Sign in to follow this  
Spaff

We're making Psychonauts 2! But we need your help to do it!

There was quite a bit of negativity in the comments, so I made one of my own that, not to blow my own trumpet, seems pretty popular (My Discus account has a Trioptimum logo - you'll know it when you see it). I THINK it's mostly accurate, but if there's any glaring fallacies, could you let me know? Thanks.

Actually, Double Fine used Early Access three times: Spacebase DF9, Hack 'n' Slash (4 months) and MASSIVE CHALICE (6 months).

Great post, anyway. :-)

There was quite a bit of negativity in the comments, so I made one of my own that, not to blow my own trumpet, seems pretty popular (My Discus account has a Trioptimum logo - you'll know it when you see it). I THINK it's mostly accurate, but if there's any glaring fallacies, could you let me know? Thanks.

Actually, Double Fine used Early Access three times: Spacebase DF9, Hack 'n' Slash (4 months) and MASSIVE CHALICE (6 months).

Great post, anyway. :-)

The distinction is funding model. Early Access was not used as the entire funding model for MC. It was a kickstarter project. They added to early access before full release, but that was an ordinary use of EA. (Read: Game's development was not dependent on EA money, but EA allowed eager players to try out early builds and give feedback.)

SBDF9 attempted to use EA as the entire funding model, which was an experiment that did not work, and caused Valve to later clarify that EA should not be used in that way. (Read: Game's development was dependent on EA money.)

Every time I refresh the Fig to see that the total's gone down it breaks my heart a bit.

That has happened? Can't have lasted long because the total is climbing up at a good pace still.

The distinction is funding model. Early Access was not used as the entire funding model for MC. It was a kickstarter project. They added to early access before full release, but that was an ordinary use of EA. (Read: Game's development was not dependent on EA money, but EA allowed eager players to try out early builds and give feedback.)

SBDF9 attempted to use EA as the entire funding model, which was an experiment that did not work, and caused Valve to later clarify that EA should not be used in that way. (Read: Game's development was dependent on EA money.

One correction: It wasn't just SB that led to the change in Valve's recommendations, there were several other games that suffered similar or worse fates, with equally bad backlash from fans. It was a lesson for everyone, including Valve.

SBDF9 attempted to use EA as the entire funding model, which was an experiment that did not work, and caused Valve to later clarify that EA should not be used in that way. (Read: Game's development was dependent on EA money.

One correction: It wasn't just SB that led to the change in Valve's recommendations, there were several other games that suffered similar or worse fates, with equally bad backlash from fans. It was a lesson for everyone, including Valve.

Hear, hear

SO So sweet. I was a passive backer last time for Broken Age - watched all the vids, read the forums but never got too involved. I was strangely depressed when it finally came to the conclusion of the game and production.

I think we've all missed those video updates and familiar faces of the DA crew and this time I'm going to get in on the action more and share my thoughts. So excited to be back in Double Fine land again for a new adventure!!

jarnosaurusrex, your icon is so cute! I recognise it as one of the Broken Age achievements, but it's the first time I've seen any of the Achievement art bigger than 64x64 px.

jarnosaurusrex, your icon is so cute! I recognise it as one of the Broken Age achievements, but it's the first time I've seen any of the Achievement art bigger than 64x64 px.

okay i just wanted to say the same ( the Avtar), at this point it becomes creepy.

at least we seem to have kind of the same taste when it comes to art lol.

okay i just wanted to say the same ( the Avtar), at this point it becomes creepy.

at least we seem to have kind of the same taste when it comes to art lol.

Haha Lordofriva I know, right? It's as if it's staring deep into your soul...

It also reminds me of Bobby's dance in psychonauts :P

I had to withdraw my pledge. It was very sad for me, but I'm having far too many money problems right now. I have to put my family first.

I had to withdraw my pledge. It was a very sad for me, but I'm having far too many money problems right now. I have to put my family first.

That's understandable. I hope you get things sorted. Either way, you'll one day be playing Psychonauts 2!

I have two vehicles with dangerous issues, am behind on every single bill, just got married, had a baby, and moved. Oh, Christmas, how I dread your arrival every year. Anyway, yeah. I want nothing more than to be a part of this, like I was with the last two, but it would be almost criminally negligent, and damn selfish of me to do this right now.

I have two vehicles with dangerous issues, am behind on every single bill, just got married, had a baby, and moved. Oh, Christmas, how I dread your arrival every year. Anyway, yeah. I want nothing more than to be a part of this, like I was with the last two, but it would be almost criminally negligent, and damn selfish of me to do this right now.

You can still be a part of it and hopefully they'll do a slacker backer thing again later on.

You gotta put your and your family's needs first, and no one can blame you for that. I hope things pick up for you financially soon, OANST.

Hi Oanst,

I was having similar issues, my older brother showed me YNAB (www.ynab.com) and it changed my life. It is a budgeting tool that is flexible and really helped me get things sorted. Good luck!

I made a post here to sorta help rally people to get the bonus goals up, maybe you guys could help spread it around?

(I realize a bunch of these aren't part of the goals, but it'll still get DF more exposure so heck why not)

I'm finally about to back this project up and I'm wondering is there any difference between using credit card at Fig and PayPal backing (at http://psychonauts.com/) other than you can get those sweet extras only from Fig?

I'm talking about stuff like "We are going to release some content through Fig updates during developement and they are visible only for Fig-backers" or similar "You are left out because of your payment method"-cases.

Edit: Forgot to ask if those extra items will become available at the DF Store when they have been manufactured for the backers?

So far nothing is locked to backers only, and once the campaign ends we'll migrate all of the backer information into our own system which we'll use to keep track of everything. Honestly I'm not sure what the post campaign tools for FIG are like as we've never used it, but we'll make sure to import the paypal folks into that system if we are able to, or just use our own.

Campaign exclusive items will remain campaign exclusive. There might be similar versions of things that appear if we have to make more than we needed, for instance with Broken Age we are making an art book for backers, and a de-specialized version for normal people to buy. The add-ons that aren't in tiers may also end up as merch potentially, although the Lili Doll would be a non talking, smaller, de-specialized version, like the existing iam8bit Raz plush.

:)

The add-ons that aren't in tiers may also end up as merch potentially, although the Lili Doll would be a non talking, smaller, de-specialized version, like the existing iam8bit Raz plush.

I hope we get to see them as merchandise later in the future or added on last minute for the PayPal backers.

I want to donate, but the link in the first post takes me to a page for something called "Consortium: The Tower." Does anyone else have this problem?

Erik Wolpaw left Valve. I really hope this means he is coming fulltime working on Psychonauts 2 at DF and future projects also!

Edited by Kolzig