Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Anemone

Psychonauts 2 fantasizing / wish list

I would like to know if Sasha Nein has started vaping, as I noticed his floating ciggie seems to be absent ;)

He just telekinetically draws all secondhand smoke in the air toward him wherever he goes.

Can we get some disappointed side glances from Milla too in that case

My number one request would be jumping into the mind of a Crazy Cat Lady.

That's number one, before anything else.

Climbable scratching posts. Those little springs with the floofy balls on top, that you can pull back on and use to fling yourself across wide spaces. Using your thought bubble to ride the stench of an unchanged litter box up, up, up... while Raz let's it be known how he feels about the smell.

We could go Indiana Jones for a minute if we wanted. You know those big round tubes that have a ball in them and the cat swats at them from outside, and they go round and round and round and ro-... you get the point.

Level should introduce free aiming for telekinesis (could be introduced sooner), rather than always having lock-on. Imagine the Crazy Cat Lady, perched up high in her scratching post fort. She commands her kitty cat minions below to attack. A big cat barrels down on you... you assume the stance to fire, and switch to manual aim. The spot you're aimed at is marked with a small glowing red light, much like those laser pointers that cats love, ever so much. The cat spots it. Rather than firing at the beast, you use the marker to have it ram the fort, eventually knocking our Crazy Cat Lady down where you can reach her.

Lower on the list, I liked the Psychonauts reference in Alice: Madness Returns, so maybe a nod back that way. Not like we need to jump into Alice's head, but I'm sure they could come up with something suitable.

I think that it would be pretty neat if a teenage Eddie Riggs (pre-Brutal Legend) ended up being a security guard or something that suits him being a bouncer or material handler for the Psychonauts HQ and Raz having a side quest of entering his mind to help him with whatever troubles that may be on his mind.

I think that Raz should be equipped with a small grenade called The BFF (no, not best friends forever) "Brain Fart Frag" to momentarily freeze time while he is in the mind of any character. This would allow Raz to reach areas of difficult platforming easier and maybe boost his shield.. maybe like a Super Mario invincibility star?

Another idea would be a brain freeze cannon. It would shoot ice cream (scoops, cones, ice cream sandwiches, banana splits, etc) at an enemy's head causing disorientation and pain.. but while they are in agony of pain the characters would happily say what flavors of ice cream they like. "Ow, Ow, OWWWW... this hurts SOOO bad, but I love Chocolate Fudge Swirl Ice Cream!!!" The ice cream could be called "Brain N Jarries" (Brain In Jars) as a pun-tastic take on Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream.

There could be a level where it is in a large scary grocery or department store. The character would remember being a child and having felt the loss of their surroundings/parents/friends. The store would be in constant Black Friday mode with all sorts of interesting characters and Sales People trying to get you to sign your life away by applying to their credit card. If this idea gets made, then I would like to see the environment set-up to look like Walmart and Best Buy had a baby please. The sales people would act like the ghosts on Super Mario. When you look, they freeze. When you look away, they come at you. JUST LIKE REAL LIFE! The door greater could be a Thanksgiving Turkey dressed in Emo clothing. Just because. Don't ask.

Fun platformy levels could include Airport Freight distribution (like fedex/ups) think of the winding conveyor belts, tug trucks, airplanes, etc.. The character could suffer from a case of dyslexia and constantly be sending packages, trucks, and planes to the wrong destinations. Raz would have to solve the puzzles to get all of the packages to their right destinations.

Maybe an super hero themed amusement park to make fun at all of the comic inspired movies that are out lately? Have the character be a collector of comics that has insecurity issues with others but become the hero herself/himself if Raz helps out. The character could have a split personality disorder and switch between hero and villain stories which would change the dynamic of Raz's ability to maneuver through the environments.

Mad Scientist Level V2.0 Syringes, beakers, flasks, bubbles, smoke. This time it wouldn't be a ward, it would be a lab with more and more labs. Why? Because science.

Food critic level. Character suffers from OCD. Levels made out of a mess of foods like strings of spaghetti and pizza everywhere. The mess has literally drove the character mad. Collect the pizza toppings throughout the level and fit those into a giant Pizza like a puzzle. Everything has it's place. Or does it?

The color of my sky is silver. It is the lining of my mind. Thanks for reading DFAFers.

I would LOVE an area as exploration-heavy as The Camp. I'm not sure if it would make sense for Psychonauts Headquarters to be so game-y, so it being the hub is a little out-of-the question. That said, a separate mind or real life section like that would be great. Replaying the game, goofing off around camp is one of my favorite parts about it.

I also loved how the different campers had their own detailed insecurities and miniature stories. I want MORE OF THAT in this game when dealing with everyone, but especially the fellow agents in the Psychonauts headquarters. More details on the life of Sasha and Milla would be great too :D

the Zombie Raz (aka Raz-ombie) from the game Zombie Vikings, as an alternate costume. :D We know Psychonauts 2 involves necromancy, so maybe this could help Raz blend in with the brain-eaters.

(that brings up another question... does eating the brains of psychics give zombies super-powers?)

I wish the DF guys will manage to make the official Psychonauts uniforms not to look like pajamas! Or, if this is the case, that Raz will not wear one of those uniforms in this sequel.

The outfit of the 1st game was super cool. I'm glad we'll be able to use it :)

Inception Level, where each level is just more and more out of control.

Do it!

Inception Level, where each level is just more and more out of control.

Do it!

No, Raz. We have to go.... deeper.

I wish the DF guys will manage to make the official Psychonauts uniforms not to look like pajamas! Or, if this is the case, that Raz will not wear one of those uniforms in this sequel.

The outfit of the 1st game was super cool. I'm glad we'll be able to use it :)

I remember hearing that the original game had originally planned on multiple Raz appearances like in Black Velvetopia, so it'd be cool if they could revisit that and make different outfits available, either in the Hub World's store or in changing his design with different mindscapes.

I like the idea of having the option to play as Raz in his original iconic look or in a new, cool outfit because he's an official agent now, both are appealing to me.

My wishes (apart from the ones that are already being satisfied, like learning more of Raz's family and the curse):

1) playable Lili

2) to enter Ford Cruller's mind to help him with his split personality condition

3) Sasha/Milla shipping

4) if they don't appear themselves, some kind of reference/tribute to the campers. Like being able to see their files/social media accounts on a computer, or something.

In GTA3 I put a car and truck tractor together to get up high enough to jump over a wall in an out of the way, enclosed car park and on the other side I found this sign.

GTAHS.jpg

This has stuck with me as one of my favourite gaming memories. Fred’s girlfriend easter egg was very cool too of course, but the fact that I saw something that I thought I could maybe do which I “wasn’t supposed to” and then I worked it out and found that sign was a stroke of genius. It made me feel at the time like I was getting to see something that the dev put there just in case someone worked out how to do it but they didn’t expect anyone to actually be there. Of course they knew millions of gamers would be crawling all over that city looking at every nook and cranny but at the time it felt like seeing something I wasn’t actually supposed to see.

Maybe there could be a common concept “easter egg” in various hidden parts of Psychonauts 2 that suggests something deeper and connected. There was certainly a lot of infinite emptiness in areas you aren’t supposed to be able to get to in Psychonauts 1 judging by the banter in the DFTV Psychonauts speed run! Zen infinite emptiness is very deep and connected but a little subtle perhaps!

fredg.png

I remember hearing that the original game had originally planned on multiple Raz appearances like in Black Velvetopia, so it'd be cool if they could revisit that and make different outfits available, either in the Hub World's store or in changing his design with different mindscapes.

Well, the campaign did have that "play as Raz from Psychonauts 1" goal set, so that implies that they're planning to include at least one alternate costume you can freely switch into. Maybe that could mean more costumes aren't that much of a stretch?

Actually, if there are more alternate outfits to choose from, I'd like to see Raz with a Whispering Rock camper shirt... and of course the return of Black Velvetopia Raz.

Maybe even references to other DF games, like a Brütal Legend or Broken Age-inspired look.

...I dunno, just thinking out loud.

Well, the campaign did have that "play as Raz from Psychonauts 1" goal set, so that implies that they're planning to include at least one alternate costume you can freely switch into. Maybe that could mean more costumes aren't that much of a stretch?

Actually, if there are more alternate outfits to choose from, I'd like to see Raz with a Whispering Rock camper shirt... and of course the return of Black Velvetopia Raz.

Maybe even references to other DF games, like a Brütal Legend or Broken Age-inspired look.

...I dunno, just thinking out loud.

It'd be nice to see a sort of expansion on being able to customize the color of Raz's levitation sphere. Unlocking outfits and appearances in new worlds and changing them in the camp/HQ store, etc.

Get some Black Velvetopia outfits for the rest of the group while they're at it. Might be a bit resource-intensive to switch Lili, Sasha, and Milla's appearances around too, but I like the idea of having the whole team change their look for certain mindscapes.

I thought of something. How about something similar to Stands from JJBA where Raz and others can use a mental projection of themselves as an ally in a real life battle.

Aside from all of the fantastic ideas here there only a few things I would like to see.

The most interesting thing I think they could add would be better enemy AI.  In the original the enemies were at worst trolly.  The only enemies that presented any true threat were the fire cougars, and those were pretty easy to avoid with invisibility.  I would like to see the enemies actually cut off escape routes.  Even better would be if some of the enemies were tall enough to make it so you can't simply levitation ball away from them.

I know it's not really feasible but I wouldn't mind getting something small for having rank 101 in the original game, like an extra merit badge, or decoration on Raz.  

Also, Raz MUST have his goggles.  It's just not right if he doesn't.

This is a fun thread! For some reason I'm struggling to conjure ideas that would make as large an impact on me as the first game, which I went into with zero expectations. (Thank goodness for Steam sale impulse buys!)

I think what I loved was that Super Mario 64 rhythm (charming overworld to explore and frolic around in between surprising and inventive levels) combined with a unique and lovingly rendered art style and strange/hilarious characters. As long as those ingredients are there in abundance, I'm ready to experience whatever settings and situations Tim, Zak and team have in store. I'll always have the first game if I feel homesick for Whispering Rock!

I loved the way percentage completion was integrated into the narrative as a ranking system. That was absolutely brilliant, and I hope that's done again here.

Should be pretty easy to explain: it's your PSI Cadet ranking you've reached 101 with, so there could just be a scene where Raz is like "Why am I rank one again?" and Nein or someone else explains that that's his Psychonaut ranking, not his PSI Cadet ranking.

I've heard that Banjo Tooie gives you all the abilities you acquired in Kazooie at the beginning, leaving only new powers to find. I'd like it if this game followed suit, although that may complicate things for new players.

I also hope to hear far less crying.

Come to think of it, I am appalled that Psychonauts 1 didn't make a pun about mental gymnastics, unless I missed it.

Edited by Iron Joe

Sign in to follow this