Sign in to follow this  
Smiles

Costume Quest 2 - Post Mortem Article via Gamasutra by Gabe Cinquepalmi

Interesting timing! I just started replaying this today!

We didn't have anything representing what CQ2 might look like. We did have that old CQ2 pitch from a few years earlier, but after exhuming and reviewing it, it was no longer viable. It was intended for a much bigger budget with a longer schedule (voice, deep skill trees, etc.) We would need a new design, mostly from scratch, and it needed to be something we could legitimately pull off in 10 months.

That sounds interesting. They later mention looking at ideas for environments that were considered but never used in CQ1, and also CQ2, and that the swamp-level came from that. I wonder if that was supposed to be used in 1 or in the alternate 2.

I still hope this series gets another chance - which might be difficult after such a troubled production for the second one. Really love the game though, and I hope the Costume Quest cartoon will renew interest in it with the general public. If there's one thing this game proved, it's that Double Fine worlds and characters are fleshed out so well that sequels just feel natural. I think this goes for every DF-'world' - all of them have more possible stories in them.

I think hearing voices come out of Costume Quest-kids might freak me out though. Oh, wait, that's coming in the cartoon! Exciting! Maybe some of the kids doing voices there can show up in the hypothetical CQ3 as well :).

I still hope this series gets another chance - which might be difficult after such a troubled production for the second one.

I would love to see more Costume Quest (either CQ2 DLC or CQ3... or both). In fact, if Double Fine created a project to fund it on Kickstarter I would certainly pledge.

Really love the game though, and I hope the Costume Quest cartoon will renew interest in it with the general public.

I heard about the cartoon and I was even more interested when I heard the cartoon was connected to Zac Gorman (I loved the animated miniseries, "Over the Garden Wall").