Sign in to follow this  
Spaff

Headlander Q&A with Lee and the team

Hey guys,

If you have any questions for Lee and the team about Headlander, leave them here and I'll collate them to get some answers for you in the next few weeks. :)

Dear Lee,

May I call you, Lee? Thank you, Lee. I have many questions that I hope you are sober enough, and can tear yourself away from what must be a host of depravities, to answer. For instance, what was the motivation behind making a game based on procuring sexual favors at Studio 54 during the height of its popularity? Was it the drugs, Lee? The myriad opiates, uppers, downers, and God knows what else? I suspect a yes is in order, but will the devil let loose of your tongue long enough for you to provide an honest answer? I doubt it.

While you are wallowing in fetishes, and impure thoughts, our modern day Isaiah, our new prophet, Kim Davis, wastes away in an Obama dungeon, laying down (standing is impossible, shackled as she is by heavy chains, and the collective guilt of a nation) for what she believes in. Truth. Honesty. Good hygiene. All things that you abhor, and negate with your very presence. I have fought your ilk before, waiting in line outside of movie theaters to choke on the filth of the devil's gateway: The Lords of the Ring. There is but one Lord, Lee. Just the one. And he watches you with his vengeful eye, taking note of the atrocities you convince mere children to do in the name of "fun." Fun. Ha, I say! Fun is an early morning prayer meeting, you degenerate. Fun is a single ray of light, poking through a cloud, reminding us of the imminent arrival of our savior. Fun is burning Metallica albums. You've never even seen fun, and so you attack our youth with your hatefulness.

Weeping for your soul,

Lovingly yours,

Eternally,

Share a Coke with,

OANST

p.s. What's your favorite color?

While I'm thrilled that the first Headlander question is outright bizarre, I'm not sure how to respond.

I'll keep my response simple, then.

No, you may not call me Lee.

Black.

Is there anything you've wanted a head to land on in the game, that you haven't been able to incorporate for whatever reason?

Smiles

Hey Lee, where did your apparent love for that 70's sci-fi aesthetic come from? Any specific shows or movies or music or games?

Also did you attend Headlander festival??

Headlander-web-header-2.png

;)

While I'm thrilled that the first Headlander question is outright bizarre, I'm not sure how to respond.

I'll keep my response simple, then.

No, you may not call me Lee.

Black.

Of course, it's black. Mr. Petty. Of course, it is. Like your soul.

Sorry, guys. Occasionally, I get bored at work, and need to amuse myself.

Is there anything you've wanted a head to land on in the game, that you haven't been able to incorporate for whatever reason?

Smiles

Hmm...nothing specific. The real problem is that we want to have a TON of things for people to Headland into...both to have fun, manipulate the world in some way and engage in hidden "missions". The limiting factor is always the amount of time it takes to implement enough of these things to make the world rich.

Like most things in game development, you can't put in everything you want and its always hard.

Hey Lee, where did your apparent love for that 70's sci-fi aesthetic come from? Any specific shows or movies or music or games?

Also did you attend Headlander festival??

Headlander-web-header-2.png

;)

I've always loved 70's sci-fi. There's something evocative about it -- it seems to really capture a time period and a way of thinking about technology that is, nowadays, simultaneously entertaining/silly and somewhat still poignant.

Here a few of my 70's sci-fi loves:

Movies:

Logan's Run

Rollerball

THX-1138

Barbarella

Silent Running

Sci-fi Artists:

Berkey

Foss

Moebius

Sci-Fi Writing:

Phillip K. Dick

Heinlein

Non-Sci Fi Art that inspired the look of Headlander:

60/70's lifetime illustrations by folks like

Bob Peak,

Mac Connor

Coby Whitmore

Joe Bowler

Late modernist architecture:

JFK Terminal!

Eastern European Brutalism

Le Corbusier

Googie style architecture/pattern

I better stop now, I could go on for hours. I didn't even talk about Furniture, graphic design or fashion.

Heyo!

The trailer looked great, and as a massive Stacking fan I can't wait for this semi-spiritual sequel-like thing. Couple of questions:

- From what I understand, most of the actual puzzles involve you stealing the bodies of various guards with different shooting patterns, which allows you to solve different problems. Are most of the puzzles action-oriented, or is there also some stuff similar to Stacking (for example: distracting guards by using the body of an attractive lady, or by posing as someone important, or chasing them away by farting, etc.)

- Are there multiple solutions to puzzles?

- Is there voice acting in the game, or will it be silent - like Stacking?

- If you could get rid of your current body and attach your head to the body of anyone else in the world: which body would it be?

1. How has it been working with Adult Swim? Anything cool about adult swim that differentiates them from other partners?

2. How has the idea for Headlander changed or evolved since the last AF prototype we saw? During the AF I got the impression that the idea for headlander was originally a more 3D type game with full range of movement. Was that the case, or was it always conceived as sidescrolling? (I am totally cool with the sidescrolling. Just curious.)

3. Would you say that, technically, Headlander is a game where you can give head to a dog? Sorry. You don't have to answer that one.

3. Would you say that, technically, Headlander is a game where you can give head to a dog? Sorry. You don't have to answer that one.

Yes, he does, damn it.

Since I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere; do you know which PC platforms the game will be available for besides Windows? I hope we'll get Linux and Mac versions, like with most of Double Fine's other PC games.

Many recent Double Fine games have introduced new tech into either the Moai or Buddha engines. Any new tech planned?

Heyo!

The trailer looked great, and as a massive Stacking fan I can't wait for this semi-spiritual sequel-like thing. Couple of questions:

- From what I understand, most of the actual puzzles involve you stealing the bodies of various guards with different shooting patterns, which allows you to solve different problems. Are most of the puzzles action-oriented, or is there also some stuff similar to Stacking (for example: distracting guards by using the body of an attractive lady, or by posing as someone important, or chasing them away by farting, etc.)

- Are there multiple solutions to puzzles?

- Is there voice acting in the game, or will it be silent - like Stacking?

- If you could get rid of your current body and attach your head to the body of anyone else in the world: which body would it be?

Headlander and Stacking are very different games, despite my obsession with body control.

Headlander is much more of an action game, and the mechanics focus a lot on combat and traversal puzzles whereas Stacking was almost exclusively adventure game style puzzles involving specific doll abilities.

Headlander is mission structured, but almost all the objectives can be done in any order the player wants. There are also multiple paths through all of the areas, with lots of hidden areas to discover and fun, hidden things to headland into, some of which are part of optional secondary missions, some which are just for fun! And experience, which drives the player upgrade system.

What both games have in common is that we are trying to create an alternate world, one with its own sense of "place" and backstory, that the player can discover by talking to lots of side characters and by head-landing into a variety of terminals and extracting information.

Even combat scenarios can be accomplished in a variety of ways, using combinations of laser combat/bouncing, head-landing/head-sucking, and other player selected upgrades.

Headlander is fully voice acted, and we have some amazing talent. You might even recognize some Double Fine favorites from other games :)

I think if i could head-land onto something, it would be a taxi-determied, extinct animal -- like you might see in the Natural History Museum. Maybe a wooly mammoth.

1. How has it been working with Adult Swim? Anything cool about adult swim that differentiates them from other partners?

2. How has the idea for Headlander changed or evolved since the last AF prototype we saw? During the AF I got the impression that the idea for headlander was originally a more 3D type game with full range of movement. Was that the case, or was it always conceived as sidescrolling? (I am totally cool with the sidescrolling. Just curious.)

Adult Swim has been fantastic. Great partners. I'd work with them again!

Well, the idea for Headlander was originally pitched back in 2011! At that point we were thinking it might be a big-budget, 3rd person game. But about 9 months later, a small team and I (It was the Double Fine Happy Action Theater team, after they shipped that game!) made a prototype in 2-3 weeks, AF style. It was a side-scrolling game, which I thought would work very well with the mechanics (bouncing!) and also could be done on a more modest budget.

Its a game where you can suck the head off a dog. How's that?

Many recent Double Fine games have introduced new tech into either the Moai or Buddha engines. Any new tech planned?

We are using the Buddha engine. Like most games here that use the Buddha engine, we add lots of things to it for our specific game. We added lots of things for Headlander!

So in Headlander... since you are technically just a head... does that mean you only really have to worry about making sure your head doesn't get damaged? Like if I land on some particular body, and the body accidentally steps in a bear trap or gets impaled through the stomach, does that mean that I take damage? Or is it more like bodies are just dispensable tools and I can be like, "Welp, this body's ruined. Guess I'll take another one."

Know what I mean? Kinda like in Super Mario World where you would kill Yoshi by purposely throwing him into a bottomless pit just so you could get an extra high/far jump?

Or is it more like if I get shot while attached to a body that I will also, as a head, receive some kind of damage?

Thanks for taking the time, by the way! And for entertaining our childish jokes! ;-)

So in Headlander... since you are technically just a head... does that mean you only really have to worry about making sure your head doesn't get damaged? Like if I land on some particular body, and the body accidentally steps in a bear trap or gets impaled through the stomach, does that mean that I take damage? Or is it more like bodies are just dispensable tools and I can be like, "Welp, this body's ruined. Guess I'll take another one."

Know what I mean? Kinda like in Super Mario World where you would kill Yoshi by purposely throwing him into a bottomless pit just so you could get an extra high/far jump?

Or is it more like if I get shot while attached to a body that I will also, as a head, receive some kind of damage?

Thanks for taking the time, by the way! And for entertaining our childish jokes! ;-)

Much of Headlander's gameplay focuses on the differences between the two modes -- head and body.

The head IS the player character (and we will have multiple player characters that the player can select from!). The head, and its helmet systems, are with the player the whole game. If the head is destroyed, the player starts from the last check point.

Bodies are disposable in some ways. Body health never regenerates, so its likely the player will be switching bodies often. Bodies can be used as tools, to open things, and as explosives themselves. Different bodies can open different things, attack different ways, and have other intrinsic abilities. Even though bodies are not permanent, if you really like a particular body, you will probably take more care to keep it intact -- rather than use it in a disposable way. Its up to the player how they use them!

(and we will have multiple player characters that the player can select from!)

OoOoOOoOoh! This game now receives the queen of hearts seal of approval:

http://dl10.glitter-graphics.net/pub/1679/1679980om30fxscpg.gif

Even though bodies are not permanent,

This raises another question. So let's suppose I enter one area/room and attach to a body that I turn out to like. I go romping around with it for a while and then get careless and end up accidentally destroying that body I liked. When you say bodies are not permanent, does that mean:

--A. Bodies CAN be destroyed, permanently, and then you can't get them back

--B. Bodies CAN be destroyed, but will respawn in the area you originally found them

--C. Other

if you really like a particular body, you will probably take more care to keep it intact -- rather than use it in a disposable way.

Will the game allow me to destroy my body with a diet of pizza, doritos, and beer combined with absolutely no exercise? It's possible I might already be good at this game.

Its a game where you can suck the head off a dog. How's that?

This is the most satisfying answer that has ever been given about a video game.

Will this be the first Double Fine game to run on Nokia phones?

Wait...did we never get around to porting Psychonauts to the Nokia N-Gage? Dang it!!!!

Will Headlander support the Siri remote?

Is that a thing now? Oh...that's a thing now....

We've been doing more in this project to allow faster iteration, so we've been pushing more of the live-editing features of Buddha, so that you can move objects in game, or change tuning numbers without having to restart. And the crazy amount of tech in getting that dog headlandable that was done after days of brow beating and verbal harassment by Lee (just kidding, it was pretty straightforward, and the verbal harassment by Lee is constant anyway...just kidding again...maybe)

Yeah... Not that I'll be getting one though. Since you're using the Buddha engine I guess there's a good chance we'll get Linux and Mac versions, but maybe you can't say anything about that yet?

Yeah... Not that I'll be getting one though. Since you're using the Buddha engine I guess there's a good chance we'll get Linux and Mac versions, but maybe you can't say anything about that yet?

I cannot confirm or deny the existence of a Mac or a Linux.

Since you're using the Buddha engine I guess there's a good chance we'll get Linux and Mac versions, but maybe you can't say anything about that yet?

I cannot confirm or deny the existence of a Mac or a Linux.

That's understandable. I'll remain cautiously excited for now then.

And the crazy amount of tech in getting that dog headlandable that was done after days of brow beating and verbal harassment by Lee (just kidding, it was pretty straightforward, and the verbal harassment by Lee is constant anyway...just kidding again...maybe)

Oh man. Lee is reading this thread. Now he's gonna come by your desk with a baseball bat.