Sign in to follow this  
Spaff

Forum cleanup

Whilst I'm at it, any requests? :)

Make me a moderator.

Oh man, that's a MUCH better layout, well done Spaff! Great to have the bug boards further down and in a cluster.

Can't wait for some good forum software to come in, the current set-up has some pretty basic flaws...

Agreed. The new layout is MUCH nicer. And also: The whole DF website needs to be reconsidered (not just the forums) -- as I said when the redesign first came in.

Spaff!

I am glad this happened.

This post makes Spaff sound like a Batman onomatopoeia, and I like it.

Agreed. The new layout is MUCH nicer. And also: The whole DF website needs to be reconsidered (not just the forums) -- as I said when the redesign first came in.

Yupppp that's part of why it's not just a super easy switch. We have to rebuild the entire website, and port all of our data out of expression engine into something we can more easily use. It's a really big job, and I'll be slowly working out how we can get it done for a while i think!

I would love it if you guys tied the forum into Tapatalk or a similar app.

I will be happy if another forum I'm on doesn't loose, say, six months of data during platform transition again. So far it's been 3:2 no problems : huge data loss.

Although one of those was because the servers caught fire, so 8^/

I would love it if you guys tied the forum into Tapatalk or a similar app.

That will be possible with IP.Board. The current forum software, Expression Engine, is not supported though. I'd also love that, since I usually browse the forums on a mobile phone.

I will be happy if another forum I'm on doesn't loose, say, six months of data during platform transition again. So far it's been 3:2 no problems : huge data loss.

Although one of those was because the servers caught fire, so 8^/

I think it would be a good idea to set up the new forums on another server, copy data over and make sure everything works as it should before shutting down the old forums.

I think it would be a good idea to set up the new forums on another server, copy data over and make sure everything works as it should before shutting down the old forums.

That's how it's always done, no?

Ideally, yes. In practice though, I'm not so sure.

Ideally, yes. In practice though, I'm not so sure.

In experience, not always.

I think Spaff should just write by hand, on post-it notes, all the posts in each forum for back-up.

Smiles

In my experience, mostly it happens the other way around - the forum gets bogged down, database gets irretrievable corrupted, *then* people switch forum software when there's already a huge amount of stuff lost.

BTW, a large amount of spam has been hitting the Frontpage/News comments

Spaff, are you aware that the archived backer forums are still private? I thought the general consensus was to make them public? Just wondering. Thanks.

Yeah i've been playing around with that and i think it works now, honestly this forum software is a nightmare to bend to my will.

BEND DAMNIT BEND!

OK.

i found another huge grid of tick boxes, and from a non logged in browser, i can read threads.

i declare it fixed!

please insert reasons it is not fixed here:

i declare it fixed!

Oh no, where did all of these BABY forums come from?!?!

#vetjokes #sorry

OK.

i found another huge grid of tick boxes, and from a non logged in browser, i can read threads.

i declare it fixed!

Yay, you did it! Thank you :)

OK.

i declare it fixed!

Hurrah! You should make a news post about this. I think people might be interested.

Oh yeah! As a mega slacker backer who never got access to the hidden forums or the fancy badges, I'm excited to go back through time! :D

Oh yeah! As a mega slacker backer who never got access to the hidden forums or the fancy badges, I'm excited to go back through time! :D

Enjoy the glorious ride!!

Some of the site's fonts that used to be black/grey are orange now. o.O

WHAT DOES IT MEAN. o.O

Just making things a little more visible, hopefully.

Let me know how you feel about them - I'm just tweaking things around!

The new stripes are a bit atomicly bright O_O