Double Fine Action Forums
Levering_2pp

Backer Blu-ray Production Status

I think it's because it's still listed as being "In production". Every film I look at on IMDb with that status appears the same way, and it won't allow me to view it any other way (when I'm logged in).

Edited by ThunderPeel

I forgot to post a followup, but the test master arrived and seems fine.  They took one disc to full production so it had the art printed on it and everything.  The remaining discs will arrive tomorrow-ish, but they'll just have the data without the art.

On 10/4/2016 at 7:16 PM, Reid_Harris_Cooper said:

For the record my review posted to the IMDB board.

I just hope Paul, Paul, Asif and the entire team at Double Fine (past, present and future) like it.

http://imdb.com/title/tt2261469/reviews-1

Thanks Reid!  We do appreciate it, IMDb visibility plays a major role when submitting to different video platforms.  Hopefully as we draw closer to release we can channel more people there beyond forum and twitter users.

Currently still working on storefront stuff and press/marketing.  We had a few outlets agree to take review copies in advance of the release on burned discs.  We've always been very grateful of the response the series received from backers but we're still curious as to how it will be reviewed by people further removed from the project.  Getting the discs to reviewers now means that they should have some time to soak everything in before our launch.

We're cutting a new launch trailer for the doc as well since it never had a proper one.  It has some nice things to say about the series and should have a little showcase of the blu-ray set at the end.

I'm getting pictures from some of the first materials coming off the production chain.  Slip cases so far.  The pictures are really small and not worth sharing, but I thought the progress update would be appreciated.

Can someone clarify whether the Blu-Ray will be available for purchase by those who didn't back at the appropriate level?

As a devotee of the documentary this seems like the ultimate version, and I want it!

Sorry if this question has been asked a million times.

5 hours ago, wedgeski said:

Can someone clarify whether the Blu-Ray will be available for purchase by those who didn't back at the appropriate level?

As a devotee of the documentary this seems like the ultimate version, and I want it!

I feel like since there is no information about when these will be available to the backers yet the release date for retail sale is probably a long way out. 

Then again I have no inside information, so maybe they will be available around the same time, but so far no real word on when that will be yet. Other than "when they are ready". 

11 hours ago, wedgeski said:

5 hours ago, Uemantra said:

I feel like since there is no information about when these will be available to the backers yet the release date for retail sale is probably a long way out. 

Then again I have no inside information, so maybe they will be available around the same time, but so far no real word on when that will be yet. Other than "when they are ready". 

We'll have some extras for sale, and i'm thinking we should do a limited pre-sale on those to get a sense of if we should order another quantity sooner.  Still waiting on a window for product arrival though and can't guess at dates until we know more.

Is it acceptable yet to start being frustrated with Duplitech?

I know they're a company with huge clients and such with major TV shows and DFA is an "internet production" (for now... I'm hoping you guys land a HULU or Netflix contract one day)  but come on.

I mean you did almost all the work for them.  It stars Elijah Wood and Jack Black.  Sorry, I'll calm down... just being so close yet so far away feels frustrating.  I want world to see this finished version  (okay me, but I'm not selfish... so the world).

13 hours ago, Reid_Harris_Cooper said:

It stars Elijah Wood and Jack Black.

To be fair, Broken Age stars Elijah Wood and Masasa Moyo, with Jack Black in a supporting role; while DFA! (what this thread is about) stars Double Fine.

Things are coming along.  It's a big order with lots of custom pieces.  As of right now I've been told things will ship from manufacturer on Nov 1 to distribution, but I don't have any projections on how long that bulk initial shipping will take along with the packing of individual items for backers.  I'll have an update as soon as we know more!

Actually it looks like we're getting some final production copies here at the office tomorrow, so things are further along than I thought.  The full order is still being packed and assembled, but they pulled a few to send ahead so we could check them out.

And some bad news, there was an error in the top portion of the big box printing and they all need to be redone now.  I'm still awaiting the package with physical product today, i'll post hidden picture links for people who want to check it out.  The status right now after this delay is that i'm crossing my fingers we can get everything to Fangamer before black friday hits.

4 hours ago, Levering_2pp said:

Here's a link to a quick gallery I put together 

http://imgur.com/a/Zwhef

And this is just the piece inside the actual big box if I understand it.  I can't even process what that BIG box will look like that houses this.  Or am Understanding wrong?

Apologies if this has been answered before, but will there be another address survey before the documentary discs are sent out? Because my address will change at some point over the next couple of months.

On 10/17/2016 at 9:50 PM, Levering_2pp said:

We'll have some extras for sale, and i'm thinking we should do a limited pre-sale on those to get a sense of if we should order another quantity sooner.  Still waiting on a window for product arrival though and can't guess at dates until we know more.

Brilliant, thanks.

Can you ensure to update this thread when/if that happens?

NB

On 10/25/2016 at 5:09 PM, Levering_2pp said:

Here's a link to a quick gallery I put together 

http://imgur.com/a/Zwhef

im getting the blu-ray version but i was wondering if the dvd version was going to look any different?
also do to haveing less discs are there any intresting menu screens the dvd version has that the blu-ray does not?

On 10/27/2016 at 7:46 AM, 8bit games said:

im getting the blu-ray version but i was wondering if the dvd version was going to look any different?
also do to haveing less discs are there any intresting menu screens the dvd version has that the blu-ray does not?

The DVD version has more discs since the storage ratio between the two formats is different, we just use the two end flaps for pockets.  DVD menus are totally different too because of the technical differences in the formats and the need to make text more legible on the lower res DVD.  Packaging is all the same except the slip case says DVD in place of blu-ray.

Edited by Levering_2pp

On 10/26/2016 at 5:38 AM, wedgeski said:

Brilliant, thanks.

Can you ensure to update this thread when/if that happens?

NB

Oh course, i'll hit all the different outlets with an update.  Delivery dates are still in the air so no firm dates until that's settled.

On 10/25/2016 at 7:00 PM, Reid_Harris_Cooper said:

And this is just the piece inside the actual big box if I understand it.  I can't even process what that BIG box will look like that houses this.  Or am Understanding wrong?

Big box is separate, I thought it had been revealed in a previous update.  We'll probably have an unboxing video with Tim when we receive the first office copies.  

On 10/26/2016 at 4:15 AM, Jurie said:

Apologies if this has been answered before, but will there be another address survey before the documentary discs are sent out? Because my address will change at some point over the next couple of months.

You should be ok if your address is changing in a few months.  Things look to be shipping out to backers in November.  You can contact orders@fangamer.com for changes though.

12 minutes ago, Levering_2pp said:

Big box is separate, I thought it had been revealed in a previous update.  We'll probably have an unboxing video with Tim when we receive the first office copies.  

Tim tweeted the big box alongside other boxes on a shelf now that I recall.  Which I can't remember if I was the one to actually repost in the forum or not, probably me...but I guess I forgot.  Tim didn't show off the actual box itself though, or how it'll be housing this and what if anything (manual, sticker, codewheel that has no purpose) it also has inside. 

Just a quick update, but we're working towards getting things to Fangamer before the Black Friday rush so boxes can be sent out before holiday orders flood in.  It's going to be close but everyone is working hard to make it happen.