Sign in to follow this  
ThunderPeel

I'm feeling a little bit overwhelmed!

It's like Tim Schafer snuck into my mind and made my DF wish list a reality. Wow, guys!

Next up. Remastering Monkey island 1, 2 and 3 and even 4, properly. Not like the amateurs did, no offence. But the remastered version of Monkey Island 1 looks especially bad if you ask me.

Next up. Remastering Monkey island 1, 2 and 3 and even 4, properly. Not like the amateurs did, no offence. But the remastered version of Monkey Island 1 looks especially bad if you ask me.

Yes, SOMI was bad, but MI2 was a vast improvement and IMO to this day features THE best interface for a point & click game, the click and slide wheel just felt so natural and actually translated well to controllers too! Plus the music was done really well and the background art was great, even incorporating some Bill Tiller vibes in the clouds. Voice Acting flowed much better in MI2 as well.

Really it felt like SOMI was a test run for them to actually invest for the next game, pretty much most things wrong in SOMI were fixed in MI2.

Plus, no offence, but I don't really want Double Fine to touch Curse (or Sam & Max: HTR for that matter), they wern't Tim's games, no one at Double Fine actually had any input on those titles if I recall. It would be great to see Curse get a modern release (and trust me I would buy it for like everyone on my Steam friend's list, I loved the game THAT much) but I don't really see what they could do with it unless they stored the art assets away or get Bill Tiller involved to re-draw the backgrounds (which he said he'd do at one point).

Plus, no offence, but I don't really want Double Fine to touch Curse (or Sam & Max: HTR for that matter), they wern't Tim's games, no one at Double Fine actually had any input on those titles if I recall.

A good portion of the people working on the Double Fine remaster of Day of the Tentacle actually were involved in Sam & Max Hit the Road. Peter Chan was on the art team, Peter McConnell did some of the music, Khris Brown did the casting and the script editing.

They won't be touching the design anyway, just the art, music, and voice acting. So having an artist, musician, and person in charge of the casting from the original game on board would certainly make them a good candidate for handling the remaster.

Peter McConnell did some of the music,

Whilst true here I always thought S&M was more Clint Bajakian's work with additional input from Peter and Michael. Art wise Steve Purcell was always the main on that game for obviously reasons in both concept backgrounds and character designs. Game design wise too, Steve Purcell is now with PIXAR still I believe and Michael Stemmle is at TellTale Games.

There's a handful of people at Double Fine in that case who helped on the game but unlike Grim Fandango, DOTT and Full Throttle, it was never a main game associated with Tim Schafer and his band of devs, and it would seem unfair for Double Fine to take these games on as then you'd get people thinking Tim was involved with these originally and was the creator behind them, etc, those kind of games, I would like to see get a modern releases, but I do think it would be weird for Double Fine to do, it wouldn't feel as personal.

They could totally remaster Psychonauts' cutscenes.

I do however agree that they should only do Tim's work. Unless of course they got the original project leads on board/in command.

Plus, no offence, but I don't really want Double Fine to touch Curse (or Sam & Max: HTR for that matter), they wern't Tim's games, no one at Double Fine actually had any input on those titles if I recall. It would be great to see Curse get a modern release (and trust me I would buy it for like everyone on my Steam friend's list, I loved the game THAT much) but I don't really see what they could do with it unless they stored the art assets away or get Bill Tiller involved to re-draw the backgrounds (which he said he'd do at one point).

I appreciate the sentiment, but if it's not DF, it will be another company -- probably with even less connections to the original team. Plus, I think if DF were to get a remaster like that, Tim would let the original folks get involved (just like Dave Grossman was with the DOTT Remaster). I would hope Tiller would be involved in any CMI remake, no matter who was behind it, too.

Peter McConnell did some of the music,

Whilst true here I always thought S&M was more Clint Bajakian's work with additional input from Peter and Michael. Art wise Steve Purcell was always the main on that game for obviously reasons in both concept backgrounds and character designs. Game design wise too, Steve Purcell is now with PIXAR still I believe and Michael Stemmle is at TellTale Games.

There's a handful of people at Double Fine in that case who helped on the game but unlike Grim Fandango, DOTT and Full Throttle, it was never a main game associated with Tim Schafer and his band of devs, and it would seem unfair for Double Fine to take these games on as then you'd get people thinking Tim was involved with these originally and was the creator behind them, etc, those kind of games, I would like to see get a modern releases, but I do think it would be weird for Double Fine to do, it wouldn't feel as personal.

Stemmle, just like Grossman, left Telltale a while back. I think none of the actual designers/writers from the Lucasarts days work at Telltale anymore. Chuck Jordan, who wrote for Curse of Monkey Island, still wrote for their Borderlands game I believe, but he hasn't been a permanent employee of Telltale since Season 3 of Sam & Max, he just did some freelance stuff for them after that.

I'm totally fine with Double Fine doing the other games. If anyone can do them justice it's them (more than the team behind the Monkey Island Special Editions in my opinion), and as others have said I'm sure they'd get the original creators involved. I think Curse of Monkey Island would be the trickiest of all the games to remaster, just because of the insane amount of art and animations, and there really aren't any shortcuts. Even though I'm not fond of the game itself, Escape from Monkey Island could really benefit from the Grim Fandango treatment (although, unlike Grim, I think a lot of the backgrounds would need to be remade because they just don't look good).

Sam & Max would be aces, and I'm sure Purcell would be up for it. Brian Moriarty mentioned wanting to do a remake/sequel to Loom with either Telltale (who didn't respond), Wadjet Eye (who loved the idea but said they could never afford it) or Double Fine (who responded with 'let's talk...'!). That could be very interesting as well.

My favorite Lucasarts game after Grim is Fate of Atlantis, but that's probably more unlikely to happen because of the Indy license.

I would be very, very happy if the next couple of years of Double Fine turned into a comfortable schedule of Psychonauts documentary releases and yearly Lucasarts remakes, with several Headlander-size games here and there as well. They've got an experienced Remake team right now, and a very unlikely deal with Sony and Disney that's very unlikely to happen again after this one ends, so I'm hoping they make the most of it. In a way, I think it's now or never.

Aw man a Wadjet Eye and DF team-up would be amazing. Maybe under the 'Double Fine Presents' label?

I know for a fact though that Tim said he wouldn't do any Lucas games that he didn't work on unless the original leads were involved.