Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
n0rman

Day of the Tentacle Remastered trailer at Playstation Experience

Not sure if you're aware, but you can actually embed YouTube videos into your posts.

Like so!

2B5d4LU1pCU

Saves people a click, which is always kewl.

Anyone notice that Purple Tentacle's "arms" disappear for a few seconds? Also, Edna didn't wink at the end of the video, oddly enough.

DF: How about involving a few of us die-hards in the beta process? I know you may not take on board every little whim, and maybe you're aware of all these things, but some of us can spot things instantly, and they might be of use to you. Just a thought -- I wish I could have helped out with some of the stuff in Grim Fandango.

Looking awesome though!

Yep, we heard you in the other thread.

That was before this thread existed. They shouldn't tease things that aren't locked.

Glad to finally see it in motion. :D

So I'm guessing this trailer uses the "oldschool/midi-sounding" version of the OST?

Okay, time to [del]nitpick![/del] analyse! :D

When the Chron-o-johns disappear there's a different sound effect than the shutter spinning one.

Some other sound effects are also different, like when Bernard punches the clown (at least it sounds different...).

I'm guessing these aren't actually sound effects from the game and have been added in post production, right?

If, not... Call me a purist but part of me just really wants to hear the exact same noises, just in higher quality. ^^

Oh and if you ask me, those eyeballs that are spinning around inside the time travel vortex thingy could really use a smoother motion, just like what the spinning newspaper got.

Glad to finally see it in motion. :D

So I'm guessing this trailer uses the "oldschool/midi-sounding" version of the OST?

Okay, time to [del]nitpick![/del] analyse! :D

When the Chron-o-johns disappear there's a different sound effect than the shutter spinning one.

Some other sound effects are also different, like when Bernard punches the clown (at least it sounds different...).

I'm guessing these aren't actually sound effects from the game and have been added in post production, right?

If, not... Call me a purist but part of me just really wants to hear the exact same noises, just in higher quality. ^^

Oh and if you ask me, those eyeballs that are spinning around inside the time travel vortex thingy could really use a smoother motion, just like what the spinning newspaper got.

Yeah im curious as well. I dont like changing sound effect just because "hey lets change them". They dont fit in.

Anyone notice that Purple Tentacle's "arms" disappear for a few seconds?

Yeah, I thought it was just bad trailer editing but on a re-watch seems not! Someone mentioned elsewhere that the shadow under Bernard's nose flickers in his close-up, too...

I'm relieved that while the screen scrolling has been smoothed to (presumably) 60Hz, characters still move at their walk-cyle framerate. I was worried we might be getting sliding feet.

It's so surreal hearing those voices in high quality. Also, I think the animation looks really good (I agree with what Laserschwert said about the smooth scrolling thankfully not interfering with the walk cycles).

I think the reason for some sound effects changing was because they couldn't recover all the originals. I think they confirmed that some were still available though (in top quality) so I'm guessing some of the original sounds will get used and some won't? Based on what's available uncompressed.

Glad to have a better idea of the release date too! :)

I thought so too! Definitely sounds like a cleaner version of how it sounded back in the '90s. Although I thought a part of it at the beginning sounded particularly clean and wondered if that was a snippet of the new version (I could easily be wrong though).

Anyone notice that Purple Tentacle's "arms" disappear for a few seconds?

Yeah, I thought it was just bad trailer editing but on a re-watch seems not! Someone mentioned elsewhere that the shadow under Bernard's nose flickers in his close-up, too...

Actually, I think you were right about the trailer editing! When he says "I feel like I could..." he hasn't yet grown the arms. So they showed the mutation, then cut back to before he's got his arms (just to hear that line), then went to a later shot again where he has them!

Also, thanks for sharing that video, johnnytoxic! Hadn't seen that one. Nice to see the new interface, the verb coin, and the transition between the old and new (not just graphics, but the interface too).

Actually, I think you were right about the trailer editing! When he says "I feel like I could..." he hasn't yet grown the arms. So they showed the mutation, then cut back to before he's got his arms

Dammit, I shouldn't have doubted myself! Yeah, he normally goes from growing his arms straight into the one arm up pose ready for his CU, right? Here they clumsily inserted a line in the middle. This is the kind of thing, like the laundry room signs, that garners pessimistic comments online because internet folk predisposed against DF see it and jump to "DF obviously don't care, lazy devs, blah blah blah".

EDIT: (speaking of which, did anyone notice the single comment on that video?)

Dammit, I shouldn't have doubted myself! Yeah, he normally goes from growing his arms straight into the one arm up pose ready for his CU, right? Here they clumsily inserted a line in the middle. This is the kind of thing, like the laundry room signs, that garners pessimistic comments online because internet folk predisposed against DF see it and jump to "DF obviously don't care, lazy devs, blah blah blah".

EDIT: (speaking of which, did anyone notice the single comment on that video?)

Yeah, I do think a "fan pass" could be an incredibly useful thing for DF. I'm not saying they're going to have a "Guybrush's hair" situation, but I'll wager we know the games better than even Tim or Dave or Peter C or Peter M do now -- from a player's perspective I mean. Don't forget the "Golo Flake" texture typo in Grim Fandango!

A private forum for all these little niggly things that only fans would spot, could help them steer clear of any serious backlash, and hopefully help them make the game even better (with the full knowledge, of course, that they may not decide to make the changes that are suggested -- things have to be prioritised).

Of course, it's still early days, and the really obvious stuff like the font being unreadable (see below), are going to be fixed by March:

1OBLGMz.png

the font being unreadable
Not to mention that the font looks REALLY crappy... with the thickness of the verticals all over he place. Using a "crazy" font doesn't really help readability, neither is it necessary to underline DOTT's whackyness. Also, black outlines are a must on colorful backgrounds like these.

Not to mention that the font looks REALLY crappy... with the thickness of the verticals all over he place. Using a "crazy" font doesn't really help readability, neither is it necessary to underline DOTT's whackyness. Also, black outlines are a must on colorful backgrounds like these.

Yeah, it's true. The font looks pretty awful, too. The original font was quite goofy, but very readable and organic looking. No idea why they've made it so angular and un-Chuck Jones like. I assume it's a temp.

The font seems to be an upscaled version of the original font... unfortunately it didn't scale up well enough.

Not sure about that. I thought it was at first, but although it shares some similarities, it's very odd looking. (Take the 'M' for example.)

I'm pretty sure that won't see release.

I viewed that video with the full screen segments of gameplay on my big TV and it looked great.

Could definitely use an outline! I like that this game (along with most of the other LucasArts classics) has colour-coded subtitles for each character, and I'm glad they seem to have kept that intact.

It almost looks like a vectorized version of the old font used for the subtitles - I'm guessing that's what they were going for? But even back then it at least had a nice black outline so you could read any character's dialogue on whatever background it was on. Maybe they're planning to add an outline on this one anyway (which would explain why all the letters are so spaced out).

Also, the text looks huge! Maybe that's how much space it took up on the old, tiny resolution? I think if it gets shrunken down that alone will help it look a little cleaner (not necessarily readable, but cleaner)!

(EDIT: Wow, going by ShyGuy's post, the new text is actually larger!)

I wonder if they would be able to involve us in beta testing? That would be amazing, and like it's already been said, we might notice things they haven't necessarily seen yet. At least it looks like it's going well so far, and they still have plenty of time to clean up bits and pieces before March. (Even better if there was a little forum for all beta testers to discuss things like ThunderPeel suggested, so everyone wouldn't be contacting the devs separately and saying the same things over and over.)

Yeh, throw out a few codes doublefine to the regular posters here :) We can be extra QA then.

Saying that, they still have 3+ months of development to go yet.

All of these little things we are seeing are probably already on there bug tracker.

I'd love to beta test this! :D

I've played and seen this game a million times so I'd definitely see any differences. ^^

Hey look, they didn't remove Max's cameo:

max.png

Yay! :)

There was already some dialogue to go with his picture (fully voiced, obviously) so I guess replacing him with another well-known character would've meant the description of the picture would not make as much sense (e.g. it would've been weird putting Manny or Ben in that picture frame and have Hoagie still call him "Max").

I wonder, did DF have to get any special permission from Steve Purcell or Telltale to keep the Max cameo there, or did those rights come with the rights for making the DOTT remaster?

Max appears in Full Throttle too, so hopefully that cameo will also make it to the remaster!

It would be cool if Purcell gave them permission, but I'm wondering if they need to ask? I wonder if LucasArts removed the Max cameos from the Monkey Island SE's because they were advertising another company's game? Who knows. Interesting to speculate, though. Glad he's in it!

Sign in to follow this