Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
n0rman

Day of the Tentacle Remastered trailer at Playstation Experience

After watching the first look with Rob Gilbert himself, I'm pretty psyched for Thimbleweed Park.

fp2ONwX-BNk

So the entire engine has been rewritten by Ron to represent the SCUMM engine (because of licensing), but with many modern advantages.

I'm hopeful all of the work that went into the engine might result in more point-and-click adventure games!

I'm still so excited for DOTT, I literally cannot wait!

I do like the retro/modern graphics mix. I especially like the street lamps, fire in the trash can, and the fireflies in the outdoor scenes. I definitely think the backgrounds look much better than the characters, but I can appreciate that the characters are reminiscent of the original Maniac Mansion (and also Zak McKracken) which I guess is what he was going for all along. Plus I think it's just my taste - I was never too keen on characters' visual designs in those two games, but I think that most people who liked how they looked will like the visual designs for the TP characters too.

That style of screen scrolling is pretty groovy. :D

Anyway, I'm loving the quirkiness so far, and like I said before I like the "pixel art meets modern visual effects" aspect.

I do like the retro/modern graphics mix. I especially like the street lamps, fire in the trash can, and the fireflies in the outdoor scenes. I definitely think the backgrounds look much better than the characters, but I can appreciate that the characters are reminiscent of the original Maniac Mansion (and also Zak McKracken) which I guess is what he was going for all along. Plus I think it's just my taste - I was never too keen on characters' visual designs in those two games, but I think that most people who liked how they looked will like the visual designs for the TP characters too.

That style of screen scrolling is pretty groovy. :D

Anyway, I'm loving the quirkiness so far, and like I said before I like the "pixel art meets modern visual effects" aspect.

Completely agree, it seems that 2016 will be a good year for point-and-click adventure gamers. Maniac mansion 1 & 2 and their spiritual successor all in one year! I did another playthrough of DOTT last night, managed to find some dialogue I hadn't heard before :)

Did Ron really call this style 8-bit?

.......close enough.... :V

No, he didn't. Once they got Mark Ferrari on the team, they decided to go for Monkey Island-esque graphics, instead of the planned Maniac Mansion look.

I know, I know.

It's just that most people refer to NES graphics when they say 8-bit, SNES when they say 16-bit, N64 when they say 64-bit, etc...

Sign in to follow this