Sign in to follow this  
CrashFu

What about Rhombus of Ruin?

I might just be overlooking something, but is there no subforum for discussing Psychonauts: Rhombus of Ruin? If not (or until one does get made) is it appropriate to talk about it here in the Psychonauts 2 sub-forum?

Despite not owning a PS4 and no current plans to invest in one, when they said the words "Psychonauts VR game" I wept with joy. And then when they said "for the PS4" I whined in envy. Is there any chance there will be a PC port for Oculus Rift / Vive users at some point, or is this strictly planned as a PS4 exclusive? (The fact that Sony is funding it would lead me to believe the latter, but a guy can hope, right?)

I think this is very important, especially because they decided to tell a juicy part of the whole Psychonauts lore in this spin-off. IMO the game should be available on all the platforms Psychonaus 2 will be on. Too bad Sony is paying for this, so I don't think this will happen. I know it's not part of the campaign per se, but it still sounds wrong to me.

I'm pretty sure it will come to PC some day... After the exclusivity deal for the game with Sony ends.

I agree. You always say that characters and story are one of the most important thing in your games. So it feels only natural to not have that part neglected for Psychonauts 2 owners that don't own a PS4. People that don't own a PS4 (and a VR set) won't buy it only for this game but you are making them back the sequel while taking away part of the story. What would fill that gap?

Otherwise the only expedient I could think of would be a comic like recap included in the game. Or simply leave out lore from the spin-off.

I was thinking. PS4 doesn't have the first Psychonauts, right (correct me if I am wrong)? Then on PS4 you would have a sequel and something that link that sequel with a prequel they could have not played. Wouldn't be more useful to have that VR game tell the story of the first game instead? Or are you planning on porting the first game on PS4 too?

I think we just need to wait for more and better information from DF. Some of DF's latest games have been advertised by Sony as being for PS4 and/or Vita (Broken Age), with no mention of other platforms, likely because it's Sony. On the other hand, Rhombus of Ruin appears to be publisher-backed, so it's possible it's platform limited.

I'm hoping DF had some pull in the deal for supporting other VR platforms and not just PSVR. I'm confident they know PC players are a big part of their market, and to omit them from a Psychonauts game (Of all games) would be awful.

It's unfortunate that I won't be able to play Rhombus of Ruin, but I'm not terribly troubled or offended that it's being made.

I think anyone who is deeply troubled/upset about RoR is assuming that there will be some kind of continuity problem. But when you're writing a story in installments, it IS possible to have installments in there that are sort of like fun asides but that are not crucial to the overall continuity.

For example, Patrick Rothfuss wrote "The Slow Regard of Silent Things" and "The Ligntning Tree" between books 2 and 3 of his popular trilogy. It's about the same world and characters, but it's more like an aside or a book 2.5 than a disruption of the continuity. You could skip reading both stories and it wouldn't affect your knowledge or negatively impact the continuity going into the official book 3.

I'm sure RoR will be good fun, and I hate to miss it, but I don't feel that DF is denying me anything by making it. =]

With any luck, someone will make a Let's Play of it. I'd much rather play it for myself, but I don't have access to VR equipment or a ps4, so LP will have to do.

While I'm a bit disappointed that those without VR will have to wait to play through resolving the first game's cliffhanger, it's not a deal breaker.

It sounds like they're still working on finalizing things regarding how controls will work in conjunction with the VR, so it's hard to say how heavily the game will be built around it or when they'll be able to deliver more news. Regardless, I hope that it will be more accessible later on. We've got a while to wait before Psychonauts 2 either way. Maybe it'll be ported elsewhere by then.

Yeah, like AAIA said, I don't think we'll miss out on any crucial plot that is specifically relevant to Psychonauts 2. At the end of 1 Raz was made an official member of the Psychonauts, right? So RoR will be his first official mission, and then Psychonauts 2 will just be some other unrelated task. Maybe they'll throw some dialogue / easter egg references to RoR but other than that I'm sure it won't lessen the experience any by missing it...

I just really want to play RoR itself, because VR Psychonauts sounds awesome and I don't like to miss out on any Double Fine games. ;) Barring any word from someone at Sony or Double Fine, I guess we'll just have to sit back and see if Sony themselves are interested in a PC release? I think they've been doing more of those in general these days...

On the other hand it wouldn't surprise me if they want to hold on to some VR exclusives, at least for a couple years after any given game launches. They may have "30 million PS4 owners" who can buy a Morpheus instead of spending a thousand bucks to build a Rift-ready PC, but the Oculus and the Vive have a big advantage in the way of third-party companies and modding communities adding unofficial VR support to games whose developers aren't planning official support.

At least, I don't think the PS4 has the capacity for that sort of modding / third party stuff? tbh I don't know much about the console.