Sign in to follow this  
Anemone

Ridiculous speculation about identity of the mysterious outside benefactor

WHO DO YOU THINK IT COULD BE

"Will the game have mousey toys?

Our market research shows games with mousey toys have the best ROI."

business-cat-meme-blank-funny-necktie-323x315.jpg

*edit*

I kinda created this thread as a joke, but for people who seriously want to guess, Tim has essentially given us these criteria:

1. It is some person and/or group that is affiliated with the game industry

2. It is a person and/or group that does not normally function as a publisher

3. It is definitely not Notch (but that doesn’t rule out any Notch involvement, if Notch should want to)

Nah. According to me it's not Notch.

It could be though the holy man who is behind Dracogen. Steven Dengler, if I remember correctly.

He is an awesome human being.

Or Gabe, maybe? Valve and DF collaborate from time to time.

WHO DO YOU THINK IT COULD BE

"Will the game have mousey toys?

Our market research shows games with mousey toys have the best ROI."

business-cat-meme-blank-funny-necktie-323x315.jpg

Business Cat is my spirit animal!

Nah. According to me it's not Notch.

It could be though the holy man who is behind Dracogen. Steven Dengler, if I remember correctly.

He is an awesome human being.

Or Gabe, maybe? Valve and DF collaborate from time to time.

Yeah, when I read that bit about the outside source of financing, Dracogen was the first thought that came to my mind as well.

I'm thinking Notch would be the obvious guess.

I'm betting on Notch as well.

Tim has given us these criteria:

1. It is some person and/or group that is affiliated with the game industry

2. It is a person and/or group that does not normally function as a publisher

3. It is definitely not Notch (but that doesn't rule out any Notch involvement, if Notch should want to)

"It's not Notch," Schafer told Polygon.

Also, Dracogen has been a pretty open (indeed VERY open) supporter of DF in the past. I don't see any reason why he would be secretive about it for this game in particular all of a sudden.

My money is still on business cats.

necktie_cat.jpeg

Mysterious benefactor, you say?

latest?cb=20100325130147&path-prefix=en

YOU'RE GOING TO LOVE BEING A TRANSHUMAN, TIM.

I think there are a few people/groups we can be sure to NOT be the secret investor.

1. Tim said it is not Notch, and Notch said it is not him. He will probably be one of the high tier backers.

2. It will be on Windows, Max, Linus, PS4, and XBox One, but not on Wii U (it may or may not come out on the next Nintendo console, but that is still not really anounced). So it will probably be neither Microsoft, Sony, Apple, or Nintendo, because neither would be interested to allow the publication on the competitors system or in Nintendos case not having it on their own system.

3. It could be also be Valve (wasn't that Gabe Newell in the Pitch Video, who allowed Erik Wolpaw to be "into it"?). But I think this is really unlikely. I do not see any reason why they would want to keep it secret. Also would they really want to back a project using a competiting engine instead of Source (2)?

In an Interview Tim talked about a not yet anounced Unreal Engine 4 Game, that will release before Psychonauts 2(Q: "Would this be your first game in Unreal 4?", A: "We will ship one before Psychonauts 2 comes out. It hasn't been announced yet."). We don't really know anything about that and I think, the same Person/Group may be involved there and that is the reason they do not want to talk about that yet. Because it could spoil the other reveal?

I don't think it would be valve since one of the things Tim said was that this person/group does not usually operate in a publisher role in the industry, whereas Valve definitely does.

Of course, that's only in terms of SELF publishing their OWN games, but even so, that casts doubt on it being Valve. And, yeah, I don't see a good reason why anyone at Valve would want to be secret about it.

Devil's Advocate: Maybe Brad getting a job at Valve was just a trojan horse operation for him to sneak in and put a mind control device on GabeN! NOW IT ALL MAKES SENSE!

Part of me wonders if it is some other developer getting into the publishing business a bit, akin to say Paradox Interactive, and how they similarly started taking on collaborations (Cities: Skylines, Pillars of Eternity) in addition to working on their own games (EU, Hearts of Iron, etc)

Smiles

3. It could be also be Valve (wasn't that Gabe Newell in the Pitch Video, who allowed Erik Wolpaw to be "into it"?). But I think this is really unlikely. I do not see any reason why they would want to keep it secret. Also would they really want to back a project using a competiting engine instead of Source (2)?

Valve's core business is their game service, so they could well be funding Psychonauts 2 even if it's using a competing engine. They have already put a massive amount of resources into Steam Machines, and have worked with developers and driver vendors to make SteamOS a future console alternative, and an instantly recognizable IP like Psychonauts could be worth a lot to them. They're not competing with current generation consoles. Their vision is long-term, so that P2 is coming out on Xbox One and PS4 isn't of any concern to them, and is likely even an advantage since it will make their brand more recognizable to owners of current generation consoles.

Considering a number of the recent (last couple of years) announcements have been associated with Sony and the just announced Sony VR game, I wouldn't be surprised if ...wait for it... Sony is helping fund the game, too.

Considering a number of the recent (last couple of years) announcements have been associated with Sony and the just announced Sony VR game, I wouldn't be surprised if ...wait for it... Sony is helping fund the game, too.

Perhaps. Though, Adult Swim has been friendly too!

Smiles

Re: Valve, Sony, Adult Swim

I think you guys are still ignoring the part where he said it's someone that does not usually serve as a publisher, which all of those companies do.

Maybe it's one of those investor people from the show, Shark Tank..

**runs around flailing arms in air like a crazy person **

Business Cat is my spirit animal!

Business Cat hates everyone on earth other than Nick Jameson and Bill Farmer, too?

Could it be... Donald Trump?

If this is true "Happy birthday Mr. President" -easter egg in the game confirmed ;)

My bet's on Dracogen.

It's sad that Dracogen's website doesn't tell you what the hell they do.

My bet's on Dracogen.

It's sad that Dracogen's website doesn't tell you what the hell they do.

Dracogen (i.e. the Steve) is just the one guy. He made all of his money from starting and operating XE.com, which has nothing to do with him as an investor.

Dracogen is like his investor "handle", and it's pretty much just him giving money to things he hears about that he thinks sound cool.

This seems like the likely answer. "We'll help fund Psychonauts 2 if you make a Psychonauts Playstation VR game". Sony need to push that pile of plastic trash hard as they can. Does make me wonder what is the point of crowd funding though. Sony being the extra source couldn't just throw an extra 3.3 their way?

Re: Valve, Sony, Adult Swim

I think you guys are still ignoring the part where he said it's someone that does not usually serve as a publisher, which all of those companies do.

That's why I also suggested this, ;) :

Part of me wonders if it is some other developer getting into the publishing business a bit, akin to say Paradox Interactive, and how they similarly started taking on collaborations (Cities: Skylines, Pillars of Eternity) in addition to working on their own games (EU, Hearts of Iron, etc)

Smiles