Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Spaff

Day of the Tentacle Remastered at Indiecade!

Do remastered movies usually include the original version? I'm thinking the original could be sold on GOG if not already.

Do remastered movies usually include the original version? I'm thinking the original could be sold on GOG if not already.

But that's the problem -- it's not sold on GOG precisely because Double Fine want to keep sales for the Remastered version (which I can definitely understand -- how big is the audience for a 20 year old adventure game, after all?).

Years from now, this remaster will most likely be unsupported, just as MI1 and MI2 SE became unsupported, and just as a variety of Double Fine games are no longer supported. But the original files have been dissected, and they can be run via an open source project (ScummVM) on every platform available. They will remain alive for much longer than this remaster for this very reason.

The same applies to Grim Fandango Deluxe -- this version will be unsupported at some point, but the original can always be played on Residual (an offshoot of ScummVM). Except the original is not sold anywhere because the Deluxe version came out.

Some do (I'm looking at you, Blade Runner). And since GOG isn't selling DOTT (and only the SEs of MI) I'm pretty sure they are only holding out for DOTT Remastered.

Broken Sword 1 on GOG includes the non Director's Cut version of the game as a bonus... That's at least something.

Edit: Beaten to the punch by Bluddy...

But yeah, to make DOTT-Remastered the version to last for eternity, including the original files would be perfect.

But that's the problem -- it's not sold on GOG precisely because Double Fine want to keep sales for the Remastered version (which I can definitely understand -- how big is the audience for a 20 year old adventure game, after all?).

Years from now, this remaster will most likely be unsupported, just as MI1 and MI2 SE became unsupported, and just as a variety of Double Fine games are no longer supported. But the original files have been dissected, and they can be run via an open source project (ScummVM) on every platform available. They will remain alive for much longer than this remaster for this very reason.

The same applies to Grim Fandango Deluxe -- this version will be unsupported at some point, but the original can always be played on Residual (an offshoot of ScummVM). Except the original is not sold anywhere because the Deluxe version came out.

What Double Fine games are no longer supported?

Disney owns the DOTT IP and has granted us access to make a remastered version. We have nothing to do with it not being available on GOG. Grim Fandango Remastered is available on GOG right now and is totally DRM free, so you can play is without fear that it will ever become unavailable.

What Double Fine games are no longer supported? Disney owns the DOTT IP and has granted us access to make a remastered version. We have nothing to do with it not being available on GOG. Grim Fandango Remastered is available on GOG right now and is totally DRM free, so you can play is without fear that it will ever become unavailable.

I don't like doing this, but a quick steam search turned up [this](http://steamcommunity.com/app/225260/discussions/0/535152511350364539/), [this](http://steamcommunity.com/app/225260/discussions/0/615086038672410687/), and [this](http://steamcommunity.com/app/246070/discussions/0/523890681403391332/) and Iron Brigade is only available for windows, for example.

Saying that having a DRM-free version is enough is unfortunately naive. New OSs arrive every year nowadays, and games need to be maintained to work on them as well as on new hardware. Nobody can maintain a closed-source program but the devs, whereas an open-source program like ScummVM is open for everyone to adapt to new hardware and software. After a certain point, maintaining old games just isn't financially viable for developers.

I understand that Disney owns the DOTT IP, but Sam and Max Hit the Road and Indy and the Fate of Atlantis, both games from the same generation as DOTT, are sold on GOG, while DOTT is missing, and it doesn't seem like a coincidence. If it's not up to you to include the original, that's completely fine, but I want you to understand where I'm coming from. The fact that the IP doesn't belong to Double Fine makes my case even stronger, since after your contract with Disney is over, any maintenance you put into the game is money lost.

Wow, I did not know that about the pixels. So when I've been playing it on SCUMMVM I've been seeing a squashed version of how the original was intended to look, because the artists were expecting monitors to stretch it out to the correct ratio? I'm surprised SCUMMVM haven't compensated for that. But if I play with the original art on DOTT Remastered, it'll be adjusted correctly?

I wonder if there are any other Lucasarts adventures I've been playing all squashed without noticing the difference from when I originally played them back in the 90s...

Regarding the unfinished backgrounds - I don't know if this was made clear at Indiecade or in press releases, but it doesn't seem to have been mentioned in any articles about the new shots that they are first pass. I've seen a fair few reader comments highlighting those unfinished washroom notices as proof that the new graphics were done by auto-filter or will have sections accidentally not painted over (as with the first MI Special Edition). Quoting Spaff's "all art done from scratch" comment or suggesting that they were waiting for devs to confirm the text didn't seem to convince some of them, so perhaps this is something that could be highlighted in a DF tweet or something?

What Double Fine games are no longer supported?

Disney owns the DOTT IP and has granted us access to make a remastered version. We have nothing to do with it not being available on GOG. Grim Fandango Remastered is available on GOG right now and is totally DRM free, so you can play is without fear that it will ever become unavailable.

I think the point in the conversation was not about DRM or where you buy the game, but incompatibility with modern hardware and operating systems. I have a game on Steam that was released in September 2013 and I can no longer run it because I got a new computer 6 months ago, nor do any compatibility mode options work. (Don't worry, it's not a Double Fine game, I'm just using it as an example of how quickly software can become outdated!)

Personally, I don't blame the game developers at all. We can't expect you guys to be psychic or to spend all your time fixing bugs on games that are happening because new hardware/OS were released after said game.

While I understand that open source projects like ScummVM are helpful for the time being, the real issue is that so-called compatibility modes are pretty unreliable. Someday I'd like a computer that actually runs all my software properly, but I'm not counting on it!

Wow, I did not know that about the pixels. So when I've been playing it on SCUMMVM I've been seeing a squashed version of how the original was intended to look, because the artists were expecting monitors to stretch it out to the correct ratio? I'm surprised SCUMMVM haven't compensated for that. But if I play with the original art on DOTT Remastered, it'll be adjusted correctly?

I wonder if there are any other Lucasarts adventures I've been playing all squashed without noticing the difference from when I originally played them back in the 90s...

That "stretched pixel" screenshot made me feel oddly nostalgic. There is a way to correct it in ScummVM (in the "graphics" tab, select "aspect ratio correction") but by default it is unselected and I tend to play all those games with squished graphics too.

You always need to select "Aspect ratio correction" so that the game appears 4:3 as intended! :)

Should be default in ScummVM really.

Yes, the original files are required to preserve the game and make it easily available on all (current and future) platforms. So please make it happen, otherwise the internet will (including the remastered files, like MI SE voice extractors for SCUMMVM etc) but you will lose karma in the process.

You always need to select “Aspect ratio correction” so that the game appears 4:3 as intended! :)

Yeah, I guess I've been playing it in 4:2.5 rather than 4:3 so I didn't notice anything was off. I probably assumed the ARC was for people who wanted it stretched out to 16:9 or something. This is quite upsetting, I've been replaying all these old games in a squashed format for years. It's a bit of a minefield as well - does my MI Bounty Pack that I play without ScummVM automatically correct them or not? Does Full Throttle need ARC? Waaah!

Will the verb bar and inventory be low-res too when I switch to the classic graphics?

Good question. I think the below implies that you can have that (and I'd be surprised if you can't), but it would nice to get confirmation...

First of all, we are designing it so you can customise your play through to suit your desires - you can play with a new high res verb bar, or you can play with the new verb 'coin' and the classic art. You can flip between old and classic art modes on the fly, just like Grim, etc.

Customisation also extends to music, there are two options - a new version with re-voiced instruments for a more modern sound, and a classic sound which we are trying our hardest to make sound like a soundblaster :)

The audio is taken from the original voice recordings, so is uncompressed - we're not including the old voice though, that's pretty much the only thing you can't customise.

You always need to select “Aspect ratio correction” so that the game appears 4:3 as intended! :)

Yeah, I guess I've been playing it in 4:2.5 rather than 4:3 so I didn't notice anything was off. I probably assumed the ARC was for people who wanted it stretched out to 16:9 or something. This is quite upsetting, I've been replaying all these old games in a squashed format for years. It's a bit of a minefield as well - does my MI Bounty Pack that I play without ScummVM automatically correct them or not? Does Full Throttle need ARC? Waaah!

Everything up to Full Throttle needs ARC -- can't remember if that needs it, too. Basically anything that runs at 320x200 needs it. If you just double it you get 640x400, and monitors were 640x480.

I wonder if they're going to add additional frames of animation like MI2:SE did... I hope they do. These old games tend to look very jerky when uprezzed.

I am of the impression that DOTT will not need this as much, possibly not at all. Perhaps tidying up the walk animations would be called for, but I think the situational one-off animations would hold up pretty well even if uprezzed. Wouldn't be surprised if they implement some kind of lip-synch, since there was none in the original. DOTT's walk cycles were 6 frames like MI's I believe, but I think they will hold up better because they're in a much more exaggerated style, very much more characterful. But I certainly wouldn't be against additional frames.

Someone on the Idle Thumbs forums who had played it at Indiecade said that the animation frame numbers were not increased.

Shy Guy - to my eye, the lines do get thicker in places on those cut-scene 'models', so I'd say the Remastered in-game models match quite well in that sense, which I was happy to see. I was actually hoping for thicker lines and more shading so it just goes to show how everyone has their own interpretation!

Shy Guy - to my eye, the lines do get thicker in places on those cut-scene 'models',...

Maybe a bit but not nearly as much as the lines on Bernard's ears on the new ones for example.

I am of the impression that DOTT will not need this as much, possibly not at all. Perhaps tidying up the walk animations would be called for, but I think the situational one-off animations would hold up pretty well even if uprezzed. Wouldn't be surprised if they implement some kind of lip-synch, since there was none in the original. DOTT's walk cycles were 6 frames like MI's I believe, but I think they will hold up better because they're in a much more exaggerated style, very much more characterful. But I certainly wouldn't be against additional frames.

If it's true that they didn't add any frames, I think you'll really notice it in a bad way. Even in MI1/2SE they had to add frames to the walk animation so they'll seem ok, and yet, every other animation in the game looked stiff, cheap, and odd. It's weird, but pixel graphics tolerate much lower fps animations than high-res graphics. If the animations haven't been enhanced, I fear that we'll all be very disappointed when we see the results. I really really hope they added frames. If they didn't, my personal preference would be the low-res graphics with the new sound recordings.

EDIT: BTW, the reason why it's much easier to upscale the graphics than to add animation frames, is that you can reuse the Scumm interpreter, and just feed it high res graphics with the same original game code, but adding animation frames means redoing all the game code as well. This is why MI1/2SE didn't have more animation frames (except the walk animation, which is just a default loop), and why it's most likely that they didn't do it here either, unfortunately.

Did you guys happen to find all of the original sound effects? I know you can find most of them in a commercial library you can still buy.

Yeah we found them all :)

Did you guys happen to find all of the original sound effects? I know you can find most of them in a commercial library you can still buy.

As classic as they are, they must be pretty old by now. Do they still have a decent quality?

Will the verb bar and inventory be low-res too when I switch to the classic graphics?

Yes :)

If it's true that they didn't add any frames, I think you'll really notice it in a bad way. Even in MI1/2SE they had to add frames to the walk animation so they'll seem ok, and yet, every other animation in the game looked stiff, cheap, and odd. It's weird, but pixel graphics tolerate much lower fps animations than high-res graphics. If the animations haven't been enhanced, I fear that we'll all be very disappointed when we see the results. I really really hope they added frames. If they didn't, my personal preference would be the low-res graphics with the new sound recordings.

EDIT: BTW, the reason why it's much easier to upscale the graphics than to add animation frames, is that you can reuse the Scumm interpreter, and just feed it high res graphics with the same original game code, but adding animation frames means redoing all the game code as well. This is why MI1/2SE didn't have more animation frames (except the walk animation, which is just a default loop), and why it's most likely that they didn't do it here either, unfortunately.

No fames have been added. There was an attempt made to add frames but it looked dreadful.

Be careful what you wish for! :)

As classic as they are, they must be pretty old by now. Do they still have a decent quality?

I've asked Paul to come and talk briefly about that process when he has a chance :)

Hey guys! I've been handling all the audio/music content creation for Day of the Tentacle Remastered and it's been a really challenging and rewarding journey!

We didn't actually recover uncompressed versions of the SFX (just the voice recordings were recovered) but as Monkey Mania says, most of them are in commercial libraries that we already owned so we were able to get uncompressed versions of those matched to the source versions. There were a handful of SFX that were custom recorded that needed be redone, and a handful of SFX who's source versions in the SFX libraries were already too compressed. In the case of SFX that had no high quality version, I redesigned them as best as I could to match the original comedic timbre. Hope this answers your question!

Hey guys! I've been handling all the audio/music content creation for Day of the Tentacle Remastered and it's been a really challenging and rewarding journey!

We didn't actually recover uncompressed versions of the SFX (just the voice recordings were recovered) but as Monkey Mania says, most of them are in commercial libraries that we already owned so we were able to get uncompressed versions of those matched to the source versions. There were a handful of SFX that were custom recorded that needed be redone, and a handful of SFX who's source versions in the SFX libraries were already too compressed. In the case of SFX that had no high quality version, I redesigned them as best as I could to match the original comedic timbre. Hope this answers your question!

Custom recorded?

Like what for example?

I can't think of any sounds in DotT that don't sound like classic cartoon sound effects.

Custom recorded?

Like what for example?

I can't think of any sounds in DotT that don't sound like classic cartoon sound effects.

These were edge cases but one that I distinctly recall is a vocal gibberish that Peter McConnell recorded at his desk. I'm actually still pushing to see if Peter wants to redo it himself :)

Custom recorded?

Like what for example?

These were edge cases but one that I distinctly recall is a vocal gibberish that Peter McConnell recorded at his desk. I'm actually still pushing to see if Peter wants to redo it himself :)

Vocal gibberish.... vocal gibberish? Are we still talking about the same game? xD I can't remember anything like that in the game...

Oh, by the way! If you're in charge of the sound, can you make sure that a bell ringing sound gets added when the fire alarm in the past goes off? For some reason there was no sound there in the original game.

Custom recorded?

Like what for example?

Vocal gibberish.... vocal gibberish? Are we still talking about the same game? xD I can't remember anything like that in the game...

Oh, by the way! If you're in charge of the sound, can you make sure that a bell ringing sound gets added when the fire alarm in the past goes off? For some reason there was no sound there in the original game.

And how about the bird tweeting in the opening scene? It plays some midi note, which is very unsatisfying.

Sign in to follow this