Sign in to follow this  
Diduz76

Translation question (I'm getting mixed messages)

I thought that EFIGS translations would be included in the project right from the start, judging from this:

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/psychonauts-2#game-info

At the same time, the FAQ says:

We’re committed to doing full VO and subtitle support in English at our goal. Should we surpass that goal, adding new subtitle languages will be one of the first things we’d like to do. It costs a lot for translating and testing new languages in games that have as much text as ours so, so we want to make sure we’ve got the budget to cover it!

So... are localizations part of the stretch goals? I guess so, but the Game Info page is a bit misleading.

I understood it like EFIGS is what you get "for free" if the game is funded, but additional translations won't be done unless there is exess money left after everything else.

I understood it like EFIGS is what you get "for free" if the game is funded

That's what I infer from the "Game Info" page, but it's not what I understand from the FAQ, which just mentions English. ;-)

I understood it like EFIGS is what you get "for free" if the game is funded

That's what I infer from the "Game Info" page, but it's not what I understand from the FAQ, which just mentions English. ;-)

Yeah, it's probably just a misunderstanding or miscommunication, but they do seem inconsistent.

Both game info and FAQ indicate that English VO/subtitles/interface will be the language used AT GOAL.

The FAQ makes it sound like subtitles/interface in FIG may only happen if more money than the initial goal comes in. Meanwhile the Game Info has all of the languages checked for "subtitles", which implies they will be available at goal.

FIG is not communicating clearly about FIG. ;-) :P

So subtitles of other languages will only be available as stretch goals? 'Cause I was thinking that if X language subtitles will be available in the game at goal, the campaign info should be in language X too.

PS. I'm an English-Spanish translator.

So subtitles of other languages will only be available as stretch goals? 'Cause I was thinking that if X language subtitles will be available in the game at goal, the campaign info should be in language X too.

PS. I'm an English-Spanish translator.

Reading all the info given to us on Fig.co I think EFIGS subtitles will come with the $3.3M, but speech and additional subtitles require more money.

I just got a message back from DF Justin after I alerted this thread to the mods:

Quote: "We read all the threads and will answer them when and if we are able."

I tried alerting DF about this question and I just got a message back from DF Justin saying that DF are unable to answer it. Very odd.

It's not particularly reassuring if the people asking for money don't know informations on the game they are going to develop and cannot provide them to the people they are asking the money from.

I tried alerting DF about this question and I just got a message back from DF Justin saying that DF are unable to answer it. Very odd.

Submit it as a question to the stream later today.

*edit*

I submitted it to the thread. Perhaps they'll address it.

I've clarified exactly what Justin said to me (above) to be extra clear and not put words in his mouth. It's very strange that there's still no answer to this question, especially as the campaign is still contradicting itself.

I've clarified exactly what Justin said to me (above) to be extra clear and not put words in his mouth. It's very strange that there's still no answer to this question, especially as the campaign is still contradicting itself.

Thank you for clarifying. Your message before made it sound like he essentially said they could not answer the question or did not have an answer. The actual quote suggests there is probably an answer to the question (and many other questions) and it will be answered in a time/manner of DF's choosing---probably in a more official/public manner.

Perhaps not satisfying to those who want an answer right this minute, but much better than them saying they don't have an answer.

I guess it depends how you read it.

Edit: I probably mistook the intention -- although it certainly reads differently to me.

I guess it depends how you read it. I took it as: "We read all the threads. We will answer them when and if we are able." Which felt like an official boilerplate for "We are unable to answer this right now."

I work at a job where I also receive hundreds of emails a day asking questions, and many of them are the same question over and over again, or else they are very nearly the same question or follow a similar theme. It would be a lot of work, a lot of repetition, and a very inefficient use of time to reply to all of those questions individually. So what we usually do is just track all of the questions that are being asked and how frequently, then we will address them all at once in a single communication to everyone. It is a lot simpler and more efficient that way. However, you may still need to reply to each email, so what we usually do is just have a template email or some cut-and-paste text that basically says, "we've received your question and will answer it soon, please be patient, etc".

I imagine something similar is probably going on here.

It's probably something like that. Actually I have the feeling he meant "We read and reply to threads when we have the time and are able to". Probably bad wording on his part.

It's still very strange not to have an answer to this question though, as I would imagine it's selling point for many people, and therefore would be high priority.

*shrugs*

Well if it is a good question and the answer is something people who are interested in the campaign/game will want to know, then it is also better to answer in an official public communication than in the thread itself.

And also if you started answering a lot of questions on the forum whenever one was asked, then people would wonder why you answered his/her thread and not my thread or why you used to answer questions and then stopped answering questions all of a sudden and etc etc. It is better to not establish in your community an expectation that you cannot meet (i.e. responding to individual questions in the forum all the time). It is better to keep the answers to certain types of questions all in one place or one communication.

You have your community person, like Senor Spaff, but with certain questions he will probably only answer them on the forum once official communication has gone out (i.e. that answer/information is approved for sharing).

It is a really difficult thing, because what you really want is to be able to reply to each person individually and give them a satisfying answer and make them feel like they are speaking to an actual person. But you also have to be very careful that your information/communication is accurate and consistent and heard. So there are certain contending factors and that's just how it has to be done a lot of the time.

I agree. This kind of topic should be addressed officially on the campaign page being that an information of interest for those who have backed the campaign (or are willing to). Unfortunately on that regards the campaign feels kind of neglected.

Yes, I completely agree as well. They don't seem to be answering it anywhere, though. It can't be deliberate, as it's contradictory. Getting people's attention seems hard, but Justin seemed to be saying "we're watching". I guess the other answer is that they don't consider it the be high priority. Maybe it isn't :-/

Yes, I completely agree as well. They don't seem to be answering it anywhere, though. It can't be deliberate, as it's contradictory. Getting people's attention seems hard, but Justin seemed to be saying "we're watching". I guess the other answer is that they don't consider it the be high priority. Maybe it isn't :-/

The important thing to remember is that we don't know. Maybe someone like Spaff or Justin sees the question, but it's not the kind of question they can answer, so they have to forward to someone else like Tim, but Tim's on an airplane somewhere and getting to the email that says "100 questions backers have asked on the forum" is something he hasn't gotten around to yet, but he is planning to answer all of them in a later communication, like the stream later today or something.

It's really hard to know. I'd say at least wait and see if they say anything about it in the stream.

Sounds like there's legal mumbo-jumbo etc. due to third-parties. Alternatively they will probably announce it later in the campaign at a time strategically chosen to gain the most attention.

Just guesses, I have no inside knowledge or anything.

Hi Hi Hi sorry, we took a brief moment away from the campaign to have a christmas party, and then i spent some time traveling back to England!

We will support all the languages the info page says we will, there was a time where that wasn't the case hence the conflicting information, which i will now fix!

Hi Hi Hi sorry, we took a brief moment away from the campaign to have a christmas party, and then i spent some time traveling back to England!

We will support all the languages the info page says we will, there was a time where that wasn't the case hence the conflicting information, which i will now fix!

*confetti*

:lol:

Great! :-)

Thanks!

I know you're busy, but you haven't actually fixed this yet, btw ;)

t0WYkJX.png