Levering_2pp

Backer Blu-ray Production Status

582 posts in this topic

(moved from backer forums)

Hi Everybody!

I thought it would be helpful to have a general update thread going here for the blu-ray stuff. It feels like things are moving along at a nice pace, here's a general breakdown of what's going on-

EDIT- Just going to use the Google doc for progress tracking since it's easier to stay on top of.

Google Doc Spreadsheet

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jG9ZsaaHp05rtSI5ql3n-FP9bnPn2kSNNKbAvgK7vjE/pubhtml

Just curious, Are the episodes as they're finished being updated on VHX or not till all the work is done?

Just curious, Are the episodes as they're finished being updated on VHX or not till all the work is done?
I'll put Episode 1 up when it's complete (subs, both commentary, color) to get feedback from everyone, but after that it's probably best to put them up together. I don't want to have to keep sending out updates to all the backers, that would get annoying for some people.

Thanks for the super fast answer!

I'll be looking forward to the final "special edition"... but I also see on Twitter you guys have hit a little unfortunate snafu. Has anyone called Kazuo or Layden and asked for a favor? ;)

Thanks for the super fast answer!

I'll be looking forward to the final "special edition"... but I also see on Twitter you guys have hit a little unfortunate snafu. Has anyone called Kazuo or Layden and asked for a favor? ;)

We'll keep working with Encore, it's just a pain to use with little payoff at the end. Having to learn one of the other systems with as little time as we have left is probably unrealistic anyway.

Any idea yet how many discs it'll be? And will the Sidequests now be included on the Blus as well?

Any idea yet how many discs it'll be? And will the Sidequests now be included on the Blus as well?

I believe the SideQuests are included -- they are referenced in their Google Docs.

Smiles

That's why I'm asking ;-)

But I've just now read the Episode 20 thread, and there they say they're planning for 3 discs.

That's why I'm asking ;-)

But I've just now read the Episode 20 thread, and there they say they're planning for 3 discs.

Sidequests are getting cleaned up for digital release but they aren't planned for the Blu-ray. We are doing 3 discs for the set for the whole series and what looks like around 6 hours of new footage.

Fair enough... 6 hours of extra footage sounds fantastic. And 2 commentaries per episode is crazy!

Btw you awesome 2PP guys, here's a beautiful article praising your documentary work. Not sure you are aware of it or not... but thought it should be shared!

Excerpt:

As well as getting to know the team, the three year time space allows 2 Player Productions to really focus in on each aspect of game development, and a huge amount of praise has to be given for the technical polish on display. It is a handsome documentary, beautifully lit and, considering the volume of footage they must have, masterfully edited. With so much time afforded them, there are wonderful little details that are picked up that would have been cut from a regular documentary: Tim's myriad puzzle cubes, John Romero's hair blowing in the wind as he takes Tim for a drive in his Hot Rod, the satisfied 'Perfect!' from Peter McConnell as he remotely listens to the orchestra play his themes for the first time.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-07-29-double-fine-adventure-is-the-greatest-video-game-documentary-to-date

Btw you awesome 2PP guys, here's a beautiful article praising your documentary work. Not sure you are aware of it or not... but thought it should be shared!

Excerpt:

As well as getting to know the team, the three year time space allows 2 Player Productions to really focus in on each aspect of game development, and a huge amount of praise has to be given for the technical polish on display. It is a handsome documentary, beautifully lit and, considering the volume of footage they must have, masterfully edited. With so much time afforded them, there are wonderful little details that are picked up that would have been cut from a regular documentary: Tim's myriad puzzle cubes, John Romero's hair blowing in the wind as he takes Tim for a drive in his Hot Rod, the satisfied 'Perfect!' from Peter McConnell as he remotely listens to the orchestra play his themes for the first time.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-07-29-double-fine-adventure-is-the-greatest-video-game-documentary-to-date

Yeah that's a nice one. We like the 8-bit Chimp story too, which for some reason I can't embed a link to. Weird.

We comb the net for this stuff all the time. Being insecure creative types we need constant positive reinforcement.

Excerpt:

Yeah that's a nice one. We like the 8-bit Chimp story too, which for some reason I can't embed a link to. Weird.

We comb the net for this stuff all the time. Being insecure creative types we need constant positive reinforcement.

Hahaha! :D I can see that. But you are genuinely extremely talented, and I'm not a fanboy, really. I am a NDA-bound beta tester in a very large franchise, yet when when I think they have done something very poorly, I'm almost *toxic* in my feedback, though I try to make it as constructive as possible. I try to package my toxicity with laughs. :) What I'm trying to say is that I'm the least likely to be blindly appreciative of efforts, unless that effort has borne real fruit. You have borne really good fruits. Your project with Double Fine has been incredible really. I can't wait for the bluray stuff to reach my mailbox. Then I'll watch it all over again.

The sidequest list is missing Tim's "It's All Coming Back to Me" and "Put Your Lips on That" interviews; are they being omitted because they include scenes from Day of the Tentacle and Full Throttle?

Just an update- You may have noticed there hasn't been any progress reported lately, but we were all on vacation for the past 2 weeks. Everything will be returning to normal now.

Just an update- You may have noticed there hasn't been any progress reported lately, but we were all on vacation for the past 2 weeks. Everything will be returning to normal now.

Great! I'm especially looking forward to episode 4 subtitles, I've always loved that episode with Peter and Scott. :-)

Is there any kind of deadline you guys set? I asume Chrissmass this year is out of the question?

Is everything okay? The progress halted almost two weeks ago.

It's still moving along! We just got all the content for Episode 1 wrapped so that one is going to be finalized and released as soon as the commentary mix comes back. Color and subtitles are slow going but we're trying to get some other pressing work out of the way so that can continue forward again. Internally we have a goal for everything to be done this year. Roughly, October is for content and November is for discs.

There's a column for "New VHX", which I guess means the unredacted versions will be reuploaded to VHX. Will they will also be uploaded to Humble?

There's a column for "New VHX", which I guess means the unredacted versions will be reuploaded to VHX. Will they will also be uploaded to Humble?
Yeah that's a catch-all for each of the digital destinations. So VHX, Humble, Steam, and whatever else we end up on.

Hi, if we were backers of the physical box copy (game and blu-ray) how do we download the digital videos? Was there a Humble Bundle or VHX code somewhere? Or is the code going to be in the blu-ray case (like it was for AF2014)? Thanks!

Hi, if we were backers of the physical box copy (game and blu-ray) how do we download the digital videos? Was there a Humble Bundle or VHX code somewhere? Or is the code going to be in the blu-ray case (like it was for AF2014)? Thanks!
Its in the same humble email as the game download. You can both download the doc and game as well as get the Steam and VHX keys there.

Its in the same humble email as the game download. You can both download the doc and game as well as get the Steam and VHX keys there.

I swear I responded to this this morning. The Humble code, which every backer got, had the game as a direct download, as well as codes for Steam and GOG; and the documentary direct, as well as a code for VHX.

For AF2014, backers got the documentary via direct download and a VHX code--the code on the card bundled with the physical copy was redundant.

I swear I responded to this this morning. The Humble code, which every backer got, had the game as a direct download, as well as codes for Steam and GOG; and the documentary direct, as well as a code for VHX.

They also added Steam codes for the documentary

They also added Steam codes for the documentary

thanks all, i found the email and also found the links in my humble account. i'm just dumb.

Not sure how many people are still watching this thread, but I have a new version of Ep1 about ready to go out on VHX. It features new color, noise reduction, 2pp and DF commentary tracks, new metadata, and soft subtitles. File size is around 1.29gb. I'll be posting a VHX update when it's live.

Some of us are still here! :)

Looking at the list of episodes that need new color, it seems like there's a bit more to be done. Are you still planning to have the discs out by Christmas?