Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Spaff

Day of the Tentacle Remastered at Indiecade!

day_of_the_tentacle_hd_repaint_full_by_bvigec-d73islr.jpg

Gotta ask the same question as people before me, is that a pic from the remastered version being shown now? It's the first I've seen with the verb UI.

I can understand the vectorised claims, there are certainly elements that don't look like they've taken hires into account, like the playing cards and laundry scrawl.

Overall I like it, but it definitely needs touching up in areas. The characters seem way too....soft? Especially Dr Fred in that chronojohn travel image.

Gotta ask the same question as people before me, is that a pic from the remastered version being shown now? It's the first I've seen with the verb UI.

Bernard doesn't have the new texture on his bowtie in that screenshot, so I assume it was something created by a fan.

Yeah, I don't think it's an official screenshot either. It looks suspiciously similar to a fan-made version posted by ThunderPeel a couple of months ago.

Yep, that's the one. The line work on Bernard is different too... with the "real" version using wider lines on his ears and stuff.

So I guess we still don't know, whether the verbs make a return or not.

By the way, I really dig how they captured the characters on the new poster:

CSBj0umUkAASOI5.jpg

And funny how there's a Lucasfilm logo on there instead of the LucasArts one...

When comparing Bernard's expressions (in the remastered version), which images are you looking at?

There's also this one

dott-remastered-004.0.jpg

but I'm 99% sure that's an idle animation so is probably not indicative of the "main" facial expression.

Does anyone remember if his expression changes (not including idle and dialog animations) in the original game? I really can't remember.

And yes, that screenshot with verbs is definitely fake, I thought there was a chance it was real cause of how close some of it looked to the official screenshots. But that's fine I guess, shame widescreen with verbs probably won't happen. It's easy to do the entrance to the mansion, but lots of rooms don't have that information on the sides already and they won't do all that extra drawing for something most people would only use a couple of times. They could've given them fancy borders, like the left side of the basement, but with no screenshot I now think the chances are very slim. But I must say I think the screenshots look great, exactly what I was hoping for. I'm even more excited to play again.

I dont actually believe in the case of Day Of the Tentacle and other scumm engine 2d adventure games, has any higher art. I do believe this is it. This is what was created. Not like modern games where its made in super HD and scaled down.

I could be wrong though.

But im pretty sure this has been entirely redrawn.

Most old Sierra and Lucas games were hand drawn first and the scanned in and touched up. Sierra even did old school style cell animations for some of their games. There was some interesting discussion about it when Jane Jensen did her Gabriel Knight remake, when she had obtained some of the original background art for the game, but couldn't use them as most of the original background paintings had been thrown to trash.

Oh well that is awesome, i did not know that. Thanks for explaining that.

Does anyone remember if his expression changes (not including idle and dialog animations) in the original game? I really can't remember.

At least in the Chron-o-John he's mostly panicking:

dott3.jpg

I agree, his mostly round glasses convey an expression of insecurity (after all the rim of his glasses are doubling for his eyebrows), which is his default in the original. But there are a couple of special case animations where his expressions changes:

full20090102154021.jpg

In the SE shots he looks more determined and relaxed, but to be fair, the low resolution of the original sprite leaves a lot room for interpretation.

Thanks!

So I think it's pretty safe to assume that his face in the Chron-O-John is his "main" face.

the low resolution of the original sprite leaves a lot room for interpretation.

So my next question is, should they give new animations in situations where originally it would been the default animation? Should they give him a new face for just before he gets sent through time? Or another situation?

I think if done right it actually could be a plus, but if done wrong, even slightly, the game would be worse off.

Should they give him a new face for just before he gets sent through time?
Of course they should... in the original he changes to his panic-face as soon as Dr. Fred tells them, he's never tested the Chron-o-John on humans and starts the machine.

This is actually fan art that I've made a couple of months ago :)

http://bvigec.deviantart.com/art/Day-of-the-Tentacle-HD-Repaint-Full-429178959

Here is the link to a repaint of Sam & Max as well.

http://bvigec.deviantart.com/art/Sam-and-Max-HD-repaint-430174305

Should they give him a new face for just before he gets sent through time?
Of course they should... in the original he changes to his panic-face as soon as Dr. Fred tells them, he's never tested the Chron-o-John on humans and starts the machine.

Oh yeah, it's the same expression that's in your screenshot of them going through time. So if the remastered screenshot is before Dr Fred tells them, that shouldn't need to be changed? I'm guessing they already have Bernard's panic face.

You did a good job!

Ah, I see. Thanks for clearing that up! That makes sense now. (And great job with them both!)

@ergocryptine - yeah, I'd seen that screenshot, but like you said that's during an idle animation and in the original game I remember Bernard tends to "smirk" a little when he goes into that sequence! So his expression there isn't expected to be the same as the other ones where he's just standing there.

Yeah, I'm dying to see those sprites in action, and I want to hear what they've done with the music!

Maybe DF will upload some gameplay footage next week. As long as people are actually getting to play a sample of the game now, I imagine it won't be long before the rest of us see some videos.

With a release "early 2016" I doubt music has been dealt with yet... or at least I don't expect it being implemented into the current demo. Obviously even the backgrounds aren't final.

Wow, great job on both. They could be the final artwork for an official release of either! They should hire you.

Hi :)

I posted some screens here! http://www.doublefine.com/news/comments/day_of_the_tentacle_remastered_screenshots/

I just wanted to confirm some things, now that we can!

First of all, we are designing it so you can customise your play through to suit your desires - you can play with a new high res verb bar, or you can play with the new verb 'coin' and the classic art. You can flip between old and classic art modes on the fly, just like Grim, etc.

Customisation also extends to music, there are two options - a new version with re-voiced instruments for a more modern sound, and a classic sound which we are trying our hardest to make sound like a soundblaster :)

The audio is taken from the original voice recordings, so is uncompressed - we're not including the old voice though, that's pretty much the only thing you can't customise.

I'l try and get some shots of the new verb bar in action for you next week, if the team think it's ready by then!

Oh - i made a wallpaper of the new title screen art for y'all :)

http://www.doublefine.com/images/uploads/dottremastered-wallpaper-2560-1440.png

I have a question about the art style, as it looks to be almost 1:1 with the original. Is it completely re-drawn, or did you manage to score the original art work and rescan it? Or did you just vectorize the pixel art and adjusted it by hand after it?

All of the artwork has been redrawn from scratch in high resolution, and tries to be as faithful to the original as possible.

I think this is why Bernard's expression looks happier during that scene:

Untitled_zpsc9vndypp.png

Oh and also

http://www.zockernachrichten.de/day-of-the-tentacle-remastered-auf-der-indiecade-spielbar/

If the image on this page is real it looks like we'll be able to use the verbs while still widescreen, adding extra to the sides of the main image. Nice! For me that's gonna be an extra replay! (The expression here is different again, it looks less happy than the time travel scene! Maybe it's fake, or they decided Bernard should look happier before travelling time. Time to stop posting, just confusing myself now.)

Yeah that's not from the Remaster, that's just very good fan art, which comes from the same school of thought we have - lets make this look like a high res version of the original, as faithful as possible! Like a VHS movie that you now own in 4k or whatever ;)

Spaff, could you please confirm whether there is (or ever was) any physical "final background art" for the original game? That is, did Peter Chan paint the final backgrounds which were then scanned in (and perhaps retouched) a la Monkey Island 2, or were the final backgrounds done on computer? Making Of articles are quite ambiguous when discussing this!

Thanks!

I'm so excited seeing all this. I only wish for 2 things. 1 that it would come out in time for xmas. 2. That we can get an awesome boxed copy in the EU as well. I dont care much for game boxes or physical releases anymore. But i tell you right now, i really want a physical edition of this with ALL THE GOODIES I CAN AFFORD :D

Thanks for the new information, Spaff! And the new awesome wallpaper. :)

That's answered a lot of my questions anyway. I'm especially impressed with what you have in store for customization options - that's a lot more than I was expecting and it sounds fantastic. Thanks again!

Spaff, could you please confirm whether there is (or ever was) any physical "final background art" for the original game? That is, did Peter Chan paint the final backgrounds which were then scanned in (and perhaps retouched) a la Monkey Island 2, or were the final backgrounds done on computer? Making Of articles are quite ambiguous when discussing this!

Thanks!

I was wondering this too. I asked about concept art (rather than final background art) on the Q&A thread a while back, just curious if they had access to it and if we'd ever see it. This was Matt's response:

We’re still looking for it, it wasn’t as well preserved as it was in Grim - we have photocopies of some of it, but we’re hopeful to find more of the original stuff.

So I'd presume that if there is any physical final background art then they'd be looking for that too (or at least come across some of it while looking for other artwork). They might even be planning on using original, traditional artwork for the Steam Trading Cards (seeing as that's what they did for Grim and some of their other games). But like you said, would be cool if someone could confirm how finalised the hand-drawn background art was though!

Thanks!

I'm fairly certain that all the DOTT backgrounds were made digitally, unlike MI2 which i believe was based on scanned paintings.

We have some concept art, and we are going to include a concept art gallery like Grim has. We're also going on a mission next week to the Lucas archives to see if we can find even more than we already have. :)

I'm fairly certain that all the DOTT backgrounds were made digitally, unlike MI2 which i believe was based on scanned paintings.

We have some concept art, and we are going to include a concept art gallery like Grim has. We're also going on a mission next week to the Lucas archives to see if we can find even more than we already have. :)

Wow, that is super exciting! I wonder if you'll come across anything else that might have been lost to time?

Speaking of GF: Can you please make sure we can have more than 8 saves this time? :)

Hi :)

...you can play with a new high res verb bar, or you can play with the new verb 'coin' and the classic art...

So glad that the verb bar is still available, I'm sure that will be how I play through on PC :)

Off topic I know, but do you have any information on what control schemes will be available on the vita?

Touchscreens fit point and click games so well in theory, but they basically eliminate 'mouse over' as a means of discovering interactive parts of the scene and your hand is also blocking your view much of the time.

I'd be VERY interested in some kind of rear-touchpad 'mouse' input along with the verb bar (and a face button to 'click') on the vita. A relative cursor would probably work better than absolute/1:1 given most people's fingers touch the sides of the rear touchpad just holding the thing.

I dont know how well it would work in practice but dammit it'd be enough to get me to buy it on vita as well as PC.

Sony seems to love it when devs shoehorn the vita's rather random input methods into games where they clearly had no benefit. This could be awesome (or terrible but optional and non-default), and is something no other platform can offer.

Also, everything else you said in that post is awesome :)

That's a good point, CountDuckula. Nice idea too. I don't have vita myself but I'll be interested in hearing how people find it.

Also thanks for the information about the concept art, Spaff. :)

Sign in to follow this