Levering_2pp

Backer Blu-ray Production Status

As a web developer I frequently see HTML/CSS hacked together into ungodly monsters that seem to be OK to their creators. ("It works! For me...") They then get confused and understandably frustrated when their users complain that things don't work well for them, and they have no idea how to fix things. That's often when I get called in.

For people like me who have been working professionally for 15 years, we've seen all the problems many times before, and we know how to fix them quickly and without fuss. The resulting code is clean, efficient, written to the correct standards, and guaranteed to work into the foreseeable future for all users, across all devices.

Whenever I wade into territory I'm unfamiliar with (eg Flash), I know I could probably hack it together, too -- indeed I've had to at times, and it's great to learn new skills -- but experience has taught me its nearly always a false economy to do so. Especially if I'm finding myself truly lost, not understanding the problems I'm facing. An expert is so substantially better than I ever will be in the time I have, that I now value their input more than ever.

I'm sure you know all this, and I'm probably worrying unnecessarily, but the good thing about websites is they can be rewritten at any time. Mistakes can be easily fixed. A Blu-Ray is, dare I say, locked for posterity.

So, all I'm asking is: Please don't hack this together only to discover that it doesn't work properly across all devices for all users. The backlash will not only be immense, but you'll end up losing more money than if you'd approached a top quality freelancer to look over things now.

Just my 2 concerned cents as a backer -- hopefully my fears are completely and totally unfounded!

I've authored and shipped 17 DVD discs and 3 Blu-rays, without issue from the recipients. These programs are a pain, as anyone who uses them will tell you. I've wanted to share this process out of the spirit of the project's transparency, but there will be problems. Lots and lots of problems. Until there aren't any more problems, because i've fixed them all. That's how it goes.

I'm sorry if I offended you, Paul. I know Blu-Ray authoring is extremely complicated -- especially compared to DVD authoring (which is a completely different kettle of fish). I appreciate your transparency and can see the spirit with which you're sharing the updates. I hope you can see the spirit with which I shared my comment, too. I only want the Blu-Ray to be perfect.

Speaking to both Thunderpeel and Paul's post.

I don't even have something to WATCH the Blu-Ray on right now (my PS3 is probably dead and I just haven't had a spare $100 to buy a new one , yet that's the version I want.

I also want that thing to work on a PS3 instead of having to buy a standalone blu-ray player.

I'm sure none of this will be a problem. Although if someone wants to send me a PS3. Let me know. I'll take it.

Speaking to both Thunderpeel and Paul's post.

I don't even have something to WATCH the Blu-Ray on right now (my PS3 is probably dead and I just haven't had a spare $100 to buy a new one , yet that's the version I want.

I also want that thing to work on a PS3 instead of having to buy a standalone blu-ray player.

I'm sure none of this will be a problem. Although if someone wants to send me a PS3. Let me know. I'll take it.

I'm testing on PS3 and PS4.

How many blank BluRay disks are you going through to test? Seems like it might add up. :)

Thanks for all your hard work!

How many blank BluRay disks are you going through to test? Seems like it might add up. :)

Thanks for all your hard work!

I went through plenty of discs with my working prototypes, but when i'm stuck on errors i'll switch to just creating an ISO so discs don't get wasted.

After much testing i've found the source of the problem and things are back on track again. It seems like all my sub menu files are corrupt, though I can't imagine why. Fresh builds of the psd's might do the trick.

I'm still amazed at the amount of work you guys manage. Yowza.

Smiles

Any news? :)

I'm trying to approach the menu errors from another direction. Have been getting some outside assistance but no real improvement yet. While that is going on, i've been doing a polish pass in the photoshop layers and trying out a new codec for video conversion. I'll have a more substantial update when I feel like i've had significant progress.

Anything new about the finishing date of the Blu-Ray? May ist coming and still no big backer-box - more then four years after paying.

Anything new about the finishing date of the Blu-Ray? May ist coming and still no big backer-box - more then four years after paying.

You make it sound like it was supposed to ship immediately after payment.

The sidequest list is missing Tim's "It's All Coming Back to Me" and "Put Your Lips on That" interviews; are they being omitted because they include scenes from Day of the Tentacle and Full Throttle?

Yeah, they're more to do with the Remasters than Broken Age in hindsight. They don't have anything to do with Broken Age really.

The game is finished for over a year and the end of the campaign ist four years ago. Should we wait another year or more until the documentation is finally finished?

In February were told that "We're about a month away from going into full production."

Now, two months later, the documentation is still not finished and the Backer get few to no information. That annoys me.

The game is finished for over a year and the end of the campaign ist four years ago. Should we wait another year or more until the documentation is finally finished?

In February were told that "We're about a month away from going into full production."

Now, two months later, the documentation is still not finished and the Backer get few to no information. That annoys me.

I don't think "documentation" has the correct connotation here--2PP is not authoring technical documents or the game manual, they are instead producing video content. Lots of video content. Video production is a time-consuming process, and they have 20 episodes to work with! And even after they finish that, Blu-ray and DVD production come with their own time-consuming pitfalls, and we're talking multiple discs here.

While I agree that communication from 2PP is important, the documentary package is intended to be part of the big box; so, yes, I say we should wait until the Blu-rays and DVDs are finished.

Life is best experienced with a dose of patience -- at least, for me.

Smiles

Don't feed the people who don't even have the time to read the thread to see that Paul Levering has updated constantly, including pitfalls because of this being different than just a movie but a multi disc, multi commentary (2 per episode), multi extras/deleted scenes.

That work was all finished, but the disc authoring hasn't.

As there have even been discs that came out from super multi billion dollar companies of multi billion dollar franchises with errors (Back to the Future Trilogy disc in which BBTF2 was acidentallly cropped and Universal had to remake the disc for millions and send out new copies), 2PP want to gurantee each disc sent is perfect.

Progress report-

Seems like the major problems have been fixed. I have a stable build of disc 1 now, and some knowledge of how to avoid future problems, although I can't say that I know the specific nature of those problems. I spoke to several experts, but there was little light shined on what was happening exactly beyond "Encore is buggy, keep trying it differently until it works", so that's what I did.

The issues with the menus can basically be summed up as an esoteric combination of cumulative pixel count and bit depth across art assets. Things were simplified and altered in ways I didn't find to be too much of a compromise. Some may be seen as improvements.

We're using a new compression codec for the video assets that has resulted in a slight video quality improvement along with a slight reduction in file size. This created more head room on the disc, which is generally a good thing to have. Packing it to the absolute brim tends to be something that is just inviting problems.

This disc has all of the second pass videos with noise reduction and render errors fixed, so it's going to get a watch through to check for any new errors that may have been created. Should be in good shape though.

Episodes 9-20 have been finished recently, and we have commentary mixes for those now too. As i'm reviewing disc 1, the rest of the videos will be getting rendered for discs 2 and 3. Using everything learned from disc 1 those shouldn't pose many surprise problems.

What's the general feeling on chapter points? It's one of the last things to do for the episodes. I'm thinking one right after the opening credits so you can skip that if you want, then just at major topic points through the episode, leaning towards less frequent markers.

What's the general feeling on chapter points? It's one of the last things to do for the episodes. I'm thinking one right after the opening credits so you can skip that if you want, then just at major topic points through the episode, leaning towards less frequent markers.

Sounds perfect. I don't think you need that many.

As each episode feels like an entire thing I think as long as one can just jump the intro since it's the same thing each time is all one needs for bingeing.

Others probably want more but I'd think picking those is so arbitrary. Most TV show DVD collections don't break things down to chapters in episodes.

To me it sounds good this wa.y

Smiles

To me it sounds good this wa.y

Smiles

I agree with smiles, maybe 5 or 6 chapters per episode depending on length. Or one at each major story beat.

I think Chapters are rarely used these days. You don't have the option to jump to them on Netflix or on an iPad, for example. One after the credits, for sure, and then a few more for luck ;) The episodes are short enough to FF to point you want after that.

I think Chapters are rarely used these days. You don't have the option to jump to them on Netflix or on an iPad, for example. One after the credits, for sure, and then a few more for luck ;) The episodes are short enough to FF to point you want after that.

It's not that chapters aren't used on Netflix (Maybe also on iPad?); it's that they're not supported by the software or the video container format.

Chapters are used regularly with home video releases, which is exactly what we're talking about--not streaming services.

It's not that chapters aren't used on Netflix (Maybe also on iPad?); it's that they're not supported by the software or the video container format.

Chapters are used regularly with home video releases, which is exactly what we're talking about--not streaming services.

And this makes a difference to my point... how? Home video releases via iTunes have chapter points, but the ability to skip to them has been removed in the software. Netflix COULD support them, if they felt that was needed (the Netflix software can jump to any point in an episode without the need to fast forward), but clearly chapter points are not seen as something that consumers are crying out for any more (a change from the days when David Lynch releasing a DVD without chapter points caused a smattering of complaint).

My point is that they're nice, and should be included, but that it's not worth putting TOO much thought into them.

And this makes a difference to my point... how?

Your point appears to be devaluation of chapter skipping on the home video version due to lack of such functionality in streaming formats. I guess I don't understand why a regular, expected feature of one format should be mostly ignored simply because of its absence in other formats.

That sounds pretty good to me. I consider decent chapter points an unexpected convenience, anyway. I'm not expecting them, but when they're done well, I do appreciate it.