Sign in to follow this  
TimeGentleman

Full Throttle Remastered

http://www.theverge.com/2015/12/5/9854484/full-throttle-remaster-ps4-announced

Classic Lucasarts point-and-click adventure game Full Throttle is getting an HD remaster in the same vein as Grim Fandango and Day of the Tentacle. Legendary game designer Tim Schafer announced the remaster himself today at PlayStation Experience in San Francisco. In addition to freshened up graphics and sound, there will be director commentary and new control schemes that are friendlier to today's audiences as they take control of biker gang leader Ben and save his mates. The game is coming from Double Fine, so we're expecting it to get the same great treatment Grim Fandango received when it was lovingly remastered. Full Throttle will be available on PS4 and PS Vita.

I hope this will come out for PC as well.

And I am going to bang the same old drum again: I really hope the HD art is grimy rather than super-clean - mud and oil and blood everywhere, please!

I'm sure it will come out on Windows, Mac, and Linux too. Both Grim Fandango Remastered and Day of the Tentacle Remastered were announced to be coming to PlayStation 4 and Vita too, and they were later revealed to be coming out on computer platforms as well. All three were revealed at the PlayStation Experience, so the reveals were Sony specific for that event.

Once there's a board up with a questions thread, I'll be asking about how they plan to handle the vehicles that were originally done with sprited 3D models - will they do the same thing? Do them 2D start to finish? Or something else?

I wonder. Those models looked definitely of their time.

Sidebar: If only Tim could go back and add the water world that was cut. Man, that is something I'd like to see.

Queue mandatory favorite moment of badassery :D

I love this game, it really holds a special place in my heart. Its so sad that we will probably never get a sequel. because i think there is more story to tell here. I really want to know mere about Ben and Moe

Not to mention the voice actor of ben is one of my top 5 game character voices of all time. The way he speaks, it screams badass macho :D

So sad that he is no longer with us :-(

Oh my god. I... I think i got something in my eye. This is a special game to me for sure. The tone/style/setting/whatever of the game is just so good.

My friends know either grim fandango or monkey island (or both), but no one knows about this piece of badassery! I'll have to teach them when this comes out.

Spaff confirmed PC:

http://www.doublefine.com/news/comments/announcing_full_throttle_remastered/

Incidentally, Eurogamer has luisimage's fan art on their article without clarifying it as such. Not sure if either DF or luisimage is bothered by that (or whether they even asked luis' permission):

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-12-05-full-throttle-remastered-coming-to-ps4-and-vita

Sidebar: If only Tim could go back and add the water world that was cut. Man, that is something I'd like to see.

I know there was a cut peyote sequence but never heard about the water world. Are you thinking of the first cancelled sequel "Full Throttle: Payback"? It had this waterfall town concept art by Bill Tiller:

http://www.adventureclassicgaming.com/index.php/gallery/image/2908/

That fan art, damn, it still looks way too good and anything less will be a let down to me sadly, luisimage did a super amazing job on that, it pains that the actual remaster won't look anything like that, and a gaming website posting that image is just setting people up for a let down.

I know there was a cut peyote sequence but never heard about the water world. Are you thinking of the first cancelled sequel "Full Throttle: Payback"? It had this waterfall town concept art by Bill Tiller:

No, I read/watched Tim Schafer say he had to cut a third of the game recently. That's where I got the water world from, but I can't remember where I saw it!

Perhaps in the Broken Age documentary extra videos ("side quest"?)... there were a couple of videos of Tim playing a bit of the old games, including Full Throttle. I think he said something about cut content there, but not too much.

Dammit, I'm wracking my brain. Maybe that hour long YouTube interview he did?

No, I read/watched Tim Schafer say he had to cut a third of the game recently. That's where I got the water world from, but I can't remember where I saw it!

Ooh, interesting!

Re. the fan art, as stated in the original thread for it, I would not hope for the remaster to look like that, but the two pages of compliments seemed to firmly put me in the minority!

Damn, I didn't know that Eurogamer put the Full Throttle fake in the article. It's really funny xD (and sad at the same time, because it's misleading information)

Ooh, interesting!

Re. the fan art, as stated in the original thread for it, I would not hope for the remaster to look like that, but the two pages of compliments seemed to firmly put me in the minority!

Found it:

If you haven't watched this interview, it's well worth it!

I shifted this thread off to the brand spanking new Full Throttle Remastered subforum.

I shifted this thread off to the brand spanking new Full Throttle Remastered subforum.

You better not have used a car to shift it. Or god forbid a mini van!

I really hope that they add an option to skip the action sequences. I know that some people play adventure games because they don't have good reflexes or have a problem that doesn't let them play more fast paced games. Those sequences really exclude some of the audience.

Plus the sequences kinda suck anyway.

This was the game that got me into adventure games so I'm super pumped to see this getting a remaster. Though I would have liked a squeal a lot better but I still can't wait to blow up some rabbits!

I really hope that they add an option to skip the action sequences. I know that some people play adventure games because they don't have good reflexes or have a problem that doesn't let them play more fast paced games. Those sequences really exclude some of the audience.

Plus the sequences kinda suck anyway.

There's already a key to auto-win a fight - W, I think.

TP - thanks for the interview link, will watch soon!

Is that true for all the fights that require a specific item?

Also, can you also use the chain on the cavefish? I always used the plank (waiting until it looks up, of course) on the cavefish and the chain on the recoil booster dude.

Is that true for all the fights that require a specific item?

Also, can you also use the chain on the cavefish? I always used the plank (waiting until it looks up, of course) on the cavefish and the chain on the fuel injector dude.

I was going from memory so your way is probably the answer.

I think they definitely can make the controls for the bike fight minigame more responsive. That reminds me of the Highway Surfing minigame in Sam & Max - if they ever do that one I would hope they would make it a bit more fun to play as well. I think Mike Stemmle even said in the MixnMojo Secret History article that he wished they either made it better or left it out completely in its current version.

Yeah, I think the only problem with the fights really was the horizontal movement was very tricky.

I now realise I had watched that interview already, but I must have missed that tantalising info about all the cut stuff! Thanks TP!

NP. I have to say that I found the biker sequences annoying. I pretty much the same wall that Tim did in his video playing it. I was like, "what the hell is this? Surely it shouldn't be this difficult." The rest of the action sequences were very unresponsive too. I hope they tackle that stuff.

I get annoyed at the bike fights, but I thought the controls were solid enough. It's just that it was difficult. Which is fine by me. The Destruction Derby I cannot stand, though. I always skip it in ScummVM.

I thought it was hilarious that Tim couldn't get past that first fight - it's the only easy one in the entire game! You just cruise into the guy and mash the mouse button until you've punched him enough! Tim was trying to tactically weave in and out but it's not necessary in that fight.

I never had an issue with the derby myself...