Sign in to follow this  
hubble_teleshop

Any chance for an all-new Double Fine Adventure?

Hi there!

Broken Age was a masterpiece and i'd really, really, REALLY like, no, WANT to see another Double Fine Adventure. Is there any chance? And don't say no :P

Edit: Wow, I didn't expect so much resonance...

The fact that people gave so generously to the Broken Age kickstarter proved that there are plenty of customers still interested in adventure games. Double Fine has already revealed a whole lot of projects they have in store (a couple more remasters, some recent exciting news about Psychonauts, and their next original game is Headlander) but maybe in a year or two they'll start thinking about making another adventure game.

Who knows? Maybe there's already one in preproduction we don't even know about yet! :D

So yeah, they do have a lot of other games they're working on in the time being, but I'd certainly say that there's a possibility they'll make another adventure game someday. My guess is that it probably won't be for a while, but it could happen.

And welcome to the Double Fine community!

I doubt anything like that will happen until Psychonauts 2 so that's at least 2018 and probably a couple of years of development. So the earliest we could see it is 2020. I suspect later.

The fact that people gave so generously to the Broken Age kickstarter proved that there are plenty of customers still interested in adventure games. Double Fine has already revealed a whole lot of projects they have in store (a couple more remasters, some recent exciting news about Psychonauts, and their next original game is Headlander) but maybe in a year or two they'll start thinking about making another adventure game.

Who knows? Maybe there's already one in preproduction we don't even know about yet! :D

So yeah, they do have a lot of other games they're working on in the time being, but I'd certainly say that there's a possibility they'll make another adventure game someday. My guess is that it probably won't be for a while, but it could happen.

And welcome to the Double Fine community!

Thank you :)

I thought of because DF built up a whole new Adventure engine around their DFA project, that took a lot of time. So it would make developing a new adventure much easier and less expensive, I guess?

If there is, you know what I would like it to contain?

Revenge!

There's nothing I like better than seeing the bad guy get their comeuppance. And then some, just for fun.

I'm not really a vengeful person. Sure, I fantasise about getting a job at the rest home of a couple of my teachers and then treating them just the same as they treated little kids...but then I would be as bad as they were!

But the fantasies are nice. All dripping with schadenfreude! That was really the thing I found most disappointing about Broken Age. It didn't end with the evil breadstick hat lady tripping and impaling herself on a sharpened bakery item!

Revenge and schadenfreude FTW!!!

There's a reason this is one of my favourite movies

rthHSISkM7A

...I think we have enough media where the triumph of heroes means the villains getting horrible fates, and I think it's nice that the ending of Broken Age went a different route.

...I think we have enough media where the triumph of heroes means the villains getting horrible fates, and I think it's nice that the ending of Broken Age went a different route.

I agree.

I agree.

REally? I see a lot of bad guy dying, but that's pretty unimaginative.

I guess that woman really resonated with me, reminding me of evil people from my own life. To see her forgiven and embraced as a member of the community...after manipulating people to let their own daughters be kidnapped, and having the belief that they had been killed, I mean that's pretty darn evil. I didn't find that fun.

I guess I need to be a more forgiving person X(

If she'd picked up a piece of food at the after-party and then been swooped up by Jessie and whisked away to the cloud colony...something like that would have been fun! The villagers would have been nice to her, but karma decided she needed some fun time with Harm'ny to teach her a lesson! Yeah!

It would be cool, if they would do an old school one. smaller budget / smaller team. Althought its still quite expensive. But i would love some point n click adventure games like Ron Gilbert is making with Thimbleweed park or the games that Wadjet eye games makes. Pixel art can be so BEAUTIFUL when done right and combined with modern technology.

Or even adventure games dont in the style of Day of the tentacle. Would be awesome with a third brand new maniac mansion game or even a remaster of the first.

But yeah and all new original game ip and characters would be cool. Obviously it adds time and cost having to come up with that. As they said themselves, Psychonauts 2 is easier, because they have the basics and framework in place.

I've been all for a third Maniac Mansion ever since I played the first two. Don't know how likely it is (probably not very!) but I'm hoping if it ever does happen then it will come from Double Fine.

At least with Grim and two more remasters on the way, they're introducing some of the LucasArts classics to the next generation, and they're all great games too so hopefully they're making a good first impression on customers perhaps less familiar with the adventure game genre.

The discussion about whether or not revenge is a good topic interested me, and reminded me of the ending for Harvey's New Eyes (slight spoilers ahead - obviously); while the rest of the game plays out where there is a single solution to each puzzle and you don't really make decisions when it comes to the story, you do get 3 different ending options. One is to turn yourself in, another is to murder the antagonist, or you can overcome your shyness and yell at all the people that have hurt you (my own favourite). I liked that it gives a variety of players a chance to pick the solution that's most satisfying to them personally, although I must admit that the endings are all pretty anticlimactic (maybe trying to do 3 different end cutscenes would've been too much hassle).

But yeah, it is cool that Ron and Gary are doing Thimbleweed Park. I like how they're trying to make it as aesthetically similar to a very early adventure game as possible. Looking forward to that one. :)

I also agree with hubble_teleshop that it's a good idea to get some more use out of the engine they would've built for Broken Age, and like RMJ said it's nice to see something fresh and original, despite it meaning more work in preproduction/designing everything from scratch.

Part of what I love about Adventure Games as a genre is their ability to create new and vibrant worlds. I hope if they make another one, they continue down the path they started in Broken Age. They've learned a lot of lessons over the course of that design about both the engine and puzzle design, I'd like to see those applied to something completely fresh after Psychonauts 2.

Did Dear Leader use the Broken Age engine? I'd like that. :D

Smiles

Dear Leader used MOAI, just as Hack'n'Slash, Spacebase DF-9 and, I believe (but I'm not certain on this), Middle Manager of Justice. All the 2D Amnesia Fortnight 2012 and 2014 games were made in that engine, just as all the 3D games from AF2012 and AF2014 were made in the Buddha (Brütal Legend) engine.

MOAI is a general engine, not specifically the Broken Age engine. Examples of other successful games made on the engine include Invisible Inc. and Crimson: Steam Pirates by other developers. Though having not looked at the code or fiddled around with it, I have no idea how much the Double Fine games have built on top of the base engine, nor how much of their work has been incorporated into the engine for general use.