Jenni

Releasing your creations under open licenses

D'oh. I meant to do this on Public Domain Day this year, but with everything that's gone on for me this year, I got sidetracked.

After releasing Doug the Ogre under the Creative Commons Attribution-Sharealike 4.0 license last year (along with Doug's mom, and the Jenni versions of Merlin, The Time Machine/H.G. Wells and The Blazing World/Margeret Cavendish, The Big Bad Wolf/The Boy Who Cried Wolf, and Captain Hook), I intended to support the public domain by releasing at least one of my characters into a public domain style license every year (the reason I decided to go with the Creative Commons Attribution license instead of just releasing them into the public domain is so that everyone in every country can use them, since public domain laws vary from country to country).

I had intended to do a comic with him to induct him into his public domain status, but since I'm preoccupied with my cross continent trip, I decided I'd just post about it instead. This year, I'm releasing Marvin the janitor/groundskeeper under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 license.

2014day1.gif

He was created on the first day of the January Animation Month last year, and made his proper debut in Doug's Moai Adventure.

I'll try to remember to actually release something on Public Domain Day next year (assuming I don't release anything else under a Creative Commons license before then). ;)

If anyone else feels like releasing any of your projects that you haven't yet (or sharing a free license project you already released) in this thread, feel free. The public domain will thank you for it. :)

I released a Tux inspired Linux design under CC0 a while back. I haven't kept track of them all, but it's been a lot of fun to watch it propagate and see the usages that people have found for it.

stycil_tux_icon_black.png

I also went with CC-By for a small example radio controlled hovercraft game I created last year for a talk I was giving on SDL and OpenGL.

Earlier this year, I made an example point and click adventure game about a crafty Marian, who has to rescue a bumbling Robin for a talk I was giving on using the SLUDGE engine. The code is GPL3, so it's not PD per se, but the assets are CC-By :)

screenshot_portcullis_small.jpg

Double d'oh. I missed public domain day again this year. At least I remembered in the right month this time. I've been debating about whether to release this under an open license or not, as it's one of my fondest creations since it was the first completed animated short I ever made. I also use it as my logo and mascot, but since I'm a huge supporter of releasing things under open licenses, and I'm really against Disney's continual push to extend the public domain back further and further, I thought this would be the perfect symbolic release for me as it's the closest thing that I have to a Mickey Mouse type of situation.

My original Cupcake Topper video is now released under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 license. So, since it's the premiere of the chef and the bird, anyone is free to use them in whatever they wish, as long as I'm credited. :)

With a major project just completed, I found time to cross some old stuff off my todo lists. One item was releasing the individual icons from the 2014 OSDC shirt under CC0. The themes for the conference were "open", "inclusive" and "connected", and I tried to go for a mix of technological and mundane objects that represent some of the means through which humans connect with each other and the world.

shirt.thumb.jpg.48e72304c9feba82d999efff65fbf17e.jpg

They're up on Openclipart now. Enjoy :)

Triple D'oh!  I meant to post in this thread when @Cheeseness nudged me towards it back in March, but I became sidetracked.

I meant to release Doug's Moai Adventure under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 license back when I started implementing it in Amnesia Adventure. But, again I got sidetracked.  As I mentioned above, Doug, Merlin, and Marvin were already released under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 license.  However, the Doug's Moai Adventure game was not.

U85NCr.png

That's all fixed now, as I updated the license info for Doug's Moai Adventure.  So now, it's licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution license. So that should make it play nice with Amnesia Adventure, and anything else anyone wants to use it in. :D 

Nice :D

I also collaborated with @flesk @kednar and Milan on a game for AdventureJam earlier this year called The Farrier, which is MIT licenced. We're working on a post-jam update to make it even better \o/

I'd also had plans to revisit a bunch of other F/OSS projects in September, but got waylaid :(

On 10/10/2017 at 4:29 PM, Cheeseness said:

Nice :D

I also collaborated with @flesk @kednar and Milan on a game for AdventureJam earlier this year called The Farrier, which is MIT licenced. We're working on a post-jam update to make it even better \o/

I'd also had plans to revisit a bunch of other F/OSS projects in September, but got waylaid :(

Coincidently I just received your postcard for The Farrier today. :)

While I'm here, I figured I'd share an oldie of mine: LASER: Little Arcade System Emulator Releases. It's an emulator for Midway's 8080 games.  It started off as a Space invaders emulator called Sinvader, created by Mike Green.  I got permission to expand it to learn programming, and ended up supporting many other games using the Midway 8080 chipset.

invaders.giflrescue.gifyosakdon.gif

LASER was first released in 2000 for DOS, but a coder named Steven Harris updated it to run on SDL instead of Allegro, and development shifted to Windows.  I updated it in 2013 to support newer computers and to update the game detection to use the current MAME rom sets.

The source code is released under the GNU Public Licence Version 2.

Shoot, I added images to my posts on public domain day, but I didn't post anything to release into an open license.

I'll go a different direction this year, and release a short story I created during NaNoWriMo 2012. I was intending to extend it at one point, but it works as it is as a short story. If anyone does want to expand it, or work from it, feel free since it's now released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Sharealike 4.0 license. :)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

It was another sunny day without a cloud in the sky. Julie Harper found it to be the perfect chance to head downtown to do some early Christmas shopping. There were shoppers all along the sidewalk, but nary a car in the street. No one could have foreseen the truck that would come barreling through the crosswalk.

Pam was asleep on the seat next to her daughter's bed. It had been a tough week. When Julie first came in, the doctors weren't even sure that she would survive the night. She'd made it through, but no one was sure how long she would be comatose. It was tough looking down at her daughter's bruised face, unsure if she would ever see her beautiful smile again.

"I'll take over from here, Pam. You look like you could go for some breakfast."

Pam looked back at her husband, whose handsome features were overshadowed after days of very little sleep and countless hours of crying.

"Is it morning already?" Pam got up and stretched. She made a weak smile as her husband came over to sit in her seat by her daughter's bed.

"I should go over to my parents. I know they'd want to know how she's doing. It's probably harder for them then it is for us. Julie is their first grand daughter. She's their entire world."

She could barely get the last words out as she choked up with tears. Her husband squeezed her hand gently.

"It's okay honey. I'm sure Julie will be alright. I can go get your parents if you'd rather."

Pam wiped her tears and looked into her husband's eyes. "No, it's OK. I could use the fresh air anyway."

Julie looked around. She was in an orange room with swirling white and blue lights all around her. She felt strange, almost like she was floating. With an unsteadiness, she brought her hand up to her face. It appeared orange just like the rest of what she saw.

"OK, this is weird. It's probably a result of the accident. I wonder why no one else is around."

She began walking forward and ended up in the back seat of a car. She could see the hazy white figures of three people in the car with her, but she could not tell who they were. She tried to focus her eyes, but no matter how hard she tried she couldn't get her eyes to focus. As she started to talk, her vision seemed to split into two images, with one side a shade of white and the other a shade of blue. Thinking she was having double vision, she tried to focus again.

Suddenly, the blue image changed. The driver slumped down into their seat and the car veered into the oncoming lane. Without warning, a tractor trailer slammed into the car and all three figures were mangled by the crash. The white image drove by the tractor trailer and pulled off onto the side of the road.

The blue and white images began to blur, and then merge before finally Julie's view became normal again. She found herself in the back seat of the car again. Even though the images were still fuzzy, this time she could tell who the three images were. They were her mother and her grandparents! She became increasingly nervous knowing the fate that the car would soon have. Suddenly she found herself floating up to the front seat. She seemed to be inside the fuzzy image of her mother.

With her adrenaline levels soaring, Julie was able to take control of the steering wheel just as her mother slumped in her seat. The car missed the tractor trailer, and Julie brought the car to the side of the road and to a complete stop.

With that, Julie's view changed to black once more.