Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Spaff

Forum cleanup

Hey guys! I'm just doing a bit of a cleanup of the forums, they've gotten a bit bloated with categories and things.

If you can't find something, it's probably moved to another category, fear not!

Eventually we will replace this forum software, I'm determined to do that, for now though I'm gonna do some tidying and hope for the best.

Whilst I'm at it, any requests? :)

Yeah nothing is gone, only moved a bit!

Except the AF 2012 boards which don't seem relevant any more - they can re-appear if people disagree though, they're only hidden.

Off-topic is at the popular kids table! I'm not sure what to do with my hands!

7kF5Y1F.gif

I agree that having those AF2012 threads disappear is kind of sad. I would like to see them posted somewhere.

Only other thing that I would suggest is listing the game forums with some kind of rhyme or reason. Maybe chronological, or alphabetical order. This is only because I have OCD, and it forces me to make stupid, and pointless suggestions about the way things are ordered.

I agree that having those AF2012 threads disappear is kind of sad. I would like to see them posted somewhere.

How am I supposed to keep bumping the Black Lake thread now? Hold on, I think I still have all my old Black Lake memes from way back!

*digs*

BLACK LAKE WILL NEVER DIE

W8urY.png

K5xzV.png

What some places do when they have too many boards is they have sub-boards, like Giant in the Playground does for their RPG discussion topics. So (assuming forum software allows it) maybe their could be an AF board for each year, and then under that board are sub-board for each game?

Yeaaahhh this old software doesn't support sub categories...

The day DF upgrades its forum software, minds will be blown.

Only other thing that I would suggest is listing the game forums with some kind of rhyme or reason. Maybe chronological, or alphabetical order. This is only because I have OCD, and it forces me to make stupid, and pointless suggestions about the way things are ordered.

They are now ordered roughly by release date! I wanted to do that anyway, but was putting it off as it was 15 solid minutes of clicking up and down arrows, each one with a page refresh.

I will burn this software to the ground if its the last thing i do.

Anyway. I think these boards are much more digestible now.

AF boards are back, in an archived section.

You're the man! I'm going to be honest. The way it was bothered me. I'm not so stupid as to think that it bothering me was anyone's problem but my own, but yeah, my OCD would kick into high gear when I would look through the list of game forums.

Also, chronological was EXACTLY what I was hoping for.

Yes, the forums look a lot tidier now. :) Thanks for putting so much work into it, Spaff. My biggest issue with the forums is that there's no way to skip to the first unread message in a thread, but I know there's no good way to fix that until you've made the switch to a new forum software.

New software is definitely a thing to look into, so that is good to hear. phpBB or something else would likely be everything necessary.

Smiles

Yes, the forums look a lot tidier now. :) Thanks for putting so much work into it, Spaff. My biggest issue with the forums is that there's no way to skip to the first unread message in a thread, but I know there's no good way to fix that until you've made the switch to a new forum software.
You know you can do that by clicking on WHEN it was posted, right? The bit to the right of the thread title?

...unless you meant from the front page, in which case ignore me.

You know you can do that by clicking on WHEN it was posted, right? The bit to the right of the thread title?

...unless you meant from the front page, in which case ignore me.

That just takes you to the most recent post, not the first post since you last read a thread.

Yep, so that's pretty useless, unless you're checking the forums every second of the day.

Yep, so that's pretty useless, unless you're checking the forums every second of the day.

AND OF COURSE NOBODY HERE DOES THAT.

ABSOLUTELY NO ONE.

NOT ME OF COURSE.

giphy.gif

In regards to replacing the forum software: isn't the entire site hooked back to vBulletin, the commenting systems on the blog and comics use it

No it uses Expression engine, and a very old version at that.

My current plan is to migrate to IP.Board as soon as we can, but its a big job, so it will take a while....

No it uses Expression engine, and a very old version at that.

My current plan is to migrate to IP.Board as soon as we can, but its a big job, so it will take a while....

Just make sure it still looks pretty! Whenever I see a forum migration the software improves but it always looks slightly worse :'(

Spaff seems to know what he's doing though, so high hopes! (no pressure)

ip board looks cool. as long as the new software doesn't have nested comments (like reddit), i'm happy. nested comments just result in the lowest common denominator floating to the top

Oooh, yes. Not a fan of nesting, or the upvote/downvote system.

No no, none of that nonsense.

just some good old fashioned boards, built for new fashioned browsers

Huzzah!

Nice to see a community manager who knows what the community wants.

Oh man, that's a MUCH better layout, well done Spaff! Great to have the bug boards further down and in a cluster.

Can't wait for some good forum software to come in, the current set-up has some pretty basic flaws...

Sign in to follow this