Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Spaff

Day of the Tentacle Remastered at Indiecade!

Awesome! Thanks for the information, Tucker. :) Here's hoping you find them (and some other cool stuff) in your LucasArts archive raid!

That transition in the game (where the bird chokes) always felt very off to me -- I wonder if this explains why. I'd never seen that image before. Where is it from?

That transition in the game (where the bird chokes) always felt very off to me -- I wonder if this explains why. I'd never seen that image before. Where is it from?

I got it from here: http://www.unseen64.net/2008/10/02/day-of-the-tentacle-pc-beta/

Apparently that bird also had an animation where it flies in place and grins at the camera:

bigdottvid3.jpg

And you originally were able to pick up the tentacle chart AND the human chart. Would've been funny to make a human-shaped american flag. xD

dotremoveditems.jpg

There are also graphics for the diamond which was unused since you can't carry it around and instead give it to Fred immediately and a noose which was probably for when you tie it around dead cousin Ted's neck to lift him into the attic.

Hehe, use scalpel with person in tutu. >:D

Thanks for the link, ShyGuy! I think I've seen a screenshot somewhere of the diamond in Bernard's inventory, but I don't remember the noose. You're probably right about where it was used. I wonder where you would have found the item in the first place though? (Maybe in Dwayne's room...? Yikes.)

Oh wow, thanks for the clarification clarification, Tucker! Like Spaff says, that's really exciting to know - I hope some of the original stuff is found.

I assume the art of their living room here is just concept art and not the piece that was scanned in?

http://mixnmojo.com/galleries/thumb/thumb20040606182810.jpg

That does look like its one of the pieces that got scanned in actually, how interesting!

I should have known really, Peter to this day works in pen and pencils :)

Sadly no one was able to find these for us for the start of the project, so there's a chance no one knows where they are.... =/

I wonder where you would have found the item in the first place though? (Maybe in Dwayne's room...? Yikes.)

Woah, that's dark... o_o'

Then again, so was the gun...

I was thinking you would just make the noose yourself out of the rope and then have it in your inventory while you are down there. Kinda like how dead cousin Ted turns into an item for a second when you swap him out for Fred, you just couldn't put him in your inventory.

But instead they made it so Bernard just does it himself.

From the Adventurer that came with DOTT (issue 6) Peter Chan on how the art was made:

"we don't want the art to look like it is scanned art, so this time around we used markers only to the point where we had a good idea concerning the color scheme, and then we scanned it into the computer, and then worked on finalizing the picture. We touch it up and smooth it out a bit, because you don't want people to now whether you've drawn the scenery or scanned it -- the technique should be completely invisible. We want people to immediately see the character, the scenery, and automatically say "Hey, that's a cartoon!"

edit: hah great minds, etc!

Howdy!

Some quick clarification: we talked with Peter Chan for a bit while doing this project and got some background on how he arrived at the look for the original. The backgrounds were done traditionally before being scanned and cleaned up for the game (not unlike MI2).

Additionally, we worked closely with Peter on getting the look right for the remaster and while there certainly were numerous different ways we could have reinterpreted the artwork, we decided to try and stick close to the geometric shapes and paper cut-out look of the original designs that were inspired by Maurice Noble.

But would you consider using a texture over the background images to make them appear like being painted on actual paper?

I think the only time where a higher framerate for the animations would maybe be a good addition is for the slowed down version of the recording of Dr. Fred opening the safe. Know what I mean?

The trouble with any sort of uprezzing is that pixellated graphics automatically look grittier without trying, so if you simply attempt to up-res them then the risk is that you end up with a naively smoothed out version of the originals.

A little trick to fake a bit more detail is by just adding some texture to the image (open the image in a new tab to see it at full size):

6Qa5raT.jpg

While I am generally happy with the HD visuals, I can't really deny that some of the backgrounds look a little… unfocused and clean. And something as simple as a grain filter such as Laserschwerts' above really works wonders on the detail.

Keep up the great work, guys, great to see that you guys are keeping an eye on the forums for our feedback. I think a grain filter such as above on the top of the backgrounds would be definitely worth adding.

Can't wait to see how the music is handled. Is it being re-recorded digitally?

I don't like doing this, but a quick steam search turned up [this](http://steamcommunity.com/app/225260/discussions/0/535152511350364539/), [this](http://steamcommunity.com/app/225260/discussions/0/615086038672410687/), and [this](http://steamcommunity.com/app/246070/discussions/0/523890681403391332/) and Iron Brigade is only available for windows, for example.

Saying that having a DRM-free version is enough is unfortunately naive. New OSs arrive every year nowadays, and games need to be maintained to work on them as well as on new hardware. Nobody can maintain a closed-source program but the devs, whereas an open-source program like ScummVM is open for everyone to adapt to new hardware and software. After a certain point, maintaining old games just isn't financially viable for developers.

I understand that Disney owns the DOTT IP, but Sam and Max Hit the Road and Indy and the Fate of Atlantis, both games from the same generation as DOTT, are sold on GOG, while DOTT is missing, and it doesn't seem like a coincidence. If it's not up to you to include the original, that's completely fine, but I want you to understand where I'm coming from. The fact that the IP doesn't belong to Double Fine makes my case even stronger, since after your contract with Disney is over, any maintenance you put into the game is money lost.

Hi! I figured I would jump in here and talk about the forum threads that you have linked too!

First Thread:

This thread has to do with Brutal Legend and the known bug list. You should have seen the original list! We fixed a ton of stuff in that game to make sure that everyone could play the game. The remaining bugs in that list are much less severe and do not affect a very large group of users. So in that thread, yes we did say that we are no longer actively working on the game. But we definitely did not abandon it and we have continued to ensure that it works with the new OS versions.

Second thread:

This one has a report of the game not working under windows 8. This made me pretty nervous so we put together a windows 8 machine last night and I spent a good part of today testing the game on it. I was able to get pretty far without any issues. I know that we did test Brutal on windows 8 before it launched, but I wanted to be sure before responding here. When we tested it we also went through and made sure our other games worked on it as well. Good news, they all work! We have also been testing on windows 10, which works as well. We get some issues into our support email box as well concerning issues on different OS versions, but they are almost always fixed with drivers or steam file validation. But again we are definitely not abandoning our games! Though I should have responded to that forum thread, its pretty hard to ensure that we hit all of our forums, we try and get to everything but sometimes things slip through.

Third Thread:

Hack n' Slash was not abandoned but we did finish work on the game and released it as a 1.0. We even added steam workshop support so that people could add mods to it is as well. We continue to provide support for the game and intend to make sure that the game is working for users. Like I said earlier, some threads have fallen through some cracks, its hard to hit all of them, but we are here to help and provide support.

Also you mentioned Iron Brigade and how it is only available for windows, I don't know exactly how detailed I can be about that. But it is no minor task to bring that game onto Mac/Linux. But we do still support that game and recently removed Games for Windows Live and even after releasing with steamworks networking support we spend a good deal of time tracking down network stability issues in the game to ensure that players were able to enjoy it.

So all that being said, we want people to enjoy the games that we create and ensuring that our games work on new OS versions is important to us as well. Before every big OS release we make sure that we test our games and that they are functioning properly. And if there are major issues we always find ways to address them.

Hah, I now I can smuggly say, I knew at least some of the background art was traditionally drawn. I do hope you'll manage to find at least some of it for the special features.

Higher framerate is ALWAYS a good addition. The problem is manpower and money.

So, seeing as Spaff said:

There was an attempt made to add frames but it looked dreadful.

you think the team was objectively wrong in this decision?

Higher framerate is ALWAYS a good addition. The problem is manpower and money.

So, seeing as Spaff said:

There was an attempt made to add frames but it looked dreadful.

you think the team was objectively wrong in this decision?

It depends on how skilled the artists are. I doubt Double Fine has veteran traditional animators on hand. So leaving the animation alone was a good call.

the game is still in alpha, and all the backgrounds are still being worked on, so this is the kind of detail that will get addressed in the next art pass. We want Tim /Peter / Larry to look at signs like this to decide what they should say :)

I will pass on comments regarding Bernard's face to the team, but we did work with Larry and Peter to get the characters looking how they wanted them, and with several billion frames of animation already done i can't see much changing!

While very close to the final version, the backgrounds are still being worked on by the team. So, things like that note in the laundry room will get additional detail. Overall our intent with all of this art has been to be as true to the original artistic intent as possible. We sat down with both Peter and Larry to go over everything, they provided feedback on every screen and Larry created detailed drawovers for all the main characters. We followed their art direction exactly to make sure it is exactly how they would have done the are in 1993 if they had modern tools. Our goal for this version was to be accurate as possible to the original with guidance from the original art team. Every background and frame of animation was painstakingly redrawn from scratch. We didn't use any auto-vectorization tools or shortcuts to arrive at the final art. I am sure everyone will have their own interpretation for how to transform a handful of pixels into a full resolution piece of art, but the art we have created was done with guidance from the original artists by a team of artists who have a lot of love and respect for the original art.

Ugh. I somehow missed these replies! Thanks Matt and Spaff, that all sounds good.

I somehow missed this, too!

I just wanted to confirm some things, now that we can!

First of all, we are designing it so you can customise your play through to suit your desires - you can play with a new high res verb bar, or you can play with the new verb 'coin' and the classic art. You can flip between old and classic art modes on the fly, just like Grim, etc.

Customisation also extends to music, there are two options - a new version with re-voiced instruments for a more modern sound, and a classic sound which we are trying our hardest to make sound like a soundblaster :)

Are you really aiming for a Soundblaster? I imagine a Roland CM-32L/LAPC-I was closer to what the original aim was...? ;)

I somehow missed this, too!
I just wanted to confirm some things, now that we can!

First of all, we are designing it so you can customise your play through to suit your desires - you can play with a new high res verb bar, or you can play with the new verb 'coin' and the classic art. You can flip between old and classic art modes on the fly, just like Grim, etc.

Customisation also extends to music, there are two options - a new version with re-voiced instruments for a more modern sound, and a classic sound which we are trying our hardest to make sound like a soundblaster :)

Are you really aiming for a Soundblaster? I imagine a Roland CM-32L/LAPC-I was closer to what the original aim was...? ;)

I don't think that's the point, and something I think that is very often missed is that while it may have all been composed on at the time top of the line Roland synths, almost NOBODY actually heard it like that. Almost everyone had an FM soundcard like the SB16 (if they even had a proper soundcard at all. My best friend remembers playing this game in silence). And so if the idea is to give them the version as they played it originally, and the remastered version then surely the original should reflect the most common sound hardware of the ti

It sounds like the new remastered music might use a lot of the same midi data and synth or sampled instruments, so I imagine what they're going for is the version they would have made if the performances were the same but they had access to modern samplers and synths.

I don't think that's the point, and something I think that is very often missed is that while it may have all been composed on at the time top of the line Roland synths, almost NOBODY actually heard it like that. Almost everyone had an FM soundcard like the SB16 (if they even had a proper soundcard at all. My best friend remembers playing this game in silence). And so if the idea is to give them the version as they played it originally, and the remastered version then surely the original should reflect the most common sound hardware of the ti

I'm pretty sure that most people would rather have the (better sounding) Roland music because that's what people with a Sound Blaster back then would have preferred to have, given the chance.

Can't imagine why anybody would root for a downscaled version of it.

I'm pretty sure that most people would rather have the (better sounding) Roland music because that's what people with a Sound Blaster back then would have preferred to have, given the chance.

Can't imagine why anybody would root for a downscaled version of it.

Because of the reason I explained. It doesn't matter what sounds better, when going into retro mode, people want to play the game as they remember. The Roland versions mean nothing to anyone but the most dedicated fans, and they're not actually entirely straightforward to emulate, so they went with the sensible decision of using the hardware most people had for retro mode.

If people want a better sounding version, they can use the remastered music.

This is the sound that I am used to. :V

Yeah same here.

And this is how you scale it up and make it High Quality IMO. nothing more is needed.

people want to play the game as they remember.

And people who had Roland MIDI units...? Or Adlib cards? Sound Master II cards?

I had a Soundblaster card, but I'd rather have the better sounding version. Who are these Soundblaster users who want that version? Have you taken a poll, or is it just your best guess at what people will want?

When Final Fantasy VII was added to Steam, SquareEnix included the originally PC music. People complained so much they actually released a patch to change the music to the superior PlayStation version -- and there's no way of switching it back. People were happy.

The reason they're going for the Soundblaster version is the same reason they turned off anti-aliasing for the "Original" version in Grim Fandango Remastered -- they want the difference to be very obvious. That's all. And I don't begrudge them that.

people want to play the game as they remember.

And people who had Roland MIDI units...?

As I said, are in a very very tiny minority, so it would be silly to spend resources trying to re-capture that when as we know well this isn't a straightforward process. Much better to aim for the sound that the large majority of people remember, if you're sticking in a retro mode. They can't do everything.

I love how the Roland stuff sounds, having explored that stuff later on, but it wasn't how I enjoyed it at the time I had an SB16 and later an AWE32 (in fact, later I used Yamaha XG cards when playing LucasArts games). But while it is -interesting- and sounds good to listen to it on the hardware on which it was composed, I totally agree with their decision to go for the sound most people remember.

As I said, are in a very very tiny minority, so it would be silly to spend resources trying to re-capture that when as we know well this isn't a straightforward process. Much better to aim for the sound that the large majority of people remember, if you're sticking in a retro mode. They can't do everything.

I agree with this, it's just the idea that they're doing this because it's what people want that I'm not convinced of. As I said, I appreciate the realities.

I agree with this, it's just the idea that they're doing this because it's what people want that I'm not convinced of. As I said, I appreciate the realities.

Perhaps I was unclear, hmm. When I said that it's what people want I didn't mean that it's literally what people ask for. If you asked people what they want, only the interested would respond. Which means the biggest fans, people who really care about the versions of sound that you could get, which means you'd probably get a disproportionate amount of people calling for Roland sounds.

However, I think it's the SB16 sounding versions which I think will ultimately please more people and be nostalgic for them. And I really do think that they've thought about this when making the decision, I doubt that with the care they've shown in the remaster so far, they just flippantly make a decision on how to make the music sound. But something else that might have to do with it is that it's just easier to emulate a soundblaster than a Roland device. That might have removed any ambivalence they had about it, sure.

Yeah, many people had an Adlib and aren't encouraging DF to dumb down the music for everybody so that it sounds like that.

Roland music is the superior retro/original version and that's what people would choose when comparing them, KestrelPi's personal wishes aside.

That's what I'd like to hear in the remake, even if I used to play it with a Sound Blaster (I wish I would have had access to the Roland stuff back then!).

Sign in to follow this