Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Aractus

Buy GameMaker Pro for just $6!

A developer's dream. Pay $12 and get the Android Export Module as well. Also includes up to 12 games and their source codes. What a crazy, crazy deal!

Link: https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly valid for 3 more days.

GameMaker Pro normally costs $150 and the Android Export Module is $300 more. So that's a $450 value before the value of the included games themselves. A 97% discount off the full price - that's crazy! Check out the Youtube comments, lol.

RUiSf_iAjxg

I've already bought mine! I might yet make a game one day.

Note to people who will buy it, It is actually very difficult to redeem at the moment, They're working on it. They underestimated how popular the bundle would be.

Yeah I still haven't been able to redeem the Android Module. And "Licence viewing is currently disabled due to high server load, and will return shortly." So I don't even know my licence key either. But I don't mind having to wait a few days, it's not like I have some great game in mind to create.

On the up side you can download any of the games in the bundle and play them right away. 10 Second Ninja for example is $10 on Steam so even if you bought the $6 bundle just for that one game you'd be saving money! Same thing with Stealth Bastard Deluxe.

Yeah, I've been having a huge pain getting everything redeemed. I finally managed to register an account (but was temporarily confused and annoyed that the phone number requirement specifies that a landline is required: 1. that is a very strange requirement in the year 2015, 2. landline not actually required). But now I still can't get my license key due to the site getting murdered.

I've used the free version of gamemaker for years and I'm eager to try out those pro features I've always wanted to experiment with. Here's hoping they get things back in order soon.

I used my mobile number - same number listed on my blog.

By the way - what's the program like? Easy to use, difficult, requires a long learning curve? I'm looking forward to seeing what can be done with it for sure!

If I recall correctly, YoYo Games provides a series of tutorials on how to use it. It's not really difficult, more like starts easy but gets harder depending on what you want to do. Very worth it from what I've heard.

By the way - what's the program like? Easy to use, difficult, requires a long learning curve? I'm looking forward to seeing what can be done with it for sure!

That's difficult to answer, since I'm not sure if you have any other experience or frame of reference as far as programming or game building.

I started using it without any knowledge of programming and having never built a game before. The game offers a lot of drag-and-drop tools that allow you to build very simple but (I'll be honest) very poor quality games without having to write a single line of code. It comes with some very simple tutorials and very simple demo games. The tutorials will walk you through how to build the basic framework for more simple games like a basic schmup or a basic top-down perspective game (e.g. a sokobon-type game). I believe the last tutorial is for how to start building a 2D platformer, which involves some more complicated control problems and variables than the other two.

If you're like me, though, you'll probably find the drag-and-drop tools to be terribly unsatisfying, despite how nice it sounds to not have to learn or write any code. You'll want to build something better or add some nuanced idea that drag-and-drop just won't allow you to do. So you'll start digging into fiddling with simple things in the GML, like manually writing an object's initial speed and direction. And the next thing you know you're discovering that you can make up your own variables, and you'll want to play with that. And the next thing you know you're writing your own basic if/then statements for object behavior. And then the next thing you know you're using switch statements and building arrays.

If you want to build anything as sophisticated as the sample games provided with the bundle, you're ultimately going to be looking through the manual or consulting google to learn how the GML programming language works.

I think Gamemaker's drag-and-drop tools are a good way of enticing beginners to stay interested while they gradually pick up writing their own code and scripts.

Don't get any ideas about starting off with writing a complicated game like an RPG or tower defense game. I wouldn't even start off with gambling games, since those are actually a lot more complicated than you'd think. (Especially if you are thinking of writing AI for a poker-playing computer opponent, then you are definitely biting off way more than you can chew as a beginner.) Start off with some really simple Atari-style games and then keep challenging yourself from there and you'll have fun.

I haven't seen the terms of the license, as I understand it you get the current version of GM Pro for life (same as if you paid the full $150), plus updates to that version. I don't know whether a new "major version" would be free or not, there's no mention of this as far as I can see on YoYo.

It sounds like they have a newer version in Early Access or something? So maybe they are selling a bunch of copies of the current version before they fully shift their attention to the new version.

Well that's certainly a possibility and it would be a really smart move of them to give away these licenses so cheap if that's their plan, since it means they can up-sell to customers at a later stage. Of course they can also up-sell the other export modules to people that will need them later as well, I suspect a lot of people are going to buy those Modules when they need them (let's be honest, there's no point in buying them until you actually develop a game you might want to release on one of those platforms). I suspect they're planning on making money from Module sales from the Humble customers instead of bringing out some major new version that isn't free - after all they'd know exactly how well those Modules sell as it is.

Thanks for your other post by the way!

They have fixed the licence problem by the way, Redeeming everything should no longer be a problem

They have fixed the licence problem by the way, Redeeming everything should no longer be a problem

Nope. I still get the error that licenses are disabled due to server load. Must not be fixed for everyone yet. Four days later and still waiting on my license.

*circus music*

I was able to see my license code when I entered the Android Export Module voucher.

I didn't purchase the android module, so that unfortunately does not apply to me. Maybe only people who purchased the android module are able to see theirs.

Oh no it only appeared when it had a page that said "which product do you want to add the moudle to?" if you get my drift - it isn't visible in the main account page it just says "Licence viewing is currently disabled due to high server load, and will return shortly."

The funny thing is there are only 9,765,625 possible combinations of voucher codes. They have sold 70,962. The average price paid is more than $11 so I'd say it's safe to assume at least half the purchases have included the module, which would be in total at least 106,443 voucher codes given out. Simple maths (9,765,625/106,443) that's 1 per 91 possible codes - so if you started randomly entering digits into the Voucher Redemption Box you have a 1 in 91 chance of entering a valid voucher and receiving a message saying either "do you want to redeem the voucher" or "the voucher has already been redeemed" and a 90 in 91 chance of receiving the message "invalid voucher code". That doesn't seem like very good security to me! Perhaps they weren't expecting 71,000+ people to buy the bundle, but surely you should have a more "unique" and less prone to abuse code system!!

I doubt people would actually be motivated to rort the system when the license is only $6, and it's freaking humble-bundle, but people could still be making honest errors by manually typing in the wrong code and then activating somebody else's copy. I think they should have a system less prone to user-error!

Nope. I still get the error that licenses are disabled due to server load. Must not be fixed for everyone yet. Four days later and still waiting on my license.

*circus music*

\

Viewing licences is still disables (If it even if after I woke up today), you can download and log in and have all of the features you paid for. You can't see it, but the program still can.

*circus music*

\

Viewing licences is still disables (If it even if after I woke up today), you can download and log in and have all of the features you paid for. You can't see it, but the program still can.

Oh okay. I haven't actually tried to log in with the software yet. I thought I'd have to get the key off of the site and then put it into the program manually like the good ol' days. But if the program can just connect to the internet and hook me up, then we're all good.

Hey, does anyone know how to change the theme / colors / skin of GM Studio?

I'm used to using an older version of GameMaker that had a completely different color scheme and this new dark scheme is easy on the eyes and everything, but it also makes everything harder to see and makes it kinda more difficult to navigate/concentrate. I can't find any settings for changing the color, though, and if I try to search for it, the searches just bring up hits for changing sprite or text colors (but of course).

I reeeaaallly want to change it.

Another question if anyone knows:

In the old version of gamemaker I used, if you ran your game normally or in debug mode to test it, you could quit your game at any time by pressing the ESCAPE button.

In GM Studio 1.4, I cannot find any hotkey to exit the test run. I have to force it to taskbar and close it via right-click. (I guess I could just program in a key command into the game instead of using engine hotkeys, but... not very convenient...). I found the engine's hotkey bindings, but I can't seem to find a hotkey setting for this command... does anyone have any idea?

Not a problem if you run in windowed mode (in which case you can just close the window), but I set the global game settings to force full screen on start, so.... kinda need an exit button.

So many improvements and yet some of these changes I don't like. o.O

Sign in to follow this