and move forward with making something every Double Fine fan is truly looking forward too.

The idea of having a followup to such a great game as Psychonauts is a wonderfully wacky idea, I'm sure you would have the support of all DF fans and then some! KickStartering Psychonauts is a perfect idea and is sure to be a great boost to the studio. Here's hoping you guys will take the challenge and move forward with making something every Double Fine fan is truly looking forward too.

This is something both fans and (by the sounds of things) Double Fine have wanted to do for a very long time, but unfortunately wants are not made of dollars. Specifically multiple tens of millions of dollars.

I have a hard time believing that it would cost anywhere near those number and I could site a few good examples for you. InXile was able to make some very large games for a lot less then 10 mill! So excuse me if call your bull what it is BULL...

I have a hard time believing that it would cost anywhere near those number and I could site a few good examples for you. InXile was able to make some very large games for a lot less then 10 mill! So excuse me if call your bull what it is BULL...

Those were a completely different style of game with completely different demands. Plus, I'm not just making up numbers here. The budget for Psychonauts in 2005 was roughly 13 million dollars, and it goes without saying that the number would be higher than that in 2015. When asked about it in the past, such as when all the speculation about Notch helping fund it was going around, the numbers 18 million to 20 million were being tossed around.

Still don't believe me? Here is a tweet from Tim:

You can't compare the cost of making a game so long ago to today because the cost has gone down a lot!!! The reason so many independent title's are being developed is related to the ease of creating games using today's powerful gaming engines. The new engines like Unreal allow for muti-platform development easier without all the overhead.

If you would compare a game created now-a-days you'd fine a huge cut in development cost, and yes I am one of those developers! However it is true I'm not looking at the the writers; voice actors; advertising; artist and so on, i'm only looking at program implementation.

I know there's a lot of love for Double Fine and this title, so I'd think there are professionals (artist;actors and the such) that would be willing to offer their time just to see this title return. Why not do a campaign to test the waters to see who'd be willing to lend a hand in the making of Psychonauts.

You can't compare the cost of making a game so long ago to today because the cost has gone down a lot!!!

No, the cost ISN'T the same, but the cost for Psychonauts has actually GONE UP. This isn't just me talking. That is exactly, precisely what Tim said in the tweet I posted above. Did you read it? Are you telling Tim he's wrong about how much it would cost to make Psychonauts?

Cost for tools/software and such has probably gone down a lot, but DF is a company that has to pay employees, and the cost of paying those professionals has most likely gone up. Especially--as Tim mentioned in episode 20 of the documentary--with companies in the area like Oculus and Facebook throwing money around.

I know there's a lot of love for Double Fine and this title, so I'd think there are professionals (artist;actors and the such) that would be willing to offer their time just to see this title return. Why not do a campaign to test the waters to see who'd be willing to lend a hand in the making of Psychonauts.

While that is a pleasant thought, and I'm sure there are plenty of people who would help out while asking for almost nothing (or literally nothing) in return, there are other concerns with doing things that way.

Don't get me wrong! I am a huuuge fan of Psychonauts and DF generally and crave more Psychonauts with every fiber of my being, so I am 100% with you as far as desire goes. If a real opportunity comes up, I am absolutely sure that DF will take advantage of it.

Ok, so as of today, we have 7 votes for Hell Yeah. So, if we get 6 more yes votes, and we each chip in $1 million dollars...

There is the slight issue that for absolutely every large AAA-style project that Double Fine undertakes nearly ends up being a suicide mission for the company. There's a reason for the smaller games and events like Amnesia Fortnight.

There is the slight issue that for absolutely every large AAA-style project that Double Fine undertakes nearly ends up being a suicide mission for the company. There's a reason for the smaller games and events like Amnesia Fortnight.

Though they haven't really made one after BL in the post-kickstarter era.... based on various comments/articles from game devs, it sounds like publishers are getting a little more friendly, and it's always possible they could find a partner who would help them make the game but let them keep other work going on the side or be more flexible in some other ways.

Sounds like DF has downsized a bit, though, so if Psychonauts 2 were ever a thing, there would likely be a lot of hiring required, and then they'd have to figure out what to do with those people after the game shipped. At a lot of companies they'd just get laid off, but DF doesn't like to do that (which I respect greatly).

Obviously I'm very passionate about this game, so much so that my comments got a little out of hand.

I hope that DF would someday revisit the idea of a new Psychonauts game. It always brings back a lot of fond memories and I do thank you very much for those:)

There are only a handful of games that I cherish enough to be sentimental about, it truly takes my inner child to meet imaginary friends and crazy adventures. I guess it reminds me of watching Gene Wilders' version of Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory, crazy; fun and amazing!

I, too, would love to see another Psychonauts game. If there were a Kickstarter for the project, I would definitely back it; though, considering the required budget, and the money issues with Broken Age discussed in DFA!, I don't think a Kickstarter campaign would bring in enough money to cover the project.

If there were to be a another Psychonauts, I imagine it would be either fully or largely publisher-backed, possibly with a crowdfunding campaign to gauge interest; a la Shenmue 3, which I understand to be getting most of its development money from one or more publishers, even though the campaign raked in more than $6 million.

I'd love to see another Psychonauts game but I'd want to see the full thing not just a shell of what it could be. I'm sure Tim and most of DF feel the same way and that's why they haven't attempted it yet because it would require a really large budget to be a fully realized sequel. But I can still dream can't I?

We need someone to offer them 25 M$ for it, and then have 25 M$ in additional funds during the development, in a way of adding dev time instead of crunching. And probably a whole lot of developers that will only be part of DF for that game, since I don't expect them to be able to take on a similar sized project again directly out of the gates of that. And that's without talking about the necessary marketing costs for it to become a hit.

We need someone to offer them 25 M$ for it, and then have 25 M$ in additional funds during the development, in a way of adding dev time instead of crunching. And probably a whole lot of developers that will only be part of DF for that game, since I don't expect them to be able to take on a similar sized project again directly out of the gates of that. And that's without talking about the necessary marketing costs for it to become a hit.

I'm sorry, but I'm not used to seeing "M$" (Or MM or whatever) be used as a unit; I know you mean it to be "million dollars", but I keep reading it as "MegaBucks".

I doubt it's a 50 million dollar project since that would put it in the top 40 most expensive games to make EVER adjusted for inflation, but I could easily imagine it taking 20-30 million to do right, unless they do something like taking an episodic approach which may actually work well.

Hub area + levels which give you extra stuff to do in the hub area with each additional mind to explore. Spend $8 million (pulled this number out of my butt, it's just a guess based on using a team of 40 for a year) and a large-ish team in the first year to nail the initial design and the first level, then aim to release the extra levels twice a year for the next couple of years with a smaller team so the others can move onto other projects, and release the rest of the game over 3 years at a cost of $4 million per year. $20 million total for the whole project, similar to the amount they said it would cost, which I imagine was based on a similar average sized team but spread over a 2-3 year dev cycle.

Still a big cost, but the initial funding is less intimidating and the sales will help pay for the subsequent years.

It's not a 50 M$ project, probably. It's more like a 20-25 M$ project. But I was adjusting budget to make it more awesome!

All of you have made me a very happy Psycho-Nut :) I jumped on board your new Fig Psychonauts 2 project yesterday and as I predicted you have a boat load of support for the new game. I'm crossing my fingers that you guys raise at least twice your goal if not more. On another note you really planned the announcement at the VGA awards perfectly and what a kick-ass trailer!!

I just want to say thank you with all my heart, I know this project will be a true labor of love from all of you.

Ha ha, this thread and my posts in it are really funny in retrospect, considering that DF was already planning the FIG campaign at the time this thread was happening. xD

We over-estimated the budget, of course.

OR DID WE

time will tell on that one, but having a pre-existing engine helps.

My heart skipped a beat when I saw the trailer at the VGA awards:) But when I saw it on Fig and how low it was set I knew there wasn't going to be an issue with the funding. Hell if they stuck it on Kickstarter I'm sure they'd be able to raise quite a bit more considering some people aren't too familiar with Fig.

Hell if they stuck it on Kickstarter I'm sure they'd be able to raise quite a bit more considering some people aren't too familiar with Fig.

I kind of agree with this. Kickstarter, Indiegogo, and so on are already well-established platforms with tons of participation; however, those platforms don't do what DF wants to do, which is allow backers to become actual (Versus emotional?) stakeholders and participate in profit sharing.

I don't think there is any way we can actually know whether it would have done better on kickstarter or another crowdfunding platform, nor can we know how much of a difference there would be between including the investment option or excluding it. I think saying it would have done better on Kickstarter is talking purely from a gut feeling more than anything.

I don't think there is any way we can actually know whether it would have done better on kickstarter or another crowdfunding platform, nor can we know how much of a difference there would be between including the investment option or excluding it. I think saying it would have done better on Kickstarter is talking purely from a gut feeling more than anything.

With infinite universes, somewhere we are all already playing Psychonauts 5.

Smiles

Sign in to follow this