Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Anemone

Psychonauts 2 fantasizing / wish list

You know this thread is coming sooner or later, so let's get it started. What are you secretly hoping for?

I am intrigued by the idea of playing as Lili a bit. Or if not playing directly as her, then at least having some Brutal Legend style team ups with support characters. How cool would it be to get to play alongside and perform team attacks with Lilli, Sasha, Milla, and other beloved characters, old and new?

But most of all I really, really, really, really, really, really, really hope we can have more Ford Cruller.

I just want the story to be a continuation of where the last one left off. Like right where it left off.

Also, I want some of the side characters to return like Linda and Edgar.

Oh boy, I'm somewhere between fantasizing of the potential of new worlds and psychic powers and trying to keep expectations realistic.

I'm hoping for a reasonable mix between a new cast and the original. Enough time to introduce new people while giving the old character arcs their closure. Maybe bring Sheegor and some of the asylum group back for a bit? It'd be nice to be able to see all of the old campers again too, but I'm not sure what context they would bring them back in. A cameo visit to Whispering Rock would be incredibly nostalgic, but I'd understand if they wanted to stick with building on new areas rather than spend time reminiscing about the old ones.

Regardless of who populates the hub area, I hope it's as lively as the old summer camp. Diverse characters always moving around with their own relationships and subplots, secrets to find, and plenty of things to interact with. All with a solid atmosphere and ost (I'm hyped that they're bringing back Peter Mcconnell). There were jokes in the original game I didn't uncover until years of replays later. That's the style I'm hoping for, big enough to explore, but manageable enough that the content isn't spread thin.

Hope the tone finds that same balance of light and dark that the original has as well. Humor that manages to be surreal yet somehow still managing to make sense in context. Snarky, but charming. Dark humor, but not too mean-spirited. Wacky characters, but with interesting backstories, etc.

I realize now that half of my wishlist is just me gushing about the original... So as far as new ideas go, more background on Raz's curse and his family in general would be great. I remember Tim hinting at their being more to reveal about who initially gave Raz his Whispering Rock pamphlet, so that would be a nice follow up.

A little more balanced combat against common mooks would be appreciated. Such as adding a bit more knock-back to the melee to help with the tedium of picking away at tankier enemies like Mega Censors, or dialing back on how long getting set on fire makes Raz flip out. Also, the ability to lock-on during levitation.

I am intrigued by the idea of playing as Lili a bit. Or if not playing directly as her, then at least having some Brutal Legend style team ups with support characters. How cool would it be to get to play alongside and perform team attacks with Lilli, Sasha, Milla, and other beloved characters, old and new?

I really like the idea of playing as Lilli for a section or two, considering that she was stuck as a captive for a good amount of the first game. They could change up gameplay by giving her a different skill-set to compensate for lacking Raz's acrobatics and drowning skills. And I'll be disappointed if we can't explore her mind by the end of it.

Either way, more emphasis on working together with Lilli, Sasha, and Milla would be great. Even if it ends up just in relation to the narrative, having other characters join in exploring some of the new minds could be entertaining.

really hope we can have more Ford Cruller.

Seconded again. Of all the character arcs that were left open in the original, not being able to help Cruller was always one of the bigger downers for me. The setup for a great mindscape was always there with his fractured psyche, we just need to pick up on it.

Boy, where do I start.

Characters: Obviously, we play as Raz, but I want to switch between Raz, Lille, Sasha, Milla, and maybe Oliander. How about some multiplayer where 4 people can play at the same time? I doubt we could do a custom character story mode. We had a Schizophrenic security guard, a Bipolar actress, an asylum employee with MPD, and an obsessive luchadore wrestler. I'm suggesting we use someone on Autism Spectrum and/or PTSD. Imagine what an Aspie's mind could be. I imagine the censors wearing a fedora and a neckbeard while the boss could be a giant pony.

Powers: I would like ice powers since we had fire powers in the 1st game. Also, how about mind controlling enemies to help you out.

Story: Let's begin where we left off 10 years ago.

Man would I love to see even more character diversity in the sequel! DF has been great with varied casts and I'd love to see this trend / tradition continue. Even more emotional baggage / deep dark secrets in the brain worlds. Milla's and Edgar's hit me straight in the feels and I can't wait to get my heart stomped on again. Also echoing others here, playing as other characters would also certainly be very nice!

I agree that being able to play as Lili would be awesome. Maybe some sort of co-op mode? I think that can be difficult to get right in a story-driven game, but it sort of works in some of the LEGO games, so I think it might be possible.

I would also love more Ford Cruller (and bacon) and some sort of redemption for him. This is probably way too ambitious, but one thing that could be awesome is if his mind works as sort of dimensions set in the same space that you have to switch between to progress, and solving one of them brings them together. It could work similar to how Oliver & Spike is meant to work.

OMG :) Shut up and take my Money (you already have it by the way)

Tim you know what i really loved about the old Lucas Games? That you found connections between the games...

In Monkey Island the guy who tells you about loom. A poster of maniac mansion in Zak McKracken, a gasoline can on Mars....

Would you/could you take a charakter from Broken Age into the game? Lets say the lumberjack guy.. he has alot of potential as a Game-Level-Mind with his Treephobia :) (or the tree :) with his hate for humans)

I imagine PN2 like a comicbook issue/novell. The first one was to introduce the world and the main characters. You could realy build that up like Marvels Univers!! Everywhere are agentgroups and supervillians. You need characters with different specialpowers. Some heroes can do this, but cant do that... so you could even build a coopmultiplayer function into the game for 2 players (splitscreen).

Please let Raz come back in his late teens or early 20. So the charakter has grown with his fans from 2005 and you could make an more adult aproach (if this is the plan, i hope)

And please DONT start with Raz has lost all his powers/memory and has to learn them anew.. it would feel cheap.. but yes i see the dillemma. Our Hero is already rather (all)mighty, how can you entertain the players with an OP main character .. i guess you start with a new main character in the same univers..

Im very exited :) Hope you can do it in less the 4 years because:

1 woman can "produce" 1 child in 9 month. So, lets say 2 women working together could have 1 child in 4,5 month done, huh ? :) (Project-Planing-Joke)

You need more Employees :)

Along with the other suggestions posted here, I REALLY REALLY hope some of Raz's weird family history is explored in the sequel. There were so many hints in the first game pointing to Raz and his family being above average psychics, not to mention the whole cursed to drown in water deal, to just be convenient plot and game mechanics

At least, even if they were, they'll be expanded upon the in sequel. Heck I just wanna see more of Raz's backstory.

More real-world battles would be cool, too. Like I know the mental landscapes are integral to what made the original Psychonauts so great, but can you imagine battling another psychic? Someone who could read your mind, or had the same skillset you do?

Game starts where first ended

Real messed up brains

Weird villains

Jokes

Crazy worlds

Funny mood but some serious/tragic parts maybe well hidden inside brains

Memory reels

All powers from the first game from the start

New powers

Basically I'd like the challenges Raz have to face to be and feel much greater than before, since he's now a real agent.

I don't really care about multiplayer or character switching, maybe just a temporary thing with Lilli but that's as far as I'd like it to go.

I hope that Broken Age can influence this a bit, in terms of extra dialogues. Everytime I got a new item in Broken Age, I just had to try and "use it" on every character, to see what dialogue came up, and that was especially fun with the Knife and Spoon.

The levels in Psychonauts 1 were pretty much perfect, so in Psychonauts 2, I just wish for more. But I hope that the hub gets a lot of attention, with extra dialogues and secrets.

I hope we don't loose the whole summer camping theme.

It's a thing I really appreciate in the american pop culture (see Psychonauts 1, Jacob Jones and the Bigfoot Mistery, A Goofy Movie, Gravity Falls, and many other even better examples).

More great minds to explore (Ford Cruller maybe?), more meta-humor and maybe something you could call "Meat Circus 2.0" in the end?

Things I've learned reading this morning:

SETTING:

No word on brain worlds yet, but Tim has said the hub will be the official Psychonauts HQ. That probably means that at least some of it will be inside and have some kind of international spy agency vibe.

(I did really like the outdoors of the first game, though, and the American nostalgia of it. The summer camp had a certain charm to it that resonated with the inner child of a lot of players in some way---even if they never actually went to summer camp, they probably had something similar with which to compare it. I wonder if the Psychonauts HQ will be able to tap into player's hearts in the same way.)

At first I wasn't sure how this sounded, because I imagined the Psychonauts HQ being an entirely indoors, sterile, white environment, like a hospital. But who knows? There could be indoor parts (cf Sasha Nein's lab in the first game), and there could be parts that are inside-outside (cf a lot of the cabins in the first game), and there could be outdoors parts.

CHARACTERS:

Tim appears to have confirmed the return of all the following characters and their original actors:

Raz

Lilli

Sasha

Milla

Ford Cruller (YES YES YES YES YES)

Things I've learned reading this morning:

SETTING:

No word on brain worlds yet, but Tim has said the hub will be the official Psychonauts HQ. That probably means that at least some of it will be inside and have some kind of international spy agency vibe.

(I did really like the outdoors of the first game, though, and the American nostalgia of it. The summer camp had a certain charm to it that resonated with the inner child of a lot of players in some way---even if they never actually went to summer camp, they probably had something similar with which to compare it. I wonder if the Psychonauts HQ will be able to tap into player's hearts in the same way.)

At first I wasn't sure how this sounded, because I imagined the Psychonauts HQ being an entirely indoors, sterile, white environment, like a hospital. But who knows? There could be indoor parts (cf Sasha Nein's lab in the first game), and there could be parts that are inside-outside (cf a lot of the cabins in the first game), and there could be outdoors parts.

CHARACTERS:

Tim appears to have confirmed the return of all the following characters and their original actors:

Raz

Lilli

Sasha

Milla

Ford Cruller (YES YES YES YES YES)

I would also point out that we have at least some clues about two totally new characters. From Peter Chan's sketches:

medium.jpg?1449187262

Letter E. Maybe they are the two characters in the foreground?

I would also point out that we have at least some clues about two totally new characters. From Peter Chan's sketches:

Letter E. Maybe they are the two characters in the foreground?

Maybe. Maybe not.

The sketch note says "sasha & milla's counterparts".

It all depends on what "counterparts" means. Maybe psychonauts have counterpart identities like clark kent and superman. Or maybe "counterparts" simply means general NPCs that perform a similar role within the Psychonauts institution as Sasha/Milla.

The way I imagined it is that there are theese 2 Psychonauts Agents that are the "rivals" of the team Nine/Vodello. I admit I could have gone a little bit too far with imagination though. Further more since english is not my native language I'm not entirely sure of the exact meaning of the word 'Counterpart'.

Please no "I love punching" style stuff (at least to the same extreme), it was such a pain with keyboard and mouse.

The way I imagined it is that there are theese 2 Psychonauts Agents that are the "rivals" of the team Nine/Vodello. I admit I could have gone a little bit too far with imagination though. Further more since english is not my native language I'm not entirely sure of the exact meaning of the word 'Counterpart'.

It is a somewhat vague term. It typically refers to two types of relationship (though if you have one, you usually have the other)

1) Anything that has "another half" that it joins with to make some kind of whole has a counterpart. So in a crimefighting duo, the sidekick could be said to be a counterpart. Spouses are counterparts. The heads and tails side of a coin are counterparts, etc.

2) Anything that has something separate and discrete from itself that works in cooperation or toward the same end. The crimefighting duo analogy kinda works here as well, since Batman and Robin are technically two different people, and yet they are both doing the same sort of thing with the same sort of goal. You could also say that [ham and cheese] are counterparts in the context of a sandwich.

So.. two parts of some kind of broader unit. But the two parts or two halves don't have to be strictly identical. That's my native speaker sense of it.

So in this case my suspicion is that it refers to "other NPCs that play a similar role to Sasha/Milla", but who may or may not be major characters. But psychonauts 1 didn't really have any inconsequential characters in the hub, so I'm sure they will have at least some character.

Please no "I love punching" style stuff (at least to the same extreme), it was such a pain with keyboard and mouse.

Ooh, that actually raises an interesting point. Psychonauts 1 was developed with console in mind, initially, which is probably what led to situations like that. I wonder how the design/controls will change since there is zero doubt that PC/digital will be a target this time.

1. More of the original voice actors. So far, only Raz and Lili's actors have been confirmed.

2. Psi-powers must be relearned though 'permits' allowing Raz to use them within HQ.

3. More mental worlds! More crazy environments!

4. Actual character development.

1. More of the original voice actors. So far, only Raz and Lili's actors have been confirmed.

He appears to have confirmed a few others in interviews, e.g. Sasha, Milla, Ford.

2. Psi-powers must be relearned though 'permits' allowing Raz to use them within HQ.

I agree that the "amnesia" problem that sequels usually have to figure out will need to be addressed, but I don't know if I like this as the way to do it. But something.

4. Actual character development.

Are you implying the first game didn't have any? Or are you saying the characters just didn't go through enough of a change arc?

Ooh, that actually raises an interesting point. Psychonauts 1 was developed with console in mind, initially, which is probably what led to situations like that. I wonder how the design/controls will change since there is zero doubt that PC/digital will be a target this time.

I actually don't have a problem with the "I love punching" stuff; at least for that minigame--pain as it was--it wasn't necessary to finish to advance, and you got rewarded with a bonus level-up if you stuck with it.

Plus, there's nothing stopping you from using a controller with Psychonauts. Personally, I think Psychonauts is best played with a controller, rather than a keyboard and mouse; and, while kbm could certainly be used, I don't think it's an ideal input scheme for this kind of 3D platformer game--DF shouldn't go out of its way to hinder kbm users, but you should by now know what you're getting yourself into playing a 3D platformer with that scheme.

And backed! Was really suprised this morning, and I don't think I have been this happy about a video game anouncement in a very long time.

I hope we don't loose the whole summer camping theme.

It's a thing I really appreciate in the american pop culture (see Psychonauts 1, Jacob Jones and the Bigfoot Mistery, A Goofy Movie, Gravity Falls, and many other even better examples).

If you look at the second piece of concept art on the Fig site (showing the HQ from the outside), there is an arrow in the lower left corner pointing to "Camp", so I think the game will probably feature some known areas but probably not all.

I hope at least some of the other campers are back, but I am pretty sure, we will not see all of them.

I actually don't have a problem with the "I love punching" stuff; at least for that minigame--pain as it was--it wasn't necessary to finish to advance, and you got rewarded with a bonus level-up if you stuck with it.

Plus, there's nothing stopping you from using a controller with Psychonauts. Personally, I think Psychonauts is best played with a controller, rather than a keyboard and mouse; and, while kbm could certainly be used, I don't think it's an ideal input scheme for this kind of 3D platformer game--DF shouldn't go out of its way to hinder kbm users, but you should by now know what you're getting yourself into playing a 3D platformer with that scheme.

I agree with you. I think the game is more well-suited to a controller, but I've been on this forum long enough to know that as soon as I say that, there will inevitably appear a lifelong PC gamer to explain all of the advantages KBM has over a controller (and there will be 1,000 of those tweeting at Tim if KBM isn't well enough considered). So by saying this I am just throwing a friendly bone to our KBM brothers and sisters, but as for me personally, I prefer controller and had no problem completing that challenge (though it was a challenge).

You guys know that you can just get USB controllers for PCs these days, right? It's hardly an issue, whatever they decide to do. If you want to justify cost, then it's a hell of a lot less expensive then getting a console just to play one game

You guys know that you can just get USB controllers for PCs these days, right? It's hardly an issue, whatever they decide to do. If you want to justify cost, then it's a hell of a lot less expensive then getting a console just to play one game

Yeah, I have one. It's not about being ABLE to use one control type or another. I'm thinking in particular of like when Skyrim came out and all the PC vets cried because the UX/controls were designed too much with console/controller in mind. Then on steam there are plenty of people with controllers complaining that the controller support for whatever title is technically there but only half-arsed.

So even if you have both, there is still a risk of one group or the other crying that they got the short end of the stick.

USB controllers have been around for ages, but they're usually not as well-designed as console controllers, and generic gamepads are still not well-supported in PC games. Tell me, which button on the controller is button 7? You'll never know just by looking at the controller.

Things have gotten better in recent years, with Microsoft leveraging its PC monopoly to allow Xbox 360 controllers to work natively on Windows, and introducing the XInput API, which helps simplify adding controller support to a game, and helps get matching controller glyphs to show up in-game. Sadly, it doesn't do much for people who prefer Sony's controllers, but some headway has been made there (See Shovel Knight, DualShock 4).

Sign in to follow this