Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Loveblade

A Passionate Plea to Tim Schafer

Dear Mr. Schafer,

I call you this, as I don't feel arrogant enough to presume on our friendship. Let me start off by saying that I love your games and own most of them, some of them even twice (Psychonauts and Grim Fandango hard copy + Steam copy). Grim Fandango is arguably my favorite game of all time, especially its natural and amazing dialog. My knowledge of the English language and sense of humor, as well as my appreciation for the arts have all been immensely improved as a child thanks to that particular game. (Not to mention Tony Plana's wonderful ad libs. I could go on and on...)

I have been working on several fan projects, including a Bulgarian translation of Grim Fandango's dialog, struggling with the on point puns that don't exist in my language. I know most of the dialog by heart.

I love Double Fine and all it stands for, the emphasis on creativity, the tightly knit team. The part in the documentary, Mr. Schafer, where you had to lay off 12 people broke my heart as I found myself filling with the same bitter tears I (think I) saw on your face.

Amnesia Fortnight is so inspiring, all of this company's games are unique and artistic, valuing innovation, gameplay, style and ideas over polygon count.

Having said all this, about a day ago I inadvertently upset, possibly even insulted one of my idols in life - @TimOfLegend.

I don't think I will be able to sleep normally, unless I somehow right this wrong.

There's this show I watch and also love called Mostly Walking, where three game designer friends sit down and play all the way through adventure games every week. It's probably the most promising genre, narratively, but it's also flawed. But they love it, and Tim Schafer has been praised many times - Grim Fandango, despite some frustrations, is one of the best games they've streamed. The show, however is pretty casual, as well as opinionated at times, but it gives an honest first time experience of a game, warts and all, and they don't take themselves very seriously.

As I linked this show, in my infinite wisdom, I tried to find a representative video portion that would showcase this - they talked about loving Broken Age Act I, feeling heartbroken about Act II, feeling (as I did) something went wrong, comparing with difficulties they've had in the past, throwing around opinionated ideas, ultimately laughing at themselves for doing so and just being silly. They also praise Double Fine and the uniqueness of this company's games, which I resonate with deeply. Stacking is a personal favorite also.

In hindsight feel like an utter idiot, and I don't know what I was thinking. There's no context, nothing...

I had some worries the clip might be taken the wrong way, but knowing, Mr. Schafer, that you've stated you love Zero Puncuation, and considering the brutal things Yahtzee's said about the game, I told my self "Nah, it's 6-7 minutes, he'll see it to the end. And it's really not offensive, actually, right... I'll just preface it, just in case... 140 characters? Oh boy..."

I am a socially awkward person, and this isn't the first time I've offended someone without wanting to... even the wording I pick sometimes ends up getting me into all sorts of trouble, causing me to obsess over it...

Enough insane rambling about me... I guess what I really want to say is,

I AM SO SO SORRY!

I am not a troll, fairly inexperienced at Twitter and I hope you and everyone at Double Fine I may have also offended, can find it in your hearts to forgive me! :(((((

lol omg. Spaff or someone, can you plzzz forward this to Tim? This poor man has repented, absolve him of his sins!

Loveblade, it's important for you to know that Tim only posts in the forum very sporadically. If he never replies to this thread it might be just because he didn't see it.

I want to share with you some context that might be helpful. I have an artist friend who doesn't work in video games but is fairly important and recognized in his field. He told me that he actually closed his Twitter account because he would just get sooooo much hate mail that he started to feel kind of terrible about himself. Like, people would call him stupid, sexist, a crappy artist, and so on. Sometimes people might even have a good point (he can be ever so slightly sexist sometimes, hehe), but he just got so much friggin' hate mail that even reading constructive criticism became too much for him. He just tried to block it out until he finally got fed up and deleted his whole twitter account. So even if you have good intentions and want to help Tim by sharing with him your favorite youtuber's opinions, Twitter might not be the best place to share that because Tim could already be deluged with criticism there and he tries to block it out the best he can so he doesn't get overwhelmed. Now obviously I can't speak for Tim himself, but from my friend's experience that's what being popular on Twitter is really like. Maybe it's different for Tim and he will magically appear to tell me to shut up lol, but as DFAF's armchair therapist I just want to give you an idea of one reason he could possibly react the way he did.

Also I can tell you from personal experience that while getting criticism helps a person learn and grow, too much can just make you miserable. I used to work a sales job and while I loved it when my clients would give me feedback about our products, there were days where I would think "omg stopppp I am trying my best to make you happy and give you the good dealz, please stop complaining and just start buying stuff again." And that was my job so I was getting paid to turn those frowns upside down. I can't imagine what it would be like if people were always complaining at me and it wasn't even my job to talk to them. (Tim's job is to make video gamezzz, not to be a hardened social media PR cyborg. No offense to social media cyborgs, you guys are like the cool collected Terminators of the internet.) Anyway hope that helps, stay frosty dude.

Oh, with a crime like this on your record, it looks like someone is getting the Excelsior line at the Land of the Dead when the time comes.

If I can just actually answer the guy for a second though...

Tim has a lot of folks all the time harrassing him on Twitter and so he's probably quite trigger happy with his block button. Chances are, in this case it was a false positive. I think it would be good if Spaff or someone could just have a word. Not going to publish this guy's twitter name without permission but I think I see the incident in question and I don't think it was malicious and would be happy to provide details in a private message.

Oh, with a crime like this on your record, it looks like someone is getting the Excelsior line at the Land of the Dead when the time comes.

Or even worse - a dead end job at the DOD!

Tim has a lot of folks all the time harrassing him on Twitter and so he's probably quite trigger happy with his block button. Chances are, in this case it was a false positive. I think it would be good if Spaff or someone could just have a word. Not going to publish this guy's twitter name without permission but I think I see the incident in question and I don't think it was malicious and would be happy to provide details in a private message.

Thank you, KestrelPi!

Again, in hindsight I figure as much. The internet is a scary place. But both I and the show's hosts (who had nothing to do with my faux pas, by the way) are big fans and have nothing but love and respect for the two-headed baby and our dear and glorious leader. Anytime we dry dock the Bone Wagon, we think of Tim. One of the hosts is also definitely among the original backers, unlike my slacker self.

I just wanted to let Tim know there are people who care about the genre and the hard work and are making it more relevant in the twitch action game streaming world of today. Also wanted to voice my sympathies in such a difficult industry that I appreciate even more thanks to the documentary.

Twitter. Not the place. Noted.

Anyway, I'm sorry for wasting the community's time in such a selfish manner. Kestrel, if you need any info from me, I would love to provide it.

[Edit: P.S. Where can I preorder one of those torchfork things you mentioned earlier?]

[Edit: P.S. Where can I preorder one of those torchfork things you mentioned earlier?]

You could get them at Ford Cruller's camp store, but I believe they are out of stock.

You could get them at Ford Cruller's camp store, but I believe they are out of stock.

So you're saying after I get a psi core from the camp store, I can once more search for psitanium ore and farm some more to up my score so with enough I can buy a torchfork from the er... camp stork? Unless they're out.

Seriously though, I hope this thread doesn't just derail into nothing but jokes.

Whether he accepts my apology or not is up to him of course, I just hope he gets to see it.

Sign in to follow this