Levering_2pp

Backer Blu-ray Production Status

Some of us are still here! :)

Looking at the list of episodes that need new color, it seems like there's a bit more to be done. Are you still planning to have the discs out by Christmas?

We're building discs in November with the goal of having things done and ready to print by the end of the month. They probably won't arrive by Christmas but hopefully not much longer after.

We're building discs in November with the goal of having things done and ready to print by the end of the month. They probably won't arrive by Christmas but hopefully not much longer after.

How's it coming? It appears that only colour timing and subtitle insertion are the only things left?

This is getting ridiculous. It's like the Amnesia Fortnight (2012 I think) blurays that took more than a year to ship. Is there so much money that they need to work on those episodes so much time ? I get that they want the product to be polished but the game was released almost a year ago... You need to change your priorities and get this out of the door.

Your to late to complain its taking to long. Why dident you complain earlier? ;)

This is getting ridiculous. It's like the Amnesia Fortnight (2012 I think) blurays that took more than a year to ship. Is there so much money that they need to work on those episodes so much time ? I get that they want the product to be polished but the game was released almost a year ago... You need to change your priorities and get this out of the door.

I guess this is the pace that 2PP run at.

You're looking at it wrong. By the time it's delivered you'll have forgotten watching those stinky youtube videos and it will be like seeing it again for the first time. When you open the mailbox...holy crap i totally forgot i even bought that.

You're looking at it wrong. By the time it's delivered you'll have forgotten watching those stinky youtube videos and it will be like seeing it again for the first time. When you open the mailbox...holy crap i totally forgot i even bought that.

Do you really think that argument stands true to those of with full 1080p downloads awaiting the final version with all the extras as well as any bonus inside materials there will be to stay in that BIG BOX tradition... be it a comic book, new sticker, something that just blows us away.

All 12,000+ are patient and I'm sure will be treated proper. Even though of us not financially capable of backing further games at this time while still supporting.

Yet, as we now round out to the first week of 2016 and with Psychonauts 2 funded now and just trying to get more backing I hope the focus will be on getting DFA 100% completed as first imagined and promised before even really leaping into Psychonauts 2 at all.

Things are ramping back up, we should be posting more progress updates this month!

Cool, thanks for the update, 2PP. I've only watched half the episodes, since I decided to stop and wait for the bluray. Really looking forward to getting this.

Quick question: if I backed at the documentary level but not at the Blu-Ray level, do I have to purchase the remastered collection in order to get access to the extras?

Hmm. Has there been much progress?
It's kind of hard to tell without the revision history for the spreadsheet, but it's been updated since the last time I viewed it (Within the last few weeks). Most of the editing is done (Episode 20 still pending). Commentary tracks are underway. Subtitles are done for YouTube; Blu-ray subs pending. It's getting close!

I tried to color code things so it was more granular. Things are coming along nicely now. Just about to get a big delivery of the last of the subtitle files.

I tried to color code things so it was more granular. Things are coming along nicely now. Just about to get a big delivery of the last of the subtitle files.

The orange is really close to the yellow on my monitor; it's kind of hard to tell the difference between the two.

Quick question: if I backed at the documentary level but not at the Blu-Ray level, do I have to purchase the remastered collection in order to get access to the extras?
The digital files will be upgraded to the new versions. You have the Deluxe edition on VHX, right?

Color is just about done, which will be followed by a noise reduction pass that won't take very long. Master renders will be time consuming but those will be run overnight and in batches when possible. Nearly all commentary has been recorded and turned over for mixing. Subtitles are really close to being done, the last deliverable had a timing bug the conversion place should be able to easily fix. After that they'll all be in hand. Disc menus are white boxed and need a final design pass by the artist. We're still grabbing bits and pieces of extra footage, and most everything we have already has been cleared for release. Everything will get a quick mastering pass in audio post to be around the same level.

I'm burning a test of all the disc 1 content, it's taken over 5 hours so far! Yay!

Woo!

I'm burning a test of all the disc 1 content, it's taken over 5 hours so far! Yay!

Hrmm... does this mean it would take 10 hours to render each disc?

I assume once rendered there's an easy way to actually take that "IT WORKS" master for quick reproduction.

I don't know anything about the technical end. Which is why I guess companies like Diskmaster exist.

Anyways... getting closer and closer.

Hrmm... does this mean it would take 10 hours to render each disc?

I assume once rendered there's an easy way to actually take that "IT WORKS" master for quick reproduction.

I don't know anything about the technical end. Which is why I guess companies like Diskmaster exist.

Anyways... getting closer and closer.

The initial build of a disc is always lengthy, so it's something we'll have to run overnight. The way the menus are constructed makes testing in the program impossible though, so that's the biggest pain. Have to be sure everything is ok before running a burn, and that means methodical checking of hundreds of button paths and content connections. It's kind of like making a game! (not really)

Thanks Paul.

Man... so you have to create a version, test it, hope it works and if anything fails spend hours going back into the coding and reburning again?

You need an intern or a grunt... but they need to be stipend somehow. I'd take the job but I'm all the way out in NYC and that's pretty much the only Doublefine job I'm qualified for... (well executive assistant to do all those things that others don't have time for cause they gotta do good stuff... and I don't think DF have enough to fly me out and put me up for awhile till I get on my feet.)

Disc 1 is having playback bugs that I can't identify and fix directly. Audio tracks from episode 2-8 simply stop functioning a few minutes into episode 2. My best guess is a bug being caused by the length and complexity of the timeline (4 hours of video with 3 audio tracks and thousands of subtitles). Will rebuild the series episodes in individual timelines to test for a possible solution.

Good news today! I totally restructured the disc build with a different layout and burnt the new test last night, and it appears that everything is working properly now. There are still a few navigation bugs that i'll be able to track down simply enough, but i'm no longer having audio playback issues or improper rendering of the subtitles. I streamlined many of the menu operations that introduced bugs and added frivolous complexity, but in no way that I think will detract from the user experience.

This current build will act as a template for the other discs, and while I currently have it entirely populated by placeholder material, it's simple enough to swap assets out. I'll begin posting visuals as we move forward replacing the temp materials with final design elements. As far as game dev terminology goes, I would say we're at a "second alpha".