Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Anemone

Pitch Your Own Psychic Power

What other kinds of psychic powers can you imagine in the Psychonauts universe? Chances are they won't be used in the game, but let's have fun.

In a perfect world, where Psychonauts is a franchise that gets as many sequels as Final Fantasy, what are some of the different psychic powers you can imagine making it into the games at some point or another?

I always thought Kything would be fun, where two people join and become one, and you can experience the world directly through that person's eyes, and influence their actions.

It seems that one's actually going to be used in The Rhombus of Ruin (although they'll probably have another name for that power, as that term isn't well known).

I always thought cryokinesis would be fun, it could reasonably work too, as pyrokinesis in reverse. It could be really neat as far as platforming puzzles go, especially with Raz's...water problem.

After that, I'd probably just start dumping most of the powers from Okami directly into Psychonauts. :U

and HOLY SHIT THAT'S SO COOL! I wonder if that's the reason the game is gonna be in first person vr?

Using more advanced telepathy to communicate with multiple people could be entertaining. Like how the bacon was used to talk with Cruller, but with the option to choose who you call and see the various interpretations of different places and scenarios.

Group chat's used in important situations.

I always thought Kything would be fun, where two people join and become one, and you can experience the world directly through that person's eyes, and influence their actions.

It seems that one's actually going to be used in The Rhombus of Ruin (although they'll probably have another name for that power, as that term isn't well known).

So, like Dishonored's ability to momentarily possess people, and move around while seeing things from their perspective?

So sort of like a mind meld?

Retrocognition could be an interesting one to use for puzzle solving situations. Basically the ability to sense/see the past history of an object, which allows you to know the events leading up to its current state. Such as the ability to look at or touch the frame of a car in the junkyard and see how the car crashed, who owned it, the day it arrived at the junkyard, etc. Seeing the past through the point of view of a particular object, basically.

Kything / mind meld - For my own take on this, I'm imagining a scenario similar to when Rogue touches another mutant in X-MEN and temporarily gains a weaker form of their mutant traits. But this wouldn't involve touching at all, obviously. I'm imagining a situation where Raz is romping through a level, but Lilli (or Sasha, Milla, Ford, other psychonaut) is tagging along. Then you can use your "mind meld" or "kything" or "psychic link" ability, whatever you want to call it, to form a psychic connection with them, which allows you to use one of their psychic abilities, even if it's one you haven't mastered yet. Or maybe if you both know how to use pyrokenesis, for example, the mind meld could just amplify your output.

It could also temporarily let you borrow a proficiency of theirs, such as borrowing their ability to play the piano, to juggle, or to derive the quadratic formula. But once the link is severed or the effect wears off, you lose/forget the proficiency. (Which is probably a weird feeling. Flowers For Algernon, anyone?)

Mind meld only works if it is a mutual effort (?).

Lincoln Sense - Since psychonauts is a comedy game, it might be funny if some of the psychonauts experiment with discovering new psychic abilities and sometimes just come up with dumb ones. Kinda like how in Dr. Horrible or Mystery Men the super heroes (and/or villains) have really dumb powers. Maybe there are some psychic eccentrics that have tried to innovate but could only ever come up with a few dumb things. Lincoln Sense is one such thing. It is the ability to detect when anyone in the room is thinking about Abraham Lincoln. AH HA! YOU WERE THINKING ABOUT ABRAHAM LINCOLN JUST NOW! (Bonus if, in a twist of irony, a really stupid psychic innovation like lincoln sense becomes pivotal to overcoming a significant conflict situation.)

Mind Control - The ability to control enemies to help you in a fight or solve a puzzle.

Electrokenesis - The ability to control electricity and shoot lightning.

Psy Sword - The ability to summon a psychic sword for melee combat.

Psy Shotgun/Auto Rifle - We already have a normal gun, so why not upgrade it?

Vapenesis- Clouds enemies in vapor, blinding them temporarily, allowing Raz to sneak up and perform a 'vapedown', an excessively brutal kill that is obscured from view because of the vapor cloud.

I'll see myself out.

The power to briefly make anyone say whatever Raz wants them to say. Although maybe that just fits under that "Kything" thing some of you guys already mentioned?

Doesn't even need to be used in a puzzle-solving way, could just be a novelty power you go around using on every sentient being you encounter to hear them say silly immature nonsense (and an excuse to make some poor voice actors read those lines)

Oh. Or the psychic power to make a temporary solid object based on memory. IE make Raz a human 3D-printer.

Being able to teleport a short distance could be used both to extend your jumps a bit and to get through certain walls to find hidden collectibles.

Lincoln Sense - Since psychonauts is a comedy game, it might be funny if some of the psychonauts experiment with discovering new psychic abilities and sometimes just come up with dumb ones. Kinda like how in Dr. Horrible or Mystery Men the super heroes (and/or villains) have really dumb powers. Maybe there are some psychic eccentrics that have tried to innovate but could only ever come up with a few dumb things. Lincoln Sense is one such thing. It is the ability to detect when anyone in the room is thinking about Abraham Lincoln. AH HA! YOU WERE THINKING ABOUT ABRAHAM LINCOLN JUST NOW! (Bonus if, in a twist of irony, a really stupid psychic innovation like lincoln sense becomes pivotal to overcoming a significant conflict situation.)

There's a little bit of that in Psychonauts, with Dogen's ability to talk to squirrels, and the friendster promotional materials mention that Lili has the power of herbaphony, or talking to plants.

If they did have the ability to take over people's powers in Psychonauts 2 it would be kind of fun to get to do those silly things. Imagine if we got to take over Dogen in the first game and actually hear what the squirrels had to say.

Although, imagine if we got to control his power of spontaneous combustion. Eep.

Clear mind, Raz could cause short blackout to target stopping their actions and speech for a few seconds. Could be used in timed puzzle.

Edit: Now when I think more, wasn't there power or item like this already in Psychonauts?

Vapenesis- Clouds enemies in vapor, blinding them temporarily, allowing Raz to sneak up and perform a 'vapedown', an excessively brutal kill that is obscured from view because of the vapor cloud.

I'll see myself out.

No, vapenesis is the power Sasha uses for vaping ever since he gave up cigarettes. ;-)

Oh- it'd be cool to maybe incorporate ESP in the more traditional sense, for sensing ghosts and unseen stuff- it's technically the PROPER definition of clairvoyance, but I'm not gonna get into that. If it has completely plot-relevant use, it would be good if they put in some sort of hint or subtle indication that something is there.

It could also be useful against enemies that would utilize invisibility.

Psychic power asking for more wishes.

Wait, I don't think I'm doing this right.

Smiles

I remember the

pitch from the last Amnesia Fortnight, a game idea where you summon and control ghosts, with a distinct Psychonauts vibe. I wonder if any ideas from this will influence the sequel.

Umbrellekinesis: The ability to direct water away from you.

Isn't that basically water bending?

shhhhhhhhhh

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

How about mind reading? That's a pretty simple one that I'm surprised wasn't already used (outside of a few cutscenes)

So basically clairvoyance, but aural instead of visual?

How about mind reading? That's a pretty simple one that I'm surprised wasn't already used (outside of a few cutscenes)

So basically clairvoyance, but aural instead of visual?

They could do it Golden Sun style, it's a given mostly free-use ability that you can use on individual characters- sometimes you'll get something useful, but usually it's just an extra line of dialogue.

Wifekinesis- Ability to recall not so important facts that upset you, from years before, in precise detail.

Wifekinesis- Ability to recall not so important facts that upset you, from years before, in precise detail.

Wouldn't that just be reading their mind and bringing up 7th grade?

So anyway, Headroom, how's your marriage?

It'd be cool to be able to talk to animals. Even have limited control of animals. Great for gameplay too. I guess you might call it Zootelepathy or Zoolepathy?

Another one would be to be able to influence the emotional state of people. Anthrolepathy?

You know in supernatural movies where the little monster girls always manage to shut down all the lights by their sheer presence?

Ghost Aura: All electronics within a certain range temporarily fail, including lamps, electronically secured doors, non-resistant computers, and certain enemy weapons. May or may not come with a chilly wind and some randomly appearing frost.

It'd be cool to be able to talk to animals. Even have limited control of animals. Great for gameplay too. I guess you might call it Zootelepathy or Zoolepathy?

So then the birds would finally come alight on Raz's shoulder?

I don't have anything specific to pitch but I'd like to see passive powers. I love passive powers because I tend not to enjoy 'spell' type powers that you have to have loaded up and then fire off. I forget I have them, or forget to use them, or end up just using the 2 I know. But I love passive buffs. If those could be a part of Psychonauts 2, I'd use them a lot, I think.

Sign in to follow this