Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Spaff

Memories of Psychonauts by 2 Player Productions

Only seen the first episode so far, but 2PP seem to deliver again. Big thanks to all DF employees also, who once again, and so soon after the last time, lets us invade their workplace . :)

Only seen the first episode so far, but 2PP seem to deliver again. Big thanks to all DF employees also, who once again, and so soon after the last time, lets us invade their workplace . :)

:D

Aw man I've gotta go sappy for a bit here, feel free to skip. TL;DR: awesome relatable video series that I'm very glad exists.

I'm a bit of a "process nerd" in that I love seeing other people's workflows and how things come together step-by-step. More often than not I would compare professional's processes to mine and if there are anything similar I would feel a little bit validated (this isn't exactly good, I know). And then there are times when I had to tackle things by myself, and I would just feel it out and go with my instincts even though doing something my way might not be as efficient as someone else's. A lot of times I find myself saying "I don't know what the hell I'm doing!" and most of the time it gets me down a little bit.

Having said that, all of those times have turned out to be okay. The work I've done and all of those late nights just "trying this out I guess, I don't know" all sort of slowly add up to "maybe I will know what I'm doing" somewhere in the future. Watching DF folks just giving Psychonauts their all, just throwing themselves at this big thing without really knowing what's going to happen, but still believing in it because it's something they wanted to do, and that they loved it, reminded me of those rare moments where I could tell myself "It's fine not to know what I'm doing". Time and a lot of "I don't know" might eventually turn into "I do know" I guess.

I know on these forums (and most elsewhere) I come across as this kiss-ass guy who seemingly doesn't have anything bad to say about DF, nor do I have any criticism worth my weight. Most of the time I'm just trying to learn, and I get so excited about all of this that I just leave the less-than-positive stuff behind. Maybe that's bad, I don't know. I probably should know, but I don't. Maybe I will eventually? I don't know.That's the whole point of this post I guess.

I get ya, Taekon. I remember reading Russell T Davies' book The Writer's Tale and being bowled over by how even towering geniuses with tons of experience have exactly the same insecurities, highs and lows that I recognised from my own struggles with writing. That book was one of its kind, now thanks to 2 Player Productions we have an equivalent in every way (engrossing, funny, educational, emotional) for video game production.

Cars WERE actually parked in there. Which is good because all the parking around the area was two hour parking. One of the programmer had a car that was a bit old, and every time that the car started up it would fill up the art pit with carbon monoxide. I'm pretty sure no one passed out.....

And don't forget the sewage!

I uh....would very much like to forget that.... On rainy days Olympic Deli would be nice enough to let us use their restrooms. Speaking of which they made great BLT's....and I'm pretty sure Matt Franklin once saved that place from burning down. And since we left, it burned down.....

that was me that noticed the fire :D! but matt was there, and thien, and we helped put it out.

but yes, it burned down once we moved :(

Oh! I knew you were there, but I heard of a version of the story where Matt grabbed a fire extinguisher. Then again this story might've changed in my brain as time passes. I'm pretty sure Thien had a jetpack.

Cars WERE actually parked in there. Which is good because all the parking around the area was two hour parking. One of the programmer had a car that was a bit old, and every time that the car started up it would fill up the art pit with carbon monoxide. I'm pretty sure no one passed out.....

I uh....would very much like to forget that.... On rainy days Olympic Deli would be nice enough to let us use their restrooms. Speaking of which they made great BLT's....and I'm pretty sure Matt Franklin once saved that place from burning down. And since we left, it burned down.....

that was me that noticed the fire :D! but matt was there, and thien, and we helped put it out.

Oh! I knew you were there, but I heard of a version of the story where Matt grabbed a fire extinguisher. Then again this story might've changed in my brain as time passes. I'm pretty sure Thien had a jetpack.

Ironically it was the jetpack that caused the fire.

If you also had one of those water jetpacks, and you flew them both at the same time, then they cancel each other out. 100% safe work environment achieved. Come at me, OSHA.

If you also had one of those water jetpacks, and you flew them both at the same time, then they cancel each other out. 100% safe work environment achieved. Come at me, OSHA.

tumblr_mavokfBKb81qh8rq6o1_500.gif

tumblr_mavokfBKb81qh8rq6o1_500.gif

EZACTLY.

Sign in to follow this