Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Spaff

Day of the Tentacle Remastered at Indiecade!

dott-remastered.jpg

Come on down to Indiecade this weekend to get your sucker-covered-limbs all over Day of the Tentacle Remastered!

We’ll be unveiling the game tomorrow properly, and we’ll be at Indiecade all weekend at the PlayStation area where DOTT Remastered will be playable for the first time! See you there guys!

Look out tomorrow for screenshots and things! :)

Well I know what I'll be using as my desktop background. That poster alone looks amazing! Can't wait to see what the game itself looks like.

EXCITING!!!

But as another pointed out: What happened to the "Special Edition"? Why is this now "Remastered"? (Not that it matters too much, just wondering.)

Tim decided to switch it from 'special edition' to 'remastered' in

(somewhere around 21:00) ;-)

The banner art looks great! I'm one of those few people who has never played DotT through its entirety, but I think this remastered version will have all the elements that make me want to continue playing.

Tim decided to switch it from 'special edition' to 'remastered' in
(somewhere around 21:00)

Thanks for that link. Sounds like Tim sees the two terms as pretty much interchangeable.

I'm really hoping that's an indicator how the game will actually look: an upgraded version of the original with high resolution art work based on the original art style that was good to begin with.

I too hope this is an indicator of what we can expect. The characters look spot on -- something that could have easily gone horribly wrong!

I don't like the green rings to depict shadow on the ground, or the composition as a whole, but the rest looks perfect. Especially the sky.

Spaff, is there any chance of a larger version of this image so we can fawn over it? :)

Nice! Thanks for sharing, Ozzie. :)

I think they've put just the right amount of detail on everything. Lots of nice shading and little extra details on the backgrounds, but without making them look too complex. I like the weighted outlines too, especially on the characters. Looking forward to seeing this all in action next, and with the remastered soundtrack. :D

(Also, what's with Tim's last name getting misspelt lately? They got it right almost every time in that link, until the very last sentence!)

Wow, it really is exactly how you remember it looking... except going back is like taking your glasses off.

Here's a fullscreen comparison:

http://apps.voxmedia.com/at/polygon-day-of-the-tentacle-remastered/?initialWidth=662&childId=polygon-day-of-the-tentacle-remastered__graphic

Edit: Tiny nitpick. Bernard looks far more comfortable to me in the Remastered version. In the original he looked less pleased to me... Probably just my interpretation. Otherwise looks exactly like it should -- like the original boxart came to life.

I do blieve they nailed it as it were. Cant think of this done any better way or expecting anything more.

I can even see there is widescreen mode as well :)

I have to agree with the Benard face. He looks rather more dismayed in the original than in the remaster. But again it shouldn be hard to weak or improve and its not even coming out this year is it ?.

I have a question about the art style, as it looks to be almost 1:1 with the original. Is it completely re-drawn, or did you manage to score the original art work and rescan it? Or did you just vectorize the pixel art and adjusted it by hand after it?

Only the laundry room looks a little unfinished... with big pixel writing on the wall :D

That bit made me laugh! I assumed that they hadn't figured out what to write there so they left it as a bunch of pixelly lines. That said, even if they can't decide what should be written there, it could probably still be given smaller and smoother squiggly lines. xD

I get what people are saying about Bernard's expression actually. He originally looked more worried and pessimistic whereas in the new version he seems more determined. They've obviously changed the shape of his mouth a bit, but I think it's also to do with the shape of his glasses. The lenses in the original were more circular, and in the remastered one they are semi-circles. So I guess that made him look more wide-eyed in the old one and angrier in the new!

Also, the picture from KestralPi gives us an idea of what the new interface is like, and apparently the original wacky font is still being used. :)

I have a question about the art style, as it looks to be almost 1:1 with the original. Is it completely re-drawn, or did you manage to score the original art work and rescan it? Or did you just vectorize the pixel art and adjusted it by hand after it?

I'm gonna guess they re-drew it. Theyre very similar, but in some cases the changes are significant enough that it just looks to me like it was drawn. Compare the jail guard tentacle, for example

I dont actually believe in the case of Day Of the Tentacle and other scumm engine 2d adventure games, has any higher art. I do believe this is it. This is what was created. Not like modern games where its made in super HD and scaled down.

I could be wrong though.

But im pretty sure this has been entirely redrawn.

I dont actually believe in the case of Day Of the Tentacle and other scumm engine 2d adventure games, has any higher art. I do believe this is it. This is what was created. Not like modern games where its made in super HD and scaled down.

I could be wrong though.

But im pretty sure this has been entirely redrawn.

Most old Sierra and Lucas games were hand drawn first and the scanned in and touched up. Sierra even did old school style cell animations for some of their games. There was some interesting discussion about it when Jane Jensen did her Gabriel Knight remake, when she had obtained some of the original background art for the game, but couldn't use them as most of the original background paintings had been thrown to trash.

I think this is why Bernard's expression looks happier during that scene:

Untitled_zpsc9vndypp.png

On the left is from the start of the game after the cutscenes, one of the main expressions used when he's walking around the mansion. The right is from the scene discussed earlier.

At least to me, they look exactly the same, so they are probably tied to the same animation file. They would've interpreted that expression as more neutral because that's what fits better for the casual wandering. Of course, they could change it so in this scene he has an expression that fits a more sad/scared look, but that might be getting too revisionist. I think the original pixel art could be interpreted both ways in the different situations, so a change here might be for the best. I really can't say.

Oh and also

http://www.zockernachrichten.de/day-of-the-tentacle-remastered-auf-der-indiecade-spielbar/

If the image on this page is real it looks like we'll be able to use the verbs while still widescreen, adding extra to the sides of the main image. Nice! For me that's gonna be an extra replay! (The expression here is different again, it looks less happy than the time travel scene! Maybe it's fake, or they decided Bernard should look happier before travelling time. Time to stop posting, just confusing myself now.)

Wow, that's interesting. Maybe the old interface is optional then, even when using the updated graphics?

When comparing Bernard's expressions (in the remastered version), which images are you looking at? So far, the only images I've seen of him facing the front are these two:

dott-remastered-005a.0.jpg

day_of_the_tentacle_hd_repaint_full_by_bvigec-d73islr.jpg

Maybe he looks a bit different based on how far away he is standing on each of them, or maybe he's talking in the first screenshot and that's a lip sync frame? But it does look like, when he's in the chron-o-john, that's a different frame to the one where he's standing around normally. If you look carefully, his hair looks a tiny bit different in the chron-o-john, as though he's scrunched up in there.

While we're on the topic of facial expressions, I gotta say I love what they've done with Hoagie and Laverne! Hoagie looks like he's pouting slightly (particularly when seen from the side). It looks like they've slightly lowered Laverne's eyebrow over her smaller eye, so she looks extra confused and/or psychotic. Definitely think they've drawn both characters really well.

Dr Fred looks extra tense somehow too.

Sign in to follow this