Sign in to follow this  
stantronic

Tip Jar

Hey Lovely People At Double Fine,

I was thinking, as you are pioneers in alternative-funding-model-game-development what you think about having some kind of easy facility to tip a small gift to the company after completing a game. If you can give a tip after consuming a great meal at a restaurant, why not after consuming/playing a great game.

Obviously it would be completely optional, and carefully presented/communicated; and tippers would receive absolutely nothing in return except "psychic income". But it could potentially be a useful indicator to the company of how loved a game was, and how much a sequel might be appreciated etc.

I speak as someone who missed the opportunity to be a Kick-Starter backer of Broken Age, but wished I had been after really enjoying the full game.

What does anyone else think?

Stantronic

This has the potential for disaster I think. The press and public have a way of twisting things into a negative.

But there are other ways of 'tipping' developers. Buying gift copies of the game you love to give to friends for example. Or you could check out the ACTION SHOP! http://shop.doublefine.com/

Both ways do get something in return, but they make a profit so it's effectively a 'tip'. :)

Welcome! Some people asked for a tip jar during the development of Broken Age, so they're used to be one. But it ended when the Slacker Backer option ended.

It's an interesting idea to have a tip jar going all the time for Double Fine in general, but I guess in the absence of one then buying soundtracks from Bandcamp or cool stuff from the DF shop is your best bet.

Massive Chalice also had a tip jar, as I recall. DF isn't the only one to use such a thing. I mean, really it's not that different than something like Patreon, where people give you money just because they want to support you and encourage you to keep on truckin'.

It could be weird for a company like DF to do that, though, if they didn't handle it correctly. If not handled well, it could be construed by some jerk in the press as greedy greedy money grabby, or conversely it could be construed as DF being in such bad shape that it has to ask for handouts or something.

I think DF probably made a wise choice to not have an always running tip jar for the company and instead tied the tip jar to specific projects and the teams working on them.

I think DF probably made a wise choice to not have an always running tip jar for the company and instead tied the tip jar to specific projects and the teams working on them.

Yeah, I think this is the best way to protect them. Otherwise as indicated, buying gift copies of things or other merch is the other nice way to go.

Smiles