Sign in to follow this  
Permafry_42

Multiple Playable Characters, and/or Character Costumes?

Any chance for the ability to play characters besides Raz? You have no idea how much I always wanted to play as Lili. Since Lili and Raz are around the same size could you get away with doing what was done in Costume Quest and have the 2 of them be playable and let you choose to play one of them at the beginning of the game, assuming the story would work for that. I could understand why it wouldn't be feasible if the story would be exclusively about Raz, rather than about both of them.

Also since they're related ideas any chance we could have unlockable character costumes? If we can't play as multiple characters, it would at least be nice to play as Raz dressed as other characters and with other looks (perhaps even in reference to other double fine games... Eddie, anyone?) in order to spice up the gameplay; especially when we'll be looking as Raz's back for most of the game (this was something I learned from the first game pretty quickly lol). Perhaps base some of them on the ones shown in the first game here:

or have a reference to the XBLA bug described here by making it a costume: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/561517-psychonauts/41510035

Of course all of these are just little things I'd be interested in, only if they wouldn't take too much development time/ money.

I feel like Lili will be a playable character this time. She's a similar size and has similar abilities to Raz, so it'd make perfect sense. Or maybe there are Lili missions and Raz missions. I'd be down with that, for sure. I think they'll be much more of a team in this game, now that Lili has her brain back.

I was a fan of how Raz's outfit changed to match Black Velvetopia's style, so that would be fun if there were a few mindscapes that did that.

Been seeing a lot of people mention wanting to play as Lili lately. I don't picture it as an optional thing so much as a story driven event, but I think that being able to play as her would be a good contrast to how she got sidelined at the end of the first game

There are a few ways I can see DF approaching inclusion of Lili as a playable character:

* The Broken Age route: The game follows Raz and Lili independently and allows you to switch between the two independently.

* The Costume Quest route: You select whether you want to play as Raz or Lili, and the other character takes a back seat, or becomes the end goal/rescuee.

* The Half-Life expansion route: Kind of a mashup of the Broken Age and Costume Quest options, I think. With Half-Life and its expansions, you play as different people that experience the same series of events from different perspectives. Applied to Psychonauts, you would select Raz or Lili at the start, and that determines where you go and whose minds you visit, with some crossover and such.

* Same-screen Co-op: Like the Lego platformers! Or like what A Hat in Time is proposing. Both characters, same screen, you can switch between the two at any time with the second controlled by AI, or play with a friend.

Personally, I'd like to see something akin to the Half-Life method the most, but it would have to also work with the Collective Consciousness. Perhaps add a retcon saying that you can only access someone's mind via the Collective Consciousness if you've previously established a psychic connection with that person, either because they willingly let you in, or because you used the little door portal on them?

I don't think it would need to be a complicated system. Just a matter of changing the player's perspective from Raz to Lili at certain points in the story.

At first I thought a costume quest type system would be the best for the sequel, then I realized how awesome it would be to play as different agents for different parts of the story; each one carrying out their part of the mission.

I wouldn't mind Lili being handled like Elizabeth from Bioshock Infinite- you do most of the fighting, but she stays closeby as a supportive team member- being Lili, though, it would be MUCH better if she actually got into the action a bit. Even better if you could switch- even BETTER if you NEEDED to switch between them for platforming puzzles.

Not too fond of the character switching idea tbh, but I can't place why. I just instinctively dislike the notion. But I loved The Cave which was all character switching so I'm probably just an idiot.

Not too fond of the character switching idea tbh, but I can't place why. I just instinctively dislike the notion. But I loved The Cave which was all character switching so I'm probably just an idiot.

I think I get it though: The Cave is really an adventure game (yes, really!) with platforming elements, whereas Psychonauts is a platformer with adventure game elements. Using character switching to progress in the game, while a neat idea, will turn it into something more of a puzzle platformer in my opinion, and make the platforming elements much less fluid.

I can think of some neat ideas you could achieve with this though, like if you have to get across a gap that is too wide to jump across, you could toss one character over with telekinesis, switch characters and then pick up the other character from the other side. Or maybe you could have one character use clairvoyance on an NPC, switch to the other and then have that character manipulate or pick up an item from the NPC's thoughts. (Might be to similar to Stick it to the Man! though.)

Another idea could be to have both characters be the same playable character in-game, like in Giana Sisters or Trine. That could compliment the platforming well, and might make for some devious optional challenges (finding collectibles?) where you e.g. have to make a long jump with the levitation ball with one character, then switch characters mid-air and use one of the other character's special abilities to get safely across to a hard to reach platform.

I can see it working, but I think it will make the game very different, and I don't know if that's good or bad.

I think I get it though: The Cave is really an adventure game (yes, really!) with platforming elements, whereas Psychonauts is a platformer with adventure game elements. Using character switching to progress in the game, while a neat idea, will turn it into something more of a puzzle platformer in my opinion, and make the platforming elements much less fluid.

I can think of some neat ideas you could achieve with this though, like if you have to get across a gap that is too wide to jump across, you could toss one character over with telekinesis, switch characters and then pick up the other character from the other side. Or maybe you could have one character use clairvoyance on an NPC, switch to the other and then have that character manipulate or pick up an item from the NPC's thoughts. (Might be to similar to Stick it to the Man! though.)

Another idea could be to have both characters be the same playable character in-game, like in Giana Sisters or Trine. That could compliment the platforming well, and might make for some devious optional challenges (finding collectibles?) where you e.g. have to make a long jump with the levitation ball with one character, then switch characters mid-air and use one of the other character's special abilities to get safely across to a hard to reach platform.

I can see it working, but I think it will make the game very different, and I don't know if that's good or bad.

I guess it depends on how you’re thinking of “character switching”.

One way of doing it would be to have a button that switches between Raz/Other when pressed, and then the other character becomes a follower controlled by AI. And you just switch back and forth at will. But I agree with you that I don’t think I like this very much. It would redefine the core gameplay too much.

Another way of doing it would be like Kingdom Hearts, where others team up with you, and maybe have some team-up attacks (cf brutal legend), but you never control them directly.

Another way of doing it would be like Ratchet and Clank, where you mostly play as Raz, but there are small segments where you play as another Psychonauts for a certain task, then switch back to Raz (i.e. a story switch, not a player-controlled switch).

I guess it depends on how you’re thinking of “character switching”.

One way of doing it would be to have a button that switches between Raz/Other when pressed, and then the other character becomes a follower controlled by AI. And you just switch back and forth at will. But I agree with you that I don’t think I like this very much. It would redefine the core gameplay too much.

Another way of doing it would be like Kingdom Hearts, where others team up with you, and maybe have some team-up attacks (cf brutal legend), but you never control them directly.

Another way of doing it would be like Ratchet and Clank, where you mostly play as Raz, but there are small segments where you play as another Psychonauts for a certain task, then switch back to Raz (i.e. a story switch, not a player-controlled switch).

Sounds similar to MediEvil 2, where Dan could put his head on one of the roaming hands and control it to get into small places, much like those Clank segments.

Maybe psychically control a squirrel and have to avoid Dogan? Or would PETA throw a fit?

I feel that style would be the most likely in regards to building off of the old one.

Having instances of friendly A.I. partners that help you and potentially follow the player around during combat would be interesting if they could implement it (e.g. like Brutal Legend's team-up attacks), but if it's modeled after the first game's style of platforming/puzzle-solving, I have a hard time picturing that we'd have ability to constantly switch between different perspectives.

Maybe Lili could get into the mind of Raz (via some means), and control him that way (and they could argue and tease one another inside the same head), giving him new abilities for 'x' amount of story time, eventually switching back to core Raz.

Smiles