Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Anemone

Psychonauts 2 fantasizing / wish list

Please no "I love punching" style stuff (at least to the same extreme), it was such a pain with keyboard and mouse.

Ooh, that actually raises an interesting point. Psychonauts 1 was developed with console in mind, initially, which is probably what led to situations like that. I wonder how the design/controls will change since there is zero doubt that PC/digital will be a target this time.

Ye I originally completed Psychonauts with Xbox and don't remember me having any problems with the controls there, but later in my "Must get all achievements"-mode had to spent few hours just spamming that one minigame and in the end got it with 0.4secs left in the clock and have hated that minigame since.

If you guys want to get rid of the punching, then how about giving Raz a psychic melee weapon like a Psy Sword?

If you guys want to get rid of the punching, then how about giving Raz a psychic melee weapon like a Psy Sword?

I don't want to get rid of the punching, just minigames that require you to overclock your brains and fingers and pray for RNGesus while completing it on the highest level just because you chose to play with keyboard and mouse.

Take the "AD" out of "ADHD" when designing the minigames.

Speaking of wishes, I'd like to have a new and revamped treasure hunt. Bigger and better!

And I'd also like to see Agent Crueller's youth (since we've already had tidbits of the stories of all the other Psychonauts).

The way I imagined it is that there are theese 2 Psychonauts Agents that are the "rivals" of the team Nine/Vodello. I admit I could have gone a little bit too far with imagination though. Further more since english is not my native language I'm not entirely sure of the exact meaning of the word 'Counterpart'.

It is a somewhat vague term. It typically refers to two types of relationship (though if you have one, you usually have the other)

1) Anything that has "another half" that it joins with to make some kind of whole has a counterpart. So in a crimefighting duo, the sidekick could be said to be a counterpart. Spouses are counterparts. The heads and tails side of a coin are counterparts, etc.

2) Anything that has something separate and discrete from itself that works in cooperation or toward the same end. The crimefighting duo analogy kinda works here as well, since Batman and Robin are technically two different people, and yet they are both doing the same sort of thing with the same sort of goal. You could also say that [ham and cheese] are counterparts in the context of a sandwich.

So.. two parts of some kind of broader unit. But the two parts or two halves don't have to be strictly identical. That's my native speaker sense of it.

So in this case my suspicion is that it refers to "other NPCs that play a similar role to Sasha/Milla", but who may or may not be major characters. But psychonauts 1 didn't really have any inconsequential characters in the hub, so I'm sure they will have at least some character.

I guessed right then. In my native language the word has a slightly different meaning. Citing from the dictionary, it means: "in every process, it is the antagonist part"

And backed! Was really suprised this morning, and I don't think I have been this happy about a video game anouncement in a very long time.
I hope we don't loose the whole summer camping theme.

It's a thing I really appreciate in the american pop culture (see Psychonauts 1, Jacob Jones and the Bigfoot Mistery, A Goofy Movie, Gravity Falls, and many other even better examples).

If you look at the second piece of concept art on the Fig site (showing the HQ from the outside), there is an arrow in the lower left corner pointing to "Camp", so I think the game will probably feature some known areas but probably not all.

I hope at least some of the other campers are back, but I am pretty sure, we will not see all of them.

Good news then :)

Hope to see my fav character again (Dogen)

DF Smash Bros.?

DF Smash Bros.?

Oh, there are desperate fans out there who want their favorite characters in Smash even if they are not related to Nintendo. What would Raz's intro statement be? "Raz gets psyched for the competition!"

DF Smash Bros.?

Oh, there are desperate fans out there who want their favorite characters in Smash even if they are not related to Nintendo. What would Raz's intro statement be? "Raz gets psyched for the competition!"

Well, we definitely know what his victory dance will be.

- At the end of the game, leave the world open for exploration.

Yes!

Speaking of wishes, I'd like to have a new and revamped treasure hunt. Bigger and better!

Yes! I don't remember if I wrote it here on the forums, but one thought I had was to make the treasure hunt procedural, so that item locations vary between plays, and once you've beaten the game, you can choose to re-shuffle, so that you can go around exploring a bit more to find the same, or possibly other, items again. It's possible that something like that would take a ton of time to implement though, and I don't expect it to be top priority. ;)

- Have the game start right where the last one ended

- Feel free to limit some of the powers that we had from the first game at the start of the second

- revisit Raz's mind, now meat-free, in a Super Expensive Brain Tumbler

- Have one mind that we 'revisit' from the first game, besides Raz's, to show how things are different now (maybe Oleander's)

- more awkward romance between Raz and Lili, incorporating psychic powers to make it even more awkward

- Interact with the camp kids' parents, to show how similar/dissimilar they are from their children

- More information on the water hands curse

- See Raz's Mom

I think that for the most part returning elements from the previous game should be left as small cameos and background nods. The second game should have a separate identity, and I feel like the Asylum patients and the camp kids should be left behind for the most part. I loved all of them and they had way more personality than most video game characters, but they were kind of one-note and I'd rather see new crazy characters than see a rehash of what I've played. Nostalgia is good, but I've already seen that and can always go back to it. New is better.

And of course,

- Give Raz back his goggles. (He didn't have them at the end of the last game)

Whether or not Raz will start out with all of his psychic abilities is an interesting point. I can see why it'd be tempting to limit his skillset in the beginning rather than have intro level design accommodate for every power being available, but I also hope that the progression is represented through more than just a total rehash of the first game's badge system. Maybe use the same powers near the start, but build on them with more diverse upgrades and secondary abilities?

Either way, I'd appreciate having levitation early on.

Raz could start with all the previous powers and introduce tutorial for new players learn how to use different power in a crash course type of setting.

Raz could start with all the previous powers and introduce tutorial for new players learn how to use different power in a crash course type of setting.

Maybe they could do smaller versions of Sashas, Millas and Coach Oleanders minds as optional Tutorials? They could say early on that whenever Raz needs more training he could ask them. And if you ask them, they pull you into their mind and provide you with training. Just not on the same scale as in part one. For example the cube in Sashas Mind had (obviously) six sides and therfore six different "rooms" plus the boss fight. The smaller version could be just one of the rooms plus a simulated boss fight.

On the other hand, they are at the HQ, and there should be some training facilities (i.e. completely new tutorials).

Or you have everything at your disposal from the beginning but you get a small tutorial the first time you need a power. You can play around with Pyrokinesis if you want to from the beginning, but at the first point where you need to burn something to progress there could be a dialogue. "Use your Pyrokinesis on it. You do know how to do it, right?" Possible answers could be "Yeah I know how to do it" (->Skip tutorial) or "I think I know how to do it, but tell me anyway." (start tutorial).

It is ok if there are a few tutorial parts dealing with old mechanics, but it should not take half the game to be where you were at the end of part one.

It is ok if there are a few tutorial parts dealing with old mechanics, but it should not take half the game to be where you were at the end of part one.

Ye either make tutorial completely different from the main story line (accessed via menus at the main menu) and can be completed before starting the story or like Mirko said it is part of the very early game and you can skip it if you have played Psychonauts earlier.

I'd be totally happy if they handled the tutorials like the first game- super quick tutorials that shove the basic controls and concepts of the game into one small bit that also double as small doses of exposition. I wouldn't necessarily mind a new 'Basic Braining', but I don't think they need to worry too much about tutorial-type stuff.

Let Raz to keep his existing power but improve their gameplay so that they feel more intuitive. ;)

Give a way Raz to earn upgrades to his existing powers so that you can utilize them in new ways, additionally to their previous use.

Better enemy variety and make enemies more frequent in appreciate areas.

Better mouse + keyboard support. It was good enough in Psychonauts but could be improved upon.

Explain a lot more about their world as we barely know anything.

Yeah, I DEFINITELY want more worldbuilding! How does the world at large feel about psychics? How does their existence change culture and popular media? Is there any more science behind it, or is just brain stuff that happens because reasons? Are the only psychic celebrities psychonauts, or are there more out there in hollywood? I want to KNOW these things!

And more noncombative psychic powers would be really cool, or at least psychic powers with equally useful combative and noncombative uses! I wanna EXPLORE what I'm able to do with my mind!

Explain a lot more about their world as we barely know anything.

I feel like we know just the right amount.

I've never been a big fan of games including a bunch of lore and information about characters/world just to have it in there. Over-explaining and over-analyzing are two ways to water a story down, if not ruin it. I expect we'll learn more about the Psychonauts as an organization as it will surely become necessary, but I don't want or expect Psychonauts to go Elder Scrolls with information about its world.

Plus, like Tim has kinda said about it: one of the cool things about Psychonauts is that it could be anywhere.

I'd like to see them pick up on the implication that Lili made, about the Psychonauts not being what they used to be. She said the world didn't need them anymore but never really elaborated on it. Though it could just have been a reference to how she doesn't want to inherit her father's work.

I've never been a big fan of games including a bunch of lore and information about characters/world just to have it in there. Over-explaining and over-analyzing are two ways to water a story down, if not ruin it. I expect we'll learn more about the Psychonauts as an organization as it will surely become necessary, but I don't want or expect Psychonauts to go Elder Scrolls with information about its world.

Plus, like Tim has kinda said about it: one of the cool things about Psychonauts is that it could be anywhere.

I thought the amount of backstory that could be found in the first game for places like Thorney Towers was a nice touch. Not necessarily a full codex, but enough to help paint a picture on how things ended up like they did, and why some of the strange things around camp actually had a reason to be there.

I am a sucker for good, strong characters with lots of depth, and the original game is of course full of that (in fact, character depth even plays an important role in the gameplay - so bonus points for that!) and in the sequel I'm hoping to learn even more about the characters. If the description on fig is anything to go by, it sounds like Raz is going to get some interesting character development, as he will apparently start to learn that the Psychonauts HQ is "not the perfect place he expected" and how he finds out that they "need him more than he needs them". I'm really looking forward to seeing how Raz's character develops in the sequel. But I'm also hoping to learn a few new things about the other returning characters (Lili, Sasha, Milla, Cruller, etc.) and I hope that any newly-introduced characters will be just as fun and quirky as those who appeared in the first game. So yeah. Keep up the great work with character design and development, DF!

I also second the previous comments about having lots to do in the physical, outside world. Like others here, I loved the atmosphere of the summer camp, interacting with the other characters, listening to their conversations (my favourite drummer joke came from that game btw) and it reminded me of my own childhood summers. :) Even though it sounds like the setting will be a little different (set at the HQ rather than a kids' summer camp) I still think it would be natural to bring the atmosphere of the first game into this.

Not actually sure where I stand with the whole "should Raz start with his psychic powers from the first game or not" thing. I can kind of see advantages and disadvantages to both sides of the argument, and I haven't really taken a side yet. It will be interesting to see what the devs decide on!

Also not sure whether I like the idea of having more than one controllable character. I do think it'd be interesting because in the first game all the different kids at the camp have their own specialities when it comes to psychic powers, and being able to control more characters, each with their own powers, would probably be really fun! But at the same time I'm not sure how feasible that is, plus I wouldn't want extra controllable characters to take away from Raz's story and development.

I hope we get to visit Boyd's brain again... but this time actually help him :P

Especially if the G-Men have returned. :)

Mind-control to control different characters would be an interesting new power. That was pretty much the basis for Stacking, so maybe they'd reuse it. Fits into the world and lore pretty nicely

If they really do get JB back in the studio, there should be a joke where at some point Jack Black says the line:

"WITH MIND BULLETS!!! That's telekenesis, Raz."

Reference:

If they really do get JB back in the studio, there should be a joke where at some point Jack Black says the line:

Reference:

I'd rather have the power to move you.

Reference:

I'd rather have the power to move you.

aoz8kgx8pzknypz7z38n.jpg

I loved how much depth even the smallest characters had in Psychonauts, and how the campers had their own little story arcs you could follow if you thoroughly explored the hub between levels. I'd love to see more of that stuff in Psychonauts 2.

If we see the return of an inventory system, plenty of great responses when you try to use objects on characters.

Also, using clairvoyance on NPCs was a lot of fun, as it was another way to get a bit more depth out of them in seeing how they see Raz.

I would preferably not like to see another point-of-no-return at the end of the game, but if it makes the most narrative sense, then I'll deal with it.

I would like to also have shed some light of what other camp members do as psychonauts if they end up joining them.

It's just some stuff like, their common powers and how they benefit their cause. Unless the world fears their existence then I could see many of them making in medical field like curing people from their insanity like Raz did in the first game.

Since Raz is protagonist the story probably will imply that he is exceptional compared to his peers but I would still like to see how powerful an average psychonaut is.

I loved how much depth even the smallest characters had in Psychonauts, and how the campers had their own little story arcs you could follow if you thoroughly explored the hub between levels. I'd love to see more of that stuff in Psychonauts 2.

Agreed. I loved the little subplots and background interactions. Some of my favorite jokes early on came from just sitting around and listening to the band members shoot the breeze.

I would like to know if Sasha Nein has started vaping, as I noticed his floating ciggie seems to be absent ;)

He just telekinetically draws all secondhand smoke in the air toward him wherever he goes.

Sign in to follow this