Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Spaff

Day of the Tentacle Remastered at Indiecade!

Well, I played it on Soundblaster, and I personally would prefer to have that version included over the Roland version (although they're only approximating anyway, so this all may be moot, right?). Not only is it more nostalgic for me, having listened to both on YouTube I prefer SB, it feels punchier (though this might be nostalgia bias of course). Also, I think I agree with what TP suggests is DF's motivation for choosing SB - I'd like the difference to be very obvious!

Obviously the ideal solution would be to have both available, but like Kestrel says, they can't do everything.

Also, I don't know what the current status of this is, but it's possible that there could be more complicated licensing issues involved with trying to re-create the Roland sound.

I think TP's thought is good as well. It sounds like they didn't have the budget to go all-out on the soundtrack this time, so they are instead implementing a 're-instrumented' version of the originals which basically I thiiink is code for they're making the music sound as close to the original -intent- (if not the sound) as possible without being able to do a lot of live recording.

So I think that what we'll end up with is that the remastered soundtrack will sound like MT32++++, and I think it's true that having a retro version that emphasised the difference here was probably on their agenda. But I also think it's the right decision.

As for Adlib/SB16 weeeell, the adlib sound wasn't that far off the SB16. They were both using FM synthesis in a similar way. I just listened to the two playing the Monkey Island theme and while they do sound a little different (the SB16 sounds seem a little more rounded and 'realistic', while the Adlib sounds are a bit clearer to my ears) they're most definitely in the same ballpark. By the time DOTT came out the Adlib cards were 6 years old, and the SB16 had been around for the year and at least in the UK enjoyed huge popularity, though I don't know about other places.

Anecdocal, I know, but my memory is that until the mid 90s basically people I knew either had an SB16, no soundcard at all, or something fancier (by 1995 I was in the something fancier camp, but I definitely had an SB16 for a while. I remember being disappointed in how Monkey Island sounded compared to the Amiga)

(Also, totally not on board with the idea that the music is being 'dumbed down' by the decision to go with one particular soundset over another. I love good midi sounds, I went out of my way to get them in the 1990s, but please.)

MT32? If they aren't going live, modern sampled instruments are the next best thing. They almost sound like the real thing. It doesn't make sense to have "Retro" and "Slightly less retro."

MT32? If they aren't going live, modern sampled instruments are the next best thing. They almost sound like the real thing. It doesn't make sense to have "Retro" and "Slightly less retro."

Certainly this. If they're not doing real orchestra, which is a deeply sad thing already, getting as close as humanly possible would be the priority. :|

Certainly this. If they're not doing real orchestra, which is a deeply sad thing already, getting as close as humanly possible would be the priority. :|

Weeeeeeeell

Yes

And maybe no.

One of the reasons that MT32 versions still do sound good when you listen to them is that they were, after all, the sounds they were written on. Anyone who has worked with midi knows that you can have the best instruments in the world and sometimes they just really... don't work well with the midi information. There's stuff you can do to mitigate this (that's why they always credit whoever made the GM versions, I guess), but if the aim is to keep it midi, and upscale the instruments, just going for realism at all costs might not be the wisest approach. I would often play LucasArts games through my fancy soundcard with some of the most realistic instruments at the time and it sounded sort of ... not great. Sometimes the easiest way to fix it, when I replace sounds in music I'm working on is to just re-record the whole thing again with the new improved instruments, and I'd be surprised if that is in scope. But I could be wrong.

I would favour an approach where they go for a nice, full sound that really makes the best possible use of the available midi data. But isn't necessarily simplistically going for realism. Sort of an idealised version of the MT32 soundtrack that takes advantage of modern sampling but is still artificial enough to work with the faster attacks and decays that you tend to get from those old sounds. It might sound less real, but I bet it'd sound better.

I think there she be no sound and no music. And no animation. Best game ever!

Smiles

An FMV version with Tim Schafer as Hoagie and Dave Grossman as Bernard. Not sure who would take the role of Laverne though, but I'm sure they'd figure something out. Maybe they could just split all the roles between them.

Maybe they could just split all the roles between them.

I can actually imagine them doing that. xD

Even if they don't end up doing it (though why wouldn't they?), it could still be a neat thing to do to drum up more interest before release. Just a 30 second trailer or something.

Sign in to follow this