Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
n0rman

Day of the Tentacle Remastered trailer at Playstation Experience

I just don't get why. I mean it's not like anyone can do anything with those assets now...

I'm hoping you'll be able to show something once the new version gets released.

To be honest, I was surprised that DF were even allowed to see the assets, after Disney bought Lucas out. I remember a few guest speakers in college mentioning they'd worked at Disney, but they would never really go into much detail about their time at the company. They'd be quite comfortable talking about the rest of their career experience though. Makes you wonder what goes on there! :o

To be honest, I was surprised that DF were even allowed to see the assets, after Disney bought Lucas out. I remember a few guest speakers in college mentioning they'd worked at Disney, but they would never really go into much detail about their time at the company. They'd be quite comfortable talking about the rest of their career experience though. Makes you wonder what goes on there! :o

It's all due to non-disclosure agreements, which are actually quite common when dealing with large corporations.

It's all due to non-disclosure agreements, which are actually quite common when dealing with large corporations.

How long do these usually last? Forever? D:

How long do these usually last? Forever? D:

The length differs, not just from company to company, but sometimes from project to project. But, yes, some NDAs are indefinite.

Well, it looks like DoT using a 2xSaI filter.

Not that I'm complaining: it looks really good.

I had that thought too, because the colors are perfectly matched to the original and all smoothed out, but it's actually more like we live in an alternate universe where pixel-to-vector filters are actually smart enough to magically know what the image is supposed to look like!

I've seen games like this filtered, and they look nice, but they could never look this nice. Definitely feel the similarity though.

A Reminder of what 2xSAI looks like.

3HeesB9.png

Yeah, the new art looks more like an 4xBR filter combined with vectorization, but again it'd have to be a filter powered by pure magic rather than science. It's like, if pixel filters worked the way they do in our heads instead of how they work in real life :)

I realize the comparison doesn't come across as flattering but what I mean is it really looks like they've taken the original art and made it high-resolution, rather than being any kind of reinterpretation. It's quite impressive.

It's a 1 to 1 up-res, rather than a reinterpretation. Both have their pros and cons. The sharp pixels tricked the brain into seeing extra detail that wasn't there. When it was redrawn, those pixels vanished and so did the perceived detail. So I think a little reinterpretation would help.

Anybody know if this will be released on steam and iOS, just like grim and monkey island ??

Welcome!

I'm fairly sure it's going to be available on Steam (I think that much has been confirmed at some point) and according to this it'll be on PC, Mac, and Linux. But not on iOS.

(Disclaimer: the link goes to Wikipedia so it may or may not be correct, depending on who last edited it!)

Thanks, I only ask because I had a lot of fun playing grim fandango on steam and iOs

I'm sure day of the tentacle would make a bucketload on those platforms !!

Breathing a lot of new life into the game :)

The game's looking absolutely fan-dabby-dozy! I can hardly wait for this, as Day of the Tentacle is a very strong contender for my favourite game of all time. I was completely HEARTBROKEN when I heard that LucasArts had been developing a special edition, only for it to be cancelled well into production. However, I'm now OVERJOYED that we're finally gonna get a spiffy, new HD version to play.

My only bugbear is that the main theme isn't orchestral. That was always a huge part of what I've always dreamt of, in terms of a potential remaster of Day of the Tentacle. Ah well, I'm not gonna look a gift horse in the mouth (though I will shove some false teeth in its chops).

Also, the announcement of Full Throttle: Remastered is the icing on an already scrumptious looking cake.

Now, how about Maniac Mansion 3, DoubleFine? An announcement of such a thing would cause this particular man, suffering from severe depression to be quite a bit less depressed. That's a good enough reason in of it's self, is it not?! Please. Pretty please. With sugar and a suck job on top.

EDIT: I'm sorry to harp on about this but perhaps it's not too late to request an orchestral opening? Of course, I know that a full orchestral soundtrack is probably completely out of the question but just the opening theme? I mean, just imagine a refined version of this as our introduction to Day of the Tentacle: Remastered...

nEmC4dnpGR4

... I feel that it would add immeasurably to the experience.

I've heard that orchestral performance before and I love how exciting and energetic it is - would be awesome if they could do something like that for the intro, although I'm not sure how likely that'd be.

But they did mention something a while back about two different soundtracks being available for the game; one that sounds more modern and another than emulates the old music (specifically they said SoundBlaster). I'm interested in hearing a sample of each of these so we can compare the similarities and differences. That is, if that's still happening. I think that was a couple of months back now and since then things could have changed for all we know. The idea interested me though!

And obviously I second Brett's suggestion on Double Fine making a Maniac Mansion 3. Because I'm always up for a Maniac Mansion 3, and I trust Double Fine. :)

I've heard that orchestral performance before and I love how exciting and energetic it is - would be awesome if they could do something like that for the intro, although I'm not sure how likely that'd be.

I'm wondering if this doesn't happen (which sadly, it likely won't), whether it would be possible for Double Fine to somehow allow us to MOD the final game to include that orchestral theme from the previous page?

...obviously I second Brett's suggestion on Double Fine making a Maniac Mansion 3. Because I'm always up for a Maniac Mansion 3, and I trust Double Fine. :)

Indeed. I'd also be more than happy to help fund a Kickstater for a Maniac Mansion 3. Just sayin'.

ARE YOU LISTENING, DOUBLE FINE?! THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN! (well, at least 2 of them have)

Indeed. I'd also be more than happy to help fund a Kickstater for a Maniac Mansion 3. Just sayin'.

ARE YOU LISTENING, DOUBLE FINE?! THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN! (well, at least 2 of them have)

Me@Kickstarter for MM3.

200_s.gif

Me@Kickstarter for MM3.

200_s.gif

+1

I would throw money at that.

Regarding the soundtrack, I'll always be a fan of the electronic score.

I reckon MM3 would get funded faster than Psychonauts 2. But then you have a risk of hurting a legacy and high expectations.

What I loved about DOTT was the time travel and how the mansion had changed.

Thimbleweed Park does look good. :) It was even introduced as Maniac Mansion 3 in an early article, although I'm not sure if the setting really has anything to do with the first two games. Definitely a game I'm looking forward to though, either way!

Personally, I'm opting for a follow-on story from Day of the Tentacle. Awkward in that the game's objective was to stop the whole thing from happening in the first place, but maybe a sequel to it could be about a time paradox that they unknowingly caused. And I love the characters in DOTT too, so I'd love to see more done with them.

I wasn't too sure what to think about Thimbleweed Park...

I mean the concept is cool. Another Adventure Game made by Ron Gilbert in the style of the first game sounded really good.

But when I saw the screenshots and it kinda looked like.... well... a fangame. Albeit a very good fangame... but still a fangame.

Like one of those hundreds of fangames you'd find on maniac-mansion-mania.com.

Again, not bad.... just.... I dunno...

I mean the concept is cool. Another Adventure Game made by Ron Gilbert in the style of the first game sounded really good.

But when I saw the screenshots and it kinda looked like.... well... a fangame. Albeit a very good fangame... but still a fangame.

A fan game with a $600k budget. :)

But what exactly did you expect? The kickstarter showed the graphical style they aimed for, and if anything, it's of higher quality now then before.

A fan game with a $600k budget. :)

But what exactly did you expect? The kickstarter showed the graphical style they aimed for, and if anything, it's of higher quality now then before.

I actually first saw the project when the kickstarter was already over. But even when I look at the newer screenshots... something just fells "off" about it. I'm not sure what.

I think it's the characters. I know they are supposed to look kinda awkward, just like how they did in Maniac Mansion....

happy_bathroom1.png

The backgrounds looks really good but again, the characters.

I'm pretty sure it's their faces. Their eyes are so far up... it looks kinda doofy, to be brutally honest.

Ah, cool, I hadn't seen that screenshot. That answers my previous question about whether or not it actually had anything to do with Maniac Mansion (besides the style, of course).

I was never a fan of the big heads in Maniac Mansion (although I understand why they made them so big), but I really love the look of TP.

I knew she reminded me of someone! xD

Here's a screenshot I found on mixnmojo with a few characters in:

full20141118132116.png

The current action probably makes sense in context.

Anyway, what interested me about this picture was that even though head shapes, nose shapes, etc. are limited, the characters all still look unique. The clown and the two people either side of him all have the same shape nose, and then the other three adults all share another nose shape. Hard to say with the kid, because he's facing the front.

But also the woman at the front of the queue looks like her nose is really high up (level with her eyes, or at least her glasses) while the other two with her nose have less of a gap between their nose and mouth. It adds a little more variation, although it does mean that some characters are probably going to end up looking quirkier than others!

(I have to say, the man behind the clown looks like his eyes are placed lower down than the other characters we've seen so far. While I personally am not particularly concerned about the other characters having high-up eyes, I do think he looks more natural than they do!)

Sign in to follow this