Double Fine Action Forums
Levering_2pp

Backer Blu-ray Production Status

22 hours ago, Tyler Sticka said:

Been enjoying the Blu-rays off and on all weekend with zero issues. The presentation is really lovely, and it's a treat watching these with commentary!

Awesome, good to hear!

Got mine a couple days ago! I was toying around with the idea of not opening it, but then when I turned it over and saw that the back side of the box was upside down compared to the front, my OCD had to fix it.... so now it's opened and facing the correct way, but it's nice... and facing the correct way. I love the extras and the Blu-rays. Thank you DF and 2PP for the experience, it's been a long, fun journey getting to this point and I can say with certainty that I was not disappointed.

So, now I'm looking forward to Psychonauts 2!!!! Ugh, can we get to 2020 now?

I still haven't received mine yet despite receiving shipping confirmation two weeks ago today. I'm a little worried because I've been trying to get a replacement for a faulty bluray disc from a live concert special edition I bought way back in June and they've tried shipping it 3 times in almost 2 months and I've not gotten it yet....

1 hour ago, MusicallyInspired said:

I still haven't received mine yet despite receiving shipping confirmation two weeks ago today. I'm a little worried because I've been trying to get a replacement for a faulty bluray disc from a live concert special edition I bought way back in June and they've tried shipping it 3 times in almost 2 months and I've not gotten it yet....

Where do you live if you don't mind me asking?

On 12/3/2016 at 0:43 AM, ThunderPeel said:

Mine turned up without warning! I'm based in the UK. It's very bittersweet that the journey is finally over! The box is sitting next to me as I type this, unopened. I don't really want it to be over. It's been so amazing. Sigh.

Edit: I opened it. The DFA documentary sleeve is GORGEOUS! I might have to get some of those Bagel prints framed, too.

I'm hoping that's what'll happen to me too, as I've not heard anything from Fangamer since the email asking to check my shipping address last month. I will appreciate it as much no matter when I receive it though, so I'm not worried.

Received the box yesterday and I'm absolutely over the moon. I don't think I've been so excited for packaging in my life!

Great job with the box design and disk gatefold! Looking forward to re-watching the documentary and showing it to some new viewers. Having the campaign come to an end is bittersweet as I've enjoyed the long road to get here. Congrats to all involved for the tremendous work to deliver such an inspired product! 

5 hours ago, MusicallyInspired said:

Portage La Prairie, Manitoba, Canada

That's unfortunate, I haven't heard of problems shipping to Canada coming up before.  I'll talk to Fangamer about what tracking options exist.

44 minutes ago, Ford_Cruller said:

Received the box yesterday and I'm absolutely over the moon. I don't think I've been so excited for packaging in my life!

Great job with the box design and disk gatefold! Looking forward to re-watching the documentary and showing it to some new viewers. Having the campaign come to an end is bittersweet as I've enjoyed the long road to get here. Congrats to all involved for the tremendous work to deliver such an inspired product! 

Thanks, glad you're happy with it!

Almost everything about the blu-ray packaging design is intentional and has some meaning.

The slip is dark and glossy to symbolize the traditional outward presentation of the games industry. The game is big on a screen and the creator is in the shadows.  We (2PP) are on the back (behind) the project but obscured even further.

The layout of the text is an homage to one of our biggest influences.

The wallet inside is soft and warm, filled with friendly faces. Welcoming. Tim's initial idea is drawn on the board contrasting the start of the project with the end(slipcase).  Tim is more clearly featured but his back is still towards the viewer, the intention being to draw more attention to the contribution of the team who are often overlooked in promotion. 

The discs are roughly color coded to the person standing at the sleeve die cut.  Disc 1 features the colors of the Broken Age main menu, 2 and 3 continue that style to form a complete analogous color wheel.  The color scheme of each disc carries through to the menus.

The data disc features a completely different design to set itself apart, with the hex pals implying data/programming/archiving.

Not intentional design features are the blu-rays wallets arriving kind of slanty in their shrink wrap, getting stuck in their slip cases, or being stuck in the raised compartment causing you to have to take the whole thing out to avoid tearing it. 

The packaging is very well executed and looks great, the Blu-rays seem to work well (Well, I only tested disc one so far. :3), and I am overall happy with how this release turned out; however, I did notice two things:

• I had trouble getting the discs out of the sleeves. It may have been better if the thumb cutouts went all the way to the center of the discs, so users could properly grip the disc.
  • I noticed that, when looking at the back of the big box, that the top and bottom edges of the lid bowed out, leaving questionably-sized gaps. (Basically, the fit could have been better.) I'm not sure if it's just my copy or what.

50 minutes ago, nmalinoski said:

The packaging is very well executed and looks great, the Blu-rays seem to work well (Well, I only tested disc one so far. :3), and I am overall happy with how this release turned out; however, I did notice two things:

• I had trouble getting the discs out of the sleeves. It may have been better if the thumb cutouts went all the way to the center of the discs, so users could properly grip the disc.
  • I noticed that, when looking at the back of the big box, that the top and bottom edges of the lid bowed out, leaving questionably-sized gaps. (Basically, the fit could have been better.) I'm not sure if it's just my copy or what.

The size of the thumb holes was a balance between accessibility and art.  Any further in would have cut into Bagels picture too much, so I apologize for them being a little tough to get out.

The bowing of the big box is a flaw found in the original DotT box as well, the price you pay for authenticity.

2 minutes ago, Levering_2pp said:

The bowing of the big box is a flaw found in the original DotT box as well, the price you pay for authenticity.

Then I have been mistaken; this is a pro, not a con. :wtf:

Just now, nmalinoski said:

Then I have been mistaken; this is a pro, not a con. :wtf:

It's a combination of the template and the paperweight of the stock causing the issue.  I was of the mindset to fix it, but some people insisted on making it as close to the DotT model as possible.  Had to fight with the manufacturer to even get them to run it at those specs.

9 hours ago, Levering_2pp said:

That's unfortunate, I haven't heard of problems shipping to Canada coming up before.  I'll talk to Fangamer about what tracking options exist.

I'd appreciate that thanks.

Should I in Sweden have gotten some kind of notification about this yet? Or should I just sit tight for a while? 

It was a strange decision to copy the DOTT box as much as possible. Everything about Broken Age is forward facing, from graphics, interface, to the game design itself, but the box design is very backwards looking, ignoring the design progressions made by Full Throttle, Curse of Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, etc. When we had the original poll in the backers forum, it looked as though the box was going to continue the present-day-adventure-game trend of the rest of the game, perhaps even going for landscape design (which was quite welcomed by the forum).

It's a minor thing, but I was surprised.

It was always promised to have a classic style box in the Kickstarter campaign. I like the old boxes personally where the front comes right off, rather than the top/side flaps opening up.

17 hours ago, Levering_2pp said:

The bowing of the big box is a flaw found in the original DotT box as well

The original DotT box was a triangular cylinder.  Still have it on my shelf; cool design that's a pain to store.

In fact, if memory serves, Tim had a poll asking whether backers preferred the DotT style cylinder or the more traditional box for the colllector's edition Broken Age box.

15 minutes ago, elborak said:

The original DotT box was a triangular cylinder.  Still have it on my shelf; cool design that's a pain to store.

In fact, if memory serves, Tim had a poll asking whether backers preferred the DotT style cylinder or the more traditional box for the colllector's edition Broken Age box.

We had a poll for vertical(DotT) or horizontal(Throttle) box, and vertical won.  There was never any serious public talk about a cylinder or other unconventional box style.  We talked internally about how it would be cool to do a Hexagon, but it would have ballooned production and shipping costs.

On 11/27/2016 at 7:58 AM, SubElement said:

Now that it looks like everything is fixed, can we get an update on the Sidequests? Can they get uploaded in ZIPs? And the missing files added?

Just to give you an update, i'm working on Sidequests now.  Trying to find either master quality exports or original project files for release in 1080p with whatever minor AV fixes I can do.  If possible, I would like to replace any b-roll we used that could be preventing wider release/inclusion with more product bundles.  When we initially put these together they were a rushed bonus feature for backers and there wasn't much consideration of their longevity.  Now that everything else is finished up I would like them to be an equal part of the project, so they'll just need some attention.

My box arrived earlier this week. Look forward to taking a peak inside. Thanks for everything, 2PP and Double Fine.

Smiles

5 hours ago, Reid_Harris_Cooper said:

I made an unboxing video for anyone who may be interested in those kind of things and seeing excitement.  I try to thank everyone I can but obviously miss thanking certain people cause it was going long.  Like Khris, Jane, Patrick, Brandon, Ben, etc., etc., etc.

https://youtu.be/KX99H5gg6Ao

My opening experience was not dissimilar to yours. The Blu-ray box set is freaking GORGEOUS.

8 hours ago, Reid_Harris_Cooper said:

I made an unboxing video for anyone who may be interested in those kind of things and seeing excitement.  I try to thank everyone I can but obviously miss thanking certain people cause it was going long.  Like Khris, Jane, Patrick, Brandon, Ben, etc., etc., etc.

https://youtu.be/KX99H5gg6Ao

Thanks Reid, your support and enthusiasm is appreciated.  Glad you got the box ok, even if it was one of the super rare upside down variants.

I'm from the UK and ordered the Blu-Ray on day of release. I received it yesterday, and I can only thank Fangamer for their timing, as I was off sick! So, I was able to enjoy all the new content while sneezing my way through a roll of tissue paper.

It's a brilliant package that reiterates all the love and care demonstrated in the documentary. Very well done to all involved, it is now a treasured part of my collection.

13 minutes ago, MusicallyInspired said:

Still not here....I'm going to check at my local post office just to see if anything's arrived for me. This is really weird.

If it makes you feel better DHL has had mine on a truck for 7 days now according to their tracking. 

It is a known thing that DHL is the worst shipping company around, they don't really give any shits about delivering things in a timely manner or treating their customers with any sort of respect. 

So I figure eventually I may get my box. I hope.

17 hours ago, Levering_2pp said:

Thanks Reid, your support and enthusiasm is appreciated.  Glad you got the box ok, even if it was one of the super rare upside down variants.

I appreciate your appreciation.  I appreciate anyone who appreciates what I do even if what I do is make stuff about other people's stuff.  (I mean not always, I make my own stuff too, but I'm mostly a documentarian).