Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Spaff

Day of the Tentacle Remastered at Indiecade!

It's just you, I think.

Bernard definitely looks for too determined, though :-/

I agree. I love the look of the game from the new screenshots, but Bernard's expressions do seem less 'anxious' somehow.

As you previously said perhaps it's just my/our own interpretation of the older, less clear, art and imposing visual characteristics based on the delivery of his dialogue etc. Such a little thing but I'm glad others also noted it :)

The trouble with any sort of uprezzing is that pixellated graphics automatically look grittier without trying, so if you simply attempt to up-res them then the risk is that you end up with a naively smoothed out version of the originals. And if you make changes which attempt to be truer to the spirit of the original art but not just copying it, then you risk upsetting people who don't agree with the interpretation.

So in this case Double Fine have gone with a fairly safe approach which some people have noted does look a bit cheap in comparison with the original. I can see what they mean, but I am also by no means disappointed with what's been shown, and would also point out that Day of the Tentacle always looked better in motion, and had a very high stand of animation.

I'm looking forward to seeing this in motion, then.

If there was one thing that would sell these characters to me a little more, it's if there were just a little more shading on them to really place them in the scene, kind of like a simpler version of what was done for Broken Age, for example.

I'm very interested in what they've done to the music. Spaff's responses seem to indicate they've taken a light approach where they've used the original midi data but have done work on changing the instrumentation, but I think it might be a little disappointing if there was no live work done at all on this soundtrack, some of the tracks feel like they really want it. However I know from experience that great things can be done with sampled or modeled instruments nowadays.

The trouble with any sort of uprezzing is that pixellated graphics automatically look grittier without trying, so if you simply attempt to up-res them then the risk is that you end up with a naively smoothed out version of the originals.

A little trick to fake a bit more detail is by just adding some texture to the image (open the image in a new tab to see it at full size):

6Qa5raT.jpg

It also helps making this look a bit more like traditional animation... just make it an option in the menu. Now if they manage to roughen up the line-work as well...

I guess what bugs me about the characters is the inconsistent thickness of the lines.

dott_remastered_005a_by_shyguyxxl-d9eg3up.pngdott_bernard_sprite_rips_by_jhroberts.png

With the sprites of the original game all the lines had to be the same thickness since they were all one pixel.

But if you look at the new ones their lines are all over the place.

Bernard's ears are especially thick. On the sprites it may look like thicker lines but that's because they tried to put in as many details as they could which causes some lines to be right next to each other so they appear thicker.

Like, look at Bernard's right ear on the new screenshot. It's all one blob of the outline color. In the old game it's like that too but that's because it's so small that all the lines are smooshed together but in the new one they could've done it differenly.

Kinda like this:

dott_remastered_004_by_shyguyxxl-d9eg6fx.png

I know, I know, I'm just nitpicking.

I guess I'm just a perfectionist when it comes to this stuff...

Oh and I guess this is what Bernard would look like with rounder glasses:

dott_remastered_005a_by_shyguyxxl-d9eg5n8.png

I agree that his glasses should look rounder. The lenses make him look too confident. Or something. Everything else looks spot on, something not quite right about Bernard.

Would love this to be the keyart:

tumblr_mbsjwuKAL91qcn4i6o1_1280.jpg

That said, I agree that the backgrounds look great but like Laserschwert said, a bit of subtle texturing here and there could make it look less... "cheap".

Re: outline thickness inconsistency

That's actually one of the things I love most about the new graphics! But I think that's to do with personal taste, so I can respect your opinion too. I guess that's just something that some people are going to like more than others.

Re: Bernard's confidence boost (or change of expression)

I agree about the shape of his glasses. Like I mentioned in a previous post I think it's a combination of his glasses and the shape of his mouth.

By the way, I like the fact that they took the original's pixel aspect ratio into account. I've seen complaints (on NeoGaf) that the HD screenshots are stretched, so I assume not everone knows that pixels were sometimes non-square back in CRT-days.

Watching the screenshots in full resolution, and it looks a bit blurry, like they're slightly out of focus, and I actually feel my eyes get tired trying to compensate. Might be the lack of details that does it, I dunno, but I'm a bit worried this might end up as one of the most tiring gaming experiences of my life for my eyes. Looks better scaled down a bit, though.

I was about to say that you're crazy, but when I opened the screenshot fullscreen, I see what you mean. The backgrounds are very soft when viewed at fullscreen, and your eyes start searching for details that aren't there. I guess I'll be playing this windowed.

I wish they'd make sure they made an effort to hide the pixellated beginnings more. I can't imagine an artist drawing this from scratch:

mjwbMe6.png

(Sorry dev team, if you're reading these hyper-critical analyses! The only issue I'd really like to see address is Bernard's face.)

Those rounded glasses don't look right to me in higher resolution. In low res they do fit, but personally I think those D shaped work better on high resolution. Also I don't mind the variation in the edge lines, as personally I feel an uneven edge gives more life to the character. I low resolution it doesn't matter that much, as the pixel is no matter what just one pixel, but on high res a edge with just one (or even pixel) would look a bit dull imo.

I was about to say that you're crazy, but when I opened the screenshot fullscreen, I see what you mean. The backgrounds are very soft when viewed at fullscreen, and your eyes start searching for details that aren't there. I guess I'll be playing this windowed.

I wish they'd make sure they made an effort to hide the pixellated beginnings more. I can't imagine an artist drawing this from scratch:

mjwbMe6.png

(Sorry dev team, if you're reading these hyper-critical analyses! The only issue I'd really like to see address is Bernard's face.)

the game is still in alpha, and all the backgrounds are still being worked on, so this is the kind of detail that will get addressed in the next art pass. We want Tim /Peter / Larry to look at signs like this to decide what they should say :)

I will pass on comments regarding Bernard's face to the team, but we did work with Larry and Peter to get the characters looking how they wanted them, and with several billion frames of animation already done i can't see much changing!

mjwbMe6.png

While very close to the final version, the backgrounds are still being worked on by the team. So, things like that note in the laundry room will get additional detail. Overall our intent with all of this art has been to be as true to the original artistic intent as possible. We sat down with both Peter and Larry to go over everything, they provided feedback on every screen and Larry created detailed drawovers for all the main characters. We followed their art direction exactly to make sure it is exactly how they would have done the are in 1993 if they had modern tools. Our goal for this version was to be accurate as possible to the original with guidance from the original art team. Every background and frame of animation was painstakingly redrawn from scratch. We didn't use any auto-vectorization tools or shortcuts to arrive at the final art. I am sure everyone will have their own interpretation for how to transform a handful of pixels into a full resolution piece of art, but the art we have created was done with guidance from the original artists by a team of artists who have a lot of love and respect for the original art.

By the way, I like the fact that they took the original's pixel aspect ratio into account. I've seen complaints (on NeoGaf) that the HD screenshots are stretched, so I assume not everone knows that pixels were sometimes non-square back in CRT-days.

Indeed! I just posted this over there, thought it was worth sharing here too :)

The PC game was authored for CGA (Color Graphics Adapter) which supported the resolution of 320x200 pixels. And when you read "320x200", that is the Storage Aspect Ratio; The internal [width]x[height] dimensions of square pixels.

Most displays of that time were 4:3 aspect ratio so when the game is thrown to the display, it's thrown at an effective Display Aspect Ratio of 320x240. Therefore, the rendered pixels are stretched a little higher with a pixel aspect ratio of 1:1.2.

Here's a framebuffer of the original with square (1:1) pixels: Bernard is squished

MbQgvFn.jpg

Here's a framebuffer of the original with corrected (1:1.2) pixels: Bernard now looks correct

91AqVyJ.jpg

Here's a framebuffer of Day of the Tentacle Remastered at 960x720 in which we correct the pixel aspect to 1:1.2:

7MgGk2X.jpg

Most people playing the game on DosBox (or possibly other emulators) are playing it with the incorrect pixel aspect ratio settings. By default, DosBox is set up to render to square (1:1) pixels, which is not what you would normally see if you were to pull out your old 386 + CRT monitor.

It's not just the backgrounds, it's the same thing with the models, unfortunately. Gives the impression of being slightly out of focus, and my eyes hate it :P

The PC game was authored for CGA (Color Graphics Adapter) which supported the resolution of 320x200 pixels. And when you read "320x200", that is the Storage Aspect Ratio; The internal [width]x[height] dimensions of square pixels.

Argh! Not CGA! That had 4 colors! You mean VGA or MCGA.

BTW, since it's impossible to obtain the original legally anymore now that you guys are distributing the remaster, would it be possible to distribute your version with a copy of the original, to use legally in ScummVM and such?

Seemingly I am not the only one who thinks that the screenshots look a little too "clean" and "soft" and that the game could benefit from adding some amount of detail, like textures and/or color gradients.

That said, it looks rather good already and I have yet to see it in motion for further judgement, but I hope that the art is not quite final yet.

I'm really excited to hear the original uncompressed voice recordings as well.

Dangit! Why can't anyone upload a video already!?

BTW, since it's impossible to obtain the original legally anymore now that you guys are distributing the remaster, would it be possible to distribute your version with a copy of the original, to use legally in ScummVM and such?

Why? You already can freely switch between graphics, so having ScummVM version along with it would make little sense.

Why? You already can freely switch between graphics, so having ScummVM version along with it would make little sense.

Exactly. You can play the game exactly how it played, looked and sounded in 1993, so why would you want to play it with ScummVM?

Maybe they want to play the original on platforms the remaster won't be coming to, like Android or Nintendo DS.

Did you guys happen to find all of the original sound effects? I know you can find most of them in a commercial library you can still buy.

Did you guys happen to find all of the original sound effects? I know you can find most of them in a commercial library you can still buy.

Yup, thanks. We found that library where they came from.

You can play the game exactly how it played, looked and sounded in 1993, so why would you want to play it with ScummVM?

To be fair, I would like to think of the remastered version as a preservation of the game... and it would be cool if this would include having the original files preserved. This would not only allow the game to be played on all platforms supported by ScummVM, but also on an actual DOS machine, in case you're a purist.

With the MI-SEs you were able to at least extract the original DOS data files to run them with ScummVM.

Sign in to follow this