Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mechanikism

What Should Change?

I posted about this over in the Games of Yore thread before an official Full Throttle Remastered board was up. Sorry for the double-ish post.

Full Throttle is one of my favorite games of all time, so I’m pretty excited for the HD remaster they just announced. I did always feel like that game was a little short, though (or I just enjoyed it so much that I wished there were more of it), so while entertaining the idea of a remaster over the years, I thought that it might benefit from additional content - not removing or replacing anything, but possibly adding in scenes and sequences.

Unfortunately, we can’t get any new dialog for Ben since Roy Conrad’s passing back in 2002, so that leaves Ben-centric stuff out. This led me to think that it could be possible to drop in a section where the player actually plays as Maureen between her escape from Melonweed and when Ben shows up at the mink ranch looking for her. It’d be an opportunity to flesh out her character a little more, and show her connection with the Vultures before Ben finds her at their hideout in Coreville. Maybe Mo ends up at another town between Melonweed and the mink farm, and has some interaction with Vultures there? Or the whole sequence could take place at the mink farm, with a member or two of the Vultures present (who leave before she does, since she’s still there when Ben arrives). It’d change the overall tone of the game, probably, splitting the action between two characters, but it’d be a chance to explore the game’s world a bit more.

I've heard of the peyote sequence, which always sounded like just an old joke from the LucasArts offices to me (I can't imagine how many other proposed drug-fueled sequences were shot down for other games). And I saw mention of the water world, which seemed to be mostly rooted in the canceled sequel to Full Throttle. What else could be changed for the better in the HD remaster? I don't think the action sequences should be cut; they were really easy, and dropping them shortens an already short game.

✓ Keep the low res gfx for 2D (Pixel-Ben is one of the best sprites already) but improve the gfx/controls for driving (some more driving wouldn't hurt) and fighting on the road, maybe also some tweaking for the interludes [but without looking displaced to the otherwise low res gfx].

✓ Rewrite/improve the car crashing mini game.

✓ Rework/replace the coin interface, at least offer two options like in DOTT.

✓ Add content/puzzles and improve the accessibility/design of a few puzzles (bunnies/crowbar/...).

✓ Higher quality sound but only if it's consistent.

✓ Reasonably priced, DRM free for Win/OS X/Lin, adding the original too.

✓ German talkie would be nice. FT is one of the few games where the german version is the best.

✓ Docu track (keeping in mind what has been said in the other ones already, to keep it interesting.), maybe with an Auto-Play mode.

I would love to see the cut water based gang/area added, and of course the peyote dream sequence (that was later turned into the idea behind Psychonauts), but with Conrad gone, could it be done?

I don't think any more gameplay or story content should be added; like Grim and DOTT it should just be a remaster of the original game as it is. Although I'd love some developer commentary going into more detail about the cut ideas they originally had!

For the most part, I'm kinda hoping for it to turn out similarly to how DOTT Remastered seems to be (new, higher res graphics but with the old ones as an included option, and being able to switch between old and new). Definitely keep the Gone Jackals tracks in there (though why wouldn't they?) but I'm also hoping for some remastered versions of the midi music from the original. Don't know if it'd be possible to bring in a few live musicians?

I'm not really sure if the interface needs reworking. The original already had a verb coin of sorts, and a button to bring the otherwise hidden inventory on screen (which is basically how DOTT's interface has been improved) so I'm not sure what needs to be done there, if anything. I'll have to play the game again soon to refresh my memory, but I think I found some of the controls a little awkward during the road fighting, so perhaps that can be reworked.

Also make sure the biker haikus are not removed. They are amazing. :)

I also hoped the Gone Jackals tracks will still be there. I don't mind if this remaster will be adding new puzzles, longer and completed version (as originally planned maybe) since there is no sequel anyways.

I would certainly enjoy new chapters in the game if something like that happened, but how likely it is...

In regards to the music, if I have one idea or request... a real orchestral recording of Ride of the Valkyries! It would really nail the joke when it's used in that scene... I think it would be awesome and should be easy to make a reality.. there are probably public domain recordings of it and certainly many great recordings that could be licensed. Maybe another camera angle could add a lot to the scene as well, but I guess that's also going into the less likely territory of brand new content...

Also, driving sections (the bits where you directly control Ben on the bike) redone with real-time 3D elements could be amazing and still in the spirit of the look of the original...

Regardless, I'm excited about and all over any form of rebirth for this game.

Only the riding fighing scenes took me a really long time to figure out whom to whack with what... I don't really care about it now, it was just something that was part of the game itself. So just leave it al in with maybe re-dubbed music so it will blow the speakers and us away. And also a controller support.

After this when will the fig/kickstarter be live for the sequel?!? After I finished Psychnauts 2 probably...

If anyone should do any form of remaster of the music, it should be the gone jackals themselves.

Its a shame this remaster has come to late. What i wouldn have given for some commentary by Roy conrad. That would have been epic. He really gave life to Ben.

Its a shame that games cant have extended cuts, so like you can play the original or extended. I sure wouldn mind more content.

Im not sure what they will do with Full Throttle. Because its not like Day of the Tentacle nor is it like Grim Fandango. Its 2d pixel art, yet it has 3d driving areas and it has cutscenes. Im pretty sure they cant remaster the cutscenes. So if the characters are gonna stay pixelated in the cutscenes, they cannot do them smoothed out in the game Day of the tentacle style. Either the game has to stay pixelated to some degree or they will have to redo all the cutscenes in the game, which is about 1 hour.

I would like to see the Gone Jackals music not only return, but be remixed with the instrumental stems in the same way as the original, only in high quality. Hopefully that all still exists and DF will do it justice. It would be a shame if the original lo-fi tracks were all that was used (which is plausible since the game is not using tracks directly from the album), simple tracks pulled right from the album instead of remixed instrumental stems, or worse yet, completely new music because they can't get the licensing again. I know Tim preferred metal back in the day, but those songs are ingrained in my nostalgia and mustn't be trifled with. Especially loved the ending sequences and the use of the Jackals' music there.

It's true that there's been no mention of the GJs, but I really don't see why there should be a problem. I only bought their album because of Full Throttle -- and they'll probably sell a ton more when the Remaster comes out. Hopefully they're all on board!

It's true that there's been no mention of the GJs, but I really don't see why there should be a problem. I only bought their album because of Full Throttle -- and they'll probably sell a ton more when the Remaster comes out. Hopefully they're all on board!

I read an interview (was it on mixnmojo?) with the lead guy who seemed pretty narked that Lucasarts didn't ask them back for the sequels. Hopefully they'll be aware that Tim wasn't involved in those. I also hope there's not an issue with the original contract that means their music is not already licensed for re-masters (in the same way that new releases of tv series like Quantum Leap have to change some of the songs used because they didn't foresee VOD etc and so the licensing contracts didn't cover it).

My wishlist (as that;'s what this thread seems to have become):

grime and grit!

lots of special features about the original making of the game as well as its remastering - all the concept art, brainstorming notes, emails interviews and anything else that you can lay your hands on!

Hmm, that doesn't sound great. I hope there's no bad blood. Still, it's a long way off before they start development, so that might be why they've not been mentioned yet, too.

Hmm, that doesn't sound great. I hope there's no bad blood. Still, it's a long way off before they start development, so that might be why they've not been mentioned yet, too.

Somehow i cant picture Double Fine taking on this remaster, before having at least having some basic contact with the various parts. like GJ and such. Because they cant really afford to half ass the remaster, nor do i believe they would do that.

Say what you will about their ability to project spending cost for their games. But their remasters are top quality. Sure it would have been nice with more improvements to Grim Fandango. But that would probably have been to expensive.

Day of the tentacle looks absolutely amazing.

One thing is certain, you cant have Full Throttle without Goon Jackals and it would be problematic if it keeps the low quality music. Maybe they have original higher quality recording. I would imagine that they have that.

The reason I'm worried is because many games with licensed music (especially games with Redbook audio on the discs) had very restrictive licenses. GoG, for instance, with Bethesda rereleased the first three Quake games. Originally they had OGGs of Trent Reznor's industrial score for the Windows version. However, they were forced to remove it a day or so later because of some clause in the licensing that said they weren't allowed to redistribute the music in any other form than it was originally presented (in this case, lossy encoded files, instead of Redbook CD audio). GoG were told to either remove the OGGs or remove the game. So they removed the OGGs.

However, the DOS version of Quake (which comes with it) has an exact copy of the CD ISO image which is mounted in DOSBox and contains the original lossless audio tracks. The only way they could accomplish this was because it was technically in the same format as the original release (a perfect copy of the CD image). They couldn't even alter it to de-emphasize the tracks. And it doesn't work with the Windows version. But you can make your own OGGs out of it. The Steam version doesn't even bother coming with the soundtrack.

I've heard of other horror stories with redistributing games and not being allowed to reuse music. And it's everywhere in TV and Movie media. Outlets like Netlflix get nerfed and butchered versions of some shows (like SNL) because they don't have the rights to some of the commercial music that was licensed originally for TV and DVD. The Roxbury sketches come to mind (What is Love).

Really hope there's a way around it here...

I love Full Throttle so effing much. Its the game I always wished I had as a kid. But are some of you serious about not adding anything that could expand on gameplay at all? Its such a short game its criminal. So much from this series has been lost. Lets all have sense about this and try to understand alot of people love this game and would love to see something, anything added that was cut from either the original game or the sequel. The chances of this ever getting a real sequel are dead. But this could be the one chance to add more to the FT canon. And as for there being no one to voice Ben Im not sure what can be done about that. Maybe just the added parts could have either a silent Ben or just a very close impersonation?

I'd only change one thing: the bike action parts. It should be a bit more fleshed out and more fun.

I am personally in contact with Keith Karloff (the Gone Jackals) and he told me this:

1. After Full Throttle, LucasArts couldn't distance themselves from the band quickly enough. It is his opinion that some of the lyrical themes made the execs at LucasArts uncomfortable.

2. He is still in charge of Blue/Black records, on which label Bone To Pick was released, and it was my general understanding that he's excited about the project and would be more than happy to be involved, though he also said that at this time DoubleFine has not been in contact with him.

3. He is very keen on the idea of hearing some modern bands cover his classic tracks. This is where he and I disagree.

I hope that helps answer some questions. I had actually told him I'm interested in doing a film version of Full Throttle, since I had put together a cinematic cut of the original game (and at one time had begun a screenplay adaptation), and he said he had contacted Schafer, who had in turn called Disney about it, but, as Keith put it, "they were unreachable, as always."

I agree totally, but I felt Kieth's opinion should at least be voiced, since a forum to do so has been established.

I doubt they would, anyway.

At least it's good to know that he's willing to work with DF since he owns the rights to the masters and whatnot to provide HQ stems for the instrumental sections. I'm sure DF has enough brain to work with him on this and not use the low quality files used in the original.

So he's in touch with Schafer?

This is all very confusing. And all very tentative at the moment. Hmm. Is he ok with you sharing his thoughts on an open forum like this?

Edit: Sounds like he wants to push bands on his own label :-/

The steak in Todd's fridge could be a little more noticeable.. Like actually being able to see that something is inside the darn thing.

Sign in to follow this