Sign in to follow this  
Winthorpe_P_Winnipeg

Psychonauts: The series!

Interesting idea, but I'd hate to see the writing taken out of the hands of Tim.

On one hand, I like the idea of it, because Psychonauts IS very funny and entertaining. On the other hand, I don't think I would want for it to happen just because of how many other hands would be touching it and trying to control it creatively. If Tim wanted to (and if Erik wanted to), they could probably write stories and/or humor for cartoons, but they choose to do it this way because that is the way they want to express it.

I don't like the idea of someone like Dreamworks trying to make a Psychonauts movie or some animation studio trying to make a Psychonauts cartoon, for the simple reason that I don't like the idea of other people doing it.

"But what if Tim did it?" you might ask.

He's pretty busy making cool games, and he probably doesn't wanna stop doing that, and I appreciate that too.

TLDR: A fun idea in a perfect world where Tim, Erik, and DF can do all possible things, but in reality it may not be a good idea, as cool as it sounds.

Interesting idea, but I'd hate to see the writing taken out of the hands of Tim.

Agreed! I think the only way to do it is have Tim & his crew write it (or have final say on the script)

Agreed! I think the only way to do it is have Tim & his crew write it (or have final say on the script)

That would take them away from making games, though, which I doubt they would want to do. He's said something to that effect in the past. I think he's even said that he's received offers.

They're his babies and he doesn't want anyone else raising them.

But he also doesn't wanna stop making more babies because, heh.

Maybe a series of shorts (approx. 3 minutes long each) would be more feasible than a TV show of 26 half hour slots per season. And of course with Tim writing, or at least getting the final say on the scripts.

Although any of this is unlikely to ever happen, it's fun to think about! :)

A short might be okay. They did a thing like that with Costume Quest.

Maybe a series of shorts (approx. 3 minutes long each) would be more feasible than a TV show of 26 half hour slots per season. And of course with Tim writing, or at least getting the final say on the scripts.

Although any of this is unlikely to ever happen, it's fun to think about! :)

Yeah, I agree! It wouldn't have to be super long and complex, just little shorts on youtube with the characters we all know and love going about their Psychonaut antics~

Side note, you know what would be REALLY cool as a promotional tool? If DF approached comic artists about making actual little True Psychic Tales Magazines for them! They could just be like two to three pages long and have the Psychonauts going on adventures and stuff! It's really really REALLY wishful thinking, but it could be SO COOL!

Tim once said he's interested in writing for each story-telling medium in existence eventually, so writing a TV series script would be something he'd be willing to do.

I could picture them making more little snippets with the game engine, like those commercials that used to air on G4 (which make me incredibly nostalgic for some reason), but I don't know about a full series.

Maybe they could do something like Team Fortress, where once in a blue moon we get a short about a particular character or side-story. That'd be fun.

COMICS! GIVE ME THE COMICS!!

That'd be a nice alternative. Something that could explore a bit of the creativity and side-stories of the world without requiring the time or budget of the whole team.

I always thought Psychonauts would look gorgeous in Studio Laika-style stop motion, so I wouldn't be opposed to something animated by them. Stop motion ain't cheap so I'm not holding my breath for anything like that, but I can dream.

The most realistic non-game format for more Psychonauts goodness, as far as the price of making it goes, would probably be comics. Next thing up would probably be cinematic shorts made in the game engine, as Mikejames suggested.

But regardless of the format, it just wouldn't be right if Tim didn't have creative control over it, or at least had some sort of oversight or acted in a consultation role for storyline purposes. CANON OR BUST, BABY.

How would you feel about live action? A movie prequel starring Milla and Sasha!

Frankly, I'd rather see more of the Sam & Max TV series, though I could probably be sold on a Psychonauts show.

I always thought Psychonauts would look gorgeous in Studio Laika-style stop motion, so I wouldn't be opposed to something animated by them. Stop motion ain't cheap so I'm not holding my breath for anything like that, but I can dream.

I need more Stuido Laika in my life. Seeing them take on a colorful project like this would be great, as far fetched as it might be.

How would you feel about live action? A movie prequel starring Milla and Sasha!

Sorry, trying to picture the Psychonauts art style in live action gives me the jibblies.

I do not. Even want to IMAGINE Bobby Zilch. *shivers*

Also, I got my sister Shrek The Halls as a joke gift, after watching the whole thing and the stupid previews before it, I realize that I want an ironically-made awful Psychonauts Christmas Special. Like Raz And The Gang have to save Santa from who knows what and it has all of these dumb Christmas special tropes but it's handled more like Sam and Max than like an actual Christmas special.

I would pay GOOD money for that.

No, unless it's a Netflix series so I don't have to pirate it. Which reminds me, Timmmm, Netflix are interested in investing in childrens/teens animated shows at the moment!

No, unless it's a Netflix series so I don't have to pirate it. Which reminds me, Timmmm, Netflix are interested in investing in childrens/teens animated shows at the moment!

Just don't pitch an anime for the love of GOD don't pitch another anime 7 Deadly Sins is bad enough on its own don't encourage them