Sign in to follow this  
Chief Wakamakamu

Zack & Wiki: Psychonauts II (in merit and sales, and in "YOU MUST BUY THIS FOOLS!"-ness)

lol. I know it's never coming to the 360. Sarcasm is your and my friend chief.

lol. I know it's never coming to the 360. Sarcasm is your and my friend chief.

xD

Sorry, I completely missed the sarcasm. Just... the thought of this game on 360 is... terrifying. It just wouldn't work, xD.

S'all good chief. Maybe microsoft will just buy the company out and we'll get a version then?

Does anyone here on the boards even have a PS3? As far as I can tell no-one does. But a couple of us here have 360's and others have Wii's. No PS3 love?

Okay, I FINALLY got this game, and it does, indeed, rock.

First five minutes of the game, I thought I had made a mistake in buying it... but I thought the same thing during the first five minutes of Psychonauts (I was expecting a more surreal-type game, and graphics like the cover art)...

But in both cases, I was wrong. This is, by far, the best game on Wii right now.

BUY IT!

S'all good chief. Maybe microsoft will just buy the company out and we'll get a version then?

Does anyone here on the boards even have a PS3? As far as I can tell no-one does. But a couple of us here have 360's and others have Wii's. No PS3 love?

I've got a PS3. Caved and bought one last week because in europe they're discontinuing the PS2 compatible models, and since I want one for Brutal Legend anyway I thought I might as well get a backwards compatible one. I don't want a 360 because 90% of its good titles come to the PC anyway, which is my prime gaming home.

I like it more than I thought I would actually, which surprised me. Resistance is a very good console FPS, and Motorstorm is rather entertaining as well. Also got Folklore which I've not really started yet, but it looks interesting anyway. Tried a few demos too, and I'll probably pick up Armoured Core 4 at some point. At the moment I'm more looking forward to finishing/replaying some older titles, which I've been unable to do since our third PS2 bit the dust and stopped reading any and all discs. But there's also some decent games coming in the near future too: the Ratchet and Clank demo was ace, and Uncharted is looking interesting too.

I think basically at the moment there's no exclusive titles which really sell the console. For the 360, it was Gears and Halo (Although Halo 3 = overrated :P). For the Wii, it was more the simple control system and pricetag, as well as Wii Sports, and no doubt this upcoming period of first party title releases will boost salesof the wii too. I worked for a year before uni, and I've worked each summer in between as well, and so in the end £400 for the 60gb PS3, 3 games, an extra controller and an HDMI cable wasn't a bad deal, but there's no compulsive reason to jump on board the PS3 at the moment (A sales spike in Europe is almost entirely due to the fact that the incoming loss of backwards compatiblity has pretty much forced people who want that feature to buy now). The biggest exclusive titles, namely MGS4, Killzone, and the next FF game (By biggest I mean the most hyped, rather than neccesarily the best. The FF series has been going downhill since it turned 3D, with the exception of IX which was fantastic. But I digress), are all some time off. MGS4 has already slipped to Spring 08, and the others are further off.

THIS IS NOT AN XBOX 360 AND PS3 DISCUSSION THREAD!

This is not even a Wii Discussion Thread!

This is a Zack & Wiki discussion thread! If you want to talk about something else, go somewhere else.

I think this thread is sort of dead at the moment. Heck it fell off my radar. Some off topicness can't really hurt it right? Maybe it will revive it.

I had a pretty long discussion today with a girl in one of my classes about the PS3. She just bought one. Apparently she has all the new consoles now. Supposedly MGS 4 will be the defining game for that platform and put everything else to shame.

Honestly after MGS 2, I can't say that I really care for the series anymore. Perhaps if 4 is totally awesome and alot different from 2 I'd be interested. But as it stands now to me, I couldn't care less. Although Heavenly Sword, Little Big PLanet and Resistance look pretty cool.

I just haven't meet nearly as many people with the PS3 as the others. I kinda wondered why. The price was a big factor for me. And Halo. I know flame me.

At the same time, I've been pretty dissapointed with the 360 so far. I hated Gears of War. And the only other game I have/had (besides Halo3 of course) was Earth Defense Force. And while cool, it's not like a killer app or anything. We are finally getting some neat things now like Bioshock and Mass Effect. But both PS3 and 360 are getting the Orange Box and Eternal Sonata right?

In the end, I don't really think I have a side in the console wars. I don't care who "wins" as long as I get to play some sweet games. Sure I root for the console I own. But I don't want to see anybody's platform fail. I actually like the fact that certain console exculsivity for games seems to be less and less. The more people who can play the same game the better. I would kinda like to see just a single console for all games. But I'm not sure that could ever be possible. Or if it would be a good thing for the industry or not. Who knows what that would do to things.

Ok, I'm rambling. Sorry.

Fine... talk about whatever the crap you want >.>

But really, you SHOULD buy Zack & Wiki... it's the best game on wii, right now.

Oh how I wish I could in fact buy it

http://www.nintendic.com/news/1395

January 08, Capcom delayed it so it wasn't lost among the (admittedly huge) pile of big titles out in November and December.

Still, sucks to be us.

Woe are wii. ;(

At least that shall give me time to actually purchase the damn console while plundering the January sales.

I just saw in EGM they gave Zack and Wiki a pretty good review. But they relegated it to a super small section on 1 page.

But Halo 3 got I think 5 pages. 1 of which was just a picture. Which sort of sucks for all the other games being reviewed that issue.

I seriously doubt that you could write more than one page for a game like Z&W;, especially if you work for EGM. It's a new IP, it's a point and click puzzle game, and hardly has a back-story. Comparing it to Halo (which has 3 games, books, and the biggest hype machine in the world) is kinda unfair, even if it does turn out to be a better game.

ANYWAY there is no reason why any Wii owner should not own this game (except for Super Mario Galaxy).

ANYWAY there is no reason why any Wii owner should not own this game (except for Super Mario Galaxy).

SMG is my reason, but I can think of another one. If I saw this at the store, at first glance I would honestly think this had something to do with Dora the Explorer (or her seafaring cousin). Goofy name + cartoony Boy Pirate + really cute monkey = Anyone older than 12 would feel pretty sheepish buying this. I'm probably going to anyhow, though.

That is what the brown paper bag and ''it's my cousin's birthday'' lie were made for.

SMG is my reason, but I can think of another one. If I saw this at the store, at first glance I would honestly think this had something to do with Dora the Explorer (or her seafaring cousin). Goofy name + cartoony Boy Pirate + really cute monkey = Anyone older than 12 would feel pretty sheepish buying this. I'm probably going to anyhow, though.

I wouldn't feel sheepish. I would feel like a man who knows a good game when he sees one.

Tell us, Chief, how friken awesome is Zack and Wiki? Tell us all of your views on it. I really want to try it, but I prefer hearing how a game is from people rather than in a magazine or such. Pros? Cons? I heard there's a character who has a voice that makes players go insane?

Just curious, but since there's a little Wii talk here, has anyone gotten the new Resi for Wii yet? It looks like Capcom finally pulled of the series into a FPS form that's good. (Unlike a few other tries they've had).

I wouldn't feel sheepish. I would feel like a man who knows a good game when he sees one.

Or a man who knows a good game when he sees a near-shirtless little boy on the cover. With a flying monkey thing.

Tell us, Chief, how friken awesome is Zack and Wiki? Tell us all of your views on it. I really want to try it, but I prefer hearing how a game is from people rather than in a magazine or such. Pros? Cons? I heard there's a character who has a voice that makes players go insane?

Just curious, but since there's a little Wii talk here, has anyone gotten the new Resi for Wii yet? It looks like Capcom finally pulled of the series into a FPS form that's good. (Unlike a few other tries they've had).

The new Resi is preatty good, yes. More evidence why, as of now, Capcom is the best Third Party developer on wii.

Anyway... as for how Friken awesome Zack & Wiki is... it's preatty Friken awesome.

Here are the pros:

The game is tough, but not impossible. Like, the puzzles make sense, they are just unconventional, but theres nothing where you will look back and go "There is no way I could have figured that out."

Frankly, although it's style looks "kiddy" at first, after playing it for more then a few minutes you will fall in love with it. Especially on an HDTV, it's one of the prettiest games on Wii so far.

And it plays AWESOMELY. Best utilization of the Wii Remote since Warioware -- and in a deep, adventure game experience? I would ask you to sign me up, if I wasn't already on board. I would gladly sign YOU up though. There are a few so-so controls, I would say 2 out of the 50 are slightly cumbersome, but even those are not "broken" just tedious.

Theres a monkey solution to one of the puzzles. If you can't figure out how to do it the right way, you can shake the controller for half an hour to break open a block of ice. It's brilliant! Considering thats one of the harder puzzles in the game, I actually ended up doing it (I figured out how to do it the right way later).

Music is EPIC. Not Super Mario Galaxy Epic, but the score is still excellent. I have the music stuck in my head as we speak, and not in a bad way.

And sometimes, despite looking lighthearted, the game can be suprisingly morbid. In this one level, if you can't save Wiki, the monkey, in time, he dies. And it's actually very, very, depressing, because you know it's coming and you were not able to save him.

Zack & Wiki fits nintendo's philosophy better then the easy Zelda: Phantom Hourglass did. It's easy to pick up and play, so "casual gamers" (such as my mom) can get into it, but it's super difficult, engrossing the "hardcore gamer" (such as myself). I doubt there is a single person out there, except maybe hitler, who WOULDN'T enjoy Zack & Wiki if they sat down with it.

The Cons are that the first one or two levels suck (but are short), and yes, Wiki's voice during the opening cinematic will drive you insane. Also, the game is over too soon -- I clocked 25 hours, but I had unfortunantly had several puzzles spoiled for me by the internet which decreased my time. Even after finishing it, you will have no regrets about buying it, because its just that fun.

So yeah... thats my opinion on how flippin awesome this game is.

You know, I take all this time to lay out the pros and cons of this excellent game, ON REQUEST, and no one cares.

thanks, double fine action forums. Thanks alot.

You know, I take all this time to lay out the pros and cons of this excellent game, ON REQUEST, and no one cares.

thanks, double fine action forums. Thanks alot.

You mean to say you are not familiar with the ''Imps of worry''? Nay, you shall not last long amid the culprits of unfathomable cunning and stealth. While lounging around with your brethren-- the Imps seize one's worries, without so much as a sneeze, leaving you surprisingly docile; naught but passion left within your bubbling can of Cremola Foam-TM.

I haven't played it a whole lot yet, but yeah I'm having fun.

*A bit of a spoily ahead*

lol I was on the "boss" level with the big ape and I ran up behind him with the bat umbrella. I was going to try and scare him with it, but he just turned around and began to swing his arm. At this point I just instinctively started flailing and, much to my surprise, he turned into a block! lol. Anyway, can you give me a hint on how to figure out how to make the ice key? I just did trial and error. :red:

Oh, and another thing I noticed is that for a seemingly kid-targeted game there are certainly a lot of ways you can die.

AHAH! SO THAT is the alternate solution to that puzzle! I thought it might be something like that, but it never worked when I tried it.

See if you can figure out the actual solution, sometime.

I figured out the Ice Key one immediately, but I do know other people have found it very difficult. I think it has

The game is more quarky then anything, I believe. I mean, if you think these puzzles are hard, wait untill you get further in the game.

Let us discuss specific puzzle solutions via PM, because I had many spoiled for me and that wasn't very fun, and I would like to refrain from spoiling puzzles for other people.

Seriously guys...

BUY THIS GAME!

I thought of all places I could get people to look at a stylized, innovative, underappreciated game, I might have had a chance here. But how many have bought it? FreedomBattery. (You rock, BTW.)

JUST TRUST ME. It's only $40, it's one of the best games on Wii right now, and it's being REMOVED FROM STORE SHELVES.

Sound familiar?

Please, I hate advertising, but I like to see good games do well. (I did a similar thing for Psychonauts at another forum because of this). This isn't a game like psychonauts that can be re-released on other platforms and still be awesome... If you don't get it when it is out on Wii now, you probably will never be able to get your hands on it!

I know like, we think it is our life duty to buy 12 copies of psychonauts... I just downloaded the game on my 360 today... but, like, we should also support other titles that are good but floundering.

And for those of us in Europe the release date is January 18th. Buy it people, buy it.

Edit: Incidentally, that was an order, not a request. I want to see actual games being sold on the Wii. We want to be looking forward to more games like this rather than "Generic-Half-Assed-Mini-Game-Collection-294-Now-With-10%-More-Random-Wiimote-Waving".

And for those of us in Europe the release date is January 18th. Buy it people, buy it.

Edit: Incidentally, that was an order, not a request. I want to see actual games being sold on the Wii. We want to be looking forward to more games like this rather than "Generic-Half-Assed-Mini-Game-Collection-294-Now-With-10%-More-Random-Wiimote-Waving".

Nintendo need to get their collective asses in gear and get some more consoles on the shelves first. Every store still seem to be sold out.

Nintendo need to get their collective asses in gear and get some more consoles on the shelves first. Every store still seem to be sold out.

This Site helped me procure mine back last Feburary. Amazon tend to get stock in and out a lot of the time, so any stock-tracking sites like this are a godsend provided you're at the computer when it comes in.

UPDATE: I got Zack & Wiki.

I am amused with the way they have not localized any of the sounds in the game, giving my inner Japanese nerd something to chew on. :3

It's also quite difficult!

The in game hints are effective (for once)... but sharply expensive!

*alt-tabs out of gameFAQs*

:)

I would buy this mofo if I had a Wii. (lol) But alas I don't (tee-hee)

Sucks that it's going out of print already. That seems pretty drastic and sudden. I know I'll be sad if I ever get a Wii and won't be able to get this game unless I resort to some crazy eBay-ness. Lame.