Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Outatime

Why Psychonauts 1 is so good for me

Psychonauts 1 is amazing.

There are many reasons for that: the adventure, the fun, the humor, the story, the game mechanics, the unexpected, and the fact that you discover new things every time you play it. (20 super fun hours each!!!)

And I think, all of these could be replicated in Psychonauts 2.

But, there is one thing that Psychonauts 1 has that I think will be very difficult to recreate in Psychonauts 2.

You start Psychonauts 1 with no Pschyc powers, you have to learn them and earn them one by one. And every time you get a new power, it opens a whole new world of possibilities, you can reach places you couldn’t before, and do new things, and you start thinking how you can use it in the places you have been before.

The backpack is full of merit badges, we've already earned them. To re-create the experience of earning the merit badges, they will have to remove the old ones, or add new ones. Not sure about any of those...

But I don't make games and Double Fine and Tim do, I have plenty of confidence they will make an Amazing game.

It's going to be so much fun!

Thanks!

JP

I think there will almost certainly be some new powers, and some tweaks to how the current ones work (hopefully some sort of improvement to the interface for choosing them, too.

I'm hoping that the mainstays will be given to you almost straight away in some sort of training room at the HQ or something. It's not Psychonauts without the thought bubble powers, and although I found myself punching more than psi blast, that would be a weird ommission too, as well as telekinesis. If it gives us those three almost right away and then provides some plot reason why we don't get all the others straight away (easy enough, lots of games do this) then I think it'll be fine!

This time around I can see DF building the levels more around a combination of Psi powers being used together, rather on focusing on just the one you earn per level.

That, or we get upgrades to the powers, something we already saw in the first game, but to a greater degree. So maybe the joy of earning completely new powers will be replaced with the ability to use powers in completely different ways. Or we get both and have a whole mess of powers to play around with depending on the situation and your personal play style.

I can see powers like Clairvoyance getting dropped, it didn't serve a purpose anywhere besides the Milkman Conspiracy level and some fun extras outside of that.

It's possible that something happens which temporarily wipes out everyone's psychic powers. And I'm not talking about amnesia! Yes, I read your mind. ... Stop projecting so strongly, then! ... Really? I'd say I'm shocked, but you're actually in good company.

It's possible that something happens which temporarily wipes out everyone's psychic powers. And I'm not talking about amnesia! Yes, I read your mind. ... Stop projecting so strongly, then! ... Really? I'd say I'm shocked, but you're actually in good company.

Seems like a cop-out to arbitrarily empty one's inventory, but other games have done it without really impacting the flow.

CQ2, for example, does exactly that--on the surface, it starts you out with costumes from Grubbins on Ice, but then you lose those as the story begins (Spoilers?), and you have to basically start from scratch. Those who preordered apparently also get access to a handful of the old costumes for like 5 candy pieces each later in the game, which is nice.

The Ratchet & Clank games do it every damn time--each game starts you with nothing but your wrench and MAYBE a blaster or those magnet boots.

Not sure what'd DF would do. Hopefully it won't be some stupid, convoluted explanation, like HQ has inhibitors installed to prevent unapproved users from using your powers, and they need to vet you; or the transport plane gets attacked and Raz and Lili get banged around in the crash, so they need to relearn.

It's possible that something happens which temporarily wipes out everyone's psychic powers.

Players are usually savvy enough to realize that devices like this are just a narrative cop out to conveniently "solve" a gameplay problem rather than an actual intentional part of the narrative done for story reasons. Even if you had 100 different explanations to choose from to explain why all the PSI Powers were forgotten, players would still on some level see each and every one of them for the cop out they are.

Players can spot an ad hoc explanation for something you were always going to do anyway from a mile away.

Players are usually savvy enough to realize that devices like this are just a narrative cop out to conveniently "solve" a gameplay problem

True enough. Though, if the event is tied into the storyline well enough, we can be forgiving. If done cleverly, our suspension of disbelief may well even applaud the move.

Players are usually savvy enough to realize that devices like this are just a narrative cop out to conveniently "solve" a gameplay problem

True enough. Though, if the event is tied into the storyline well enough, we can be forgiving. If done cleverly, our suspension of disbelief may well even applaud the move.

In a game that deals with brains, I'm sure Tim could come up with some creative reason to affect a psychonaut's memory or "psychically block" the assertion of psychic power, so that the blocks have to be removed before you can use them again.

As long as it feels creative and amusing and seems to be woven into the actual narrative well enough and isn't just explained away in some dismissive manner, then I agree, it's possible for players to be forgiving, even knowing on some level that it's just for gameplay.

Sign in to follow this