EMarley

Psychonauts 2 in the media

120 posts in this topic

*puts on sunglasses and fake mustache made out of cat hair*

Hello, Double Fine! My name is Level Desi... er... Lev L. Desinson. And it just so happens that I am able to perform that job that you are looking for. I have all the experiences and qualifications. I have designed many great and classic levels, such as level one and level two. I even designed level five, which was so good that Japan named a company after me. Anyway, you probably want to hire me and let me into your office completely unsupervised. I am absolutely an applicant and not a man in a cat hair mustache trying to steal the 2HB blanket.

Hello, Double Fine! My name is Level Desi... er... Lev L. Desinson. And it just so happens that I am able to perform that job that you are looking for. I have all the experiences and qualifications. I have designed many great and classic levels, such as level one and level two. I even designed level five, which was so good that Japan named a company after me. Anyway, you probably want to hire me and let me into your office completely unsupervised. I am absolutely an applicant and not a man in a cat hair mustache trying to steal the 2HB blanket.

But can you design the required 'lava' and 'ice' levels? That would truly make you stand out from the crowd.

But can you design the required 'lava' and 'ice' levels? That would truly make you stand out from the crowd.

Not only can I make a lava level, but I also invented the game "the floor is lava"! It's true! That was all me. I am very clever.

Not only can I make a lava level, but I also invented the game "the floor is lava"! It's true! That was all me. I am very clever.

Will there be fire breathing dinosauruses with coctail bars on their back?

Sure! There might even be a flame mammoth! Just a bunch of totally original ideas by yours truly!

Sure! There might even be a flame mammoth! Just a bunch of totally original ideas by yours truly!

This could be the next best thing after Cave Johnson's ideas! Got any ideas for tiny planet made out of bread in space?

This could be the next best thing after Cave Johnson's ideas! Got any ideas for tiny planet made out of bread in space?

Not just any bread!

MONKEY BREAD.

First off, my apologies to anyone with slow internet connection browsing this thread. All the video links have now been turned into embeds! :o

Conference about RoR by project lead Chad on September 7th in San Francisco:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/278920/Attend_VRDC_and_see_how_Double_Fine_reinvented_Psychonauts_for_VR.php

Studio tour of Double Fine, includes interview with PitRoR programmer, concept artist and character designer, and shows concept art and a rig for a character that hadn't been shown before now, so, spoiler warning???

Edited by EMarley

1 hour ago, EMarley said:

First off, my apologies to anyone with slow internet connection browsing this thread. All the video links have now been turned into embeds! :o

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/278920/Attend_VRDC_and_see_how_Double_Fine_reinvented_Psychonauts_for_VR.php

Studio tour of Double Fine, includes interview with PitRoR programmer, concept artist and character designer, and shows concept art and a rig for a character that hadn't been shown before now, so, spoiler warning???

Always nice to get a glimpse into the inner workings of Double Fine. Despite all the hardships of game design they do a solid job of making it look like a genuinely fun environment.

Pretty hyped about that spoiler as well.

Spoiler

Always hoped that Loboto would receive a more climactic confrontation after his quick sendoff in the first game.

On 8/11/2016 at 6:07 PM, EMarley said:

Thanks for showing this! I missed it before. 

I'm a million years late on this, but thank you everyone for compiling all this excellent info. I'm late on my Psychonauts 2 info. 

Edited by BigMchugelarge

12 hours ago, BigMchugelarge said:

I'm a million years late on this, but thank you everyone for compiling all this excellent info. I'm late on my Psychonauts 2 info. 

You're welcome! Although ever since the forum update this thread has become a lot more chaotic because all the videos links have turned into video embeds. This post here is a much neater round-up of everything so far.

On 9/3/2016 at 1:35 AM, EMarley said:

You're welcome! Although ever since the forum update this thread has become a lot more chaotic because all the videos links have turned into video embeds. This post here is a much neater round-up of everything so far.

If you substitute the plain video URLs with links using the link function of the editor, that will prevent them from getting embedded. As an example, here's the announcement video from your first post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcVz5uwqTvA

6 hours ago, flesk said:

If you substitute the plain video URLs with links using the link function of the editor, that will prevent them from getting embedded. As an example, here's the announcement video from your first post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcVz5uwqTvA

Actually, pretty much all of them were links like these rather than plain URLs. But I suppose what I can do is copy and replace from the tumblr post. Is there still a post length character limit?

They probably lost that text during the forum migration, and instead converted all YouTube URLs to embedded videos. :/ If you want, I can help fix them. 

It's OK, I fixed it! Turns out with the forum update I'm not running up against a character limit anymore, so I was able to put the full masterlist on the first post of this thread:

Edited by EMarley

A french review of PitRoR at PSX16, if I understood right he says that the game is expected to be 3-5 hours long, which I think is the first time I've heard that info.

VRDC video: Chad Dawson's talk "Reinventing 'Psychonauts' for VR.

Starbreeze is publishing partner for Psychonauts 2, includes statements from Starbreeze and Double Fine.

Fig project update #3: Into the Woods.

Awesome new trailer for PitRoR

Playstation podcast audio interview with Tim Schafer and Chad Dawson.

Endgadget interview: Psychonauts in VR is a story Tim Schafer never planned to tell.

Endgadget video preview and interview.

Previews/reviews (slight spoilers for plot points and puzzles):

Pre-order The Rhombus of Ruin ($20) and get Psychonauts for free.

More links:

Peter McConnell interview about his work in PitRoR

Playstation Blog interview with Tim about PitRoR

TWiT Newcast Network video interview with Chad

Community Q & A with Chad answering our questions

Wareable PitRoR interview.

Gamespot interview with Tim and Chad: On creating positivity and empathy with VR (and their games in general)

Eric Wolpaw (who is working on Pschonauts 2) leaves Valve.

I hope that Eric Wolpaw will still contribute to Psychonauts 2. 

Posted (edited)

Starbreeze  Starstream with Tim about Psychonauts 2.

Tim does a short intro to Psychonauts 2 at 1:35:14:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/141540011?t=95m14s

And about 5 min later, a roundtable of veterans of the industry including Tim:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/141540011?t=113m3s

EDIT: Hey, new costume for Raz in the first one! I like it :)Clip of the new engine footage.

Edited by EMarley

On 5/10/2017 at 11:47 AM, EMarley said:

Starbreeze  Starstream with Tim about Psychonauts 2.

Tim does a short intro to Psychonauts 2 at 1:35:14:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/141540011?t=95m14s

And about 5 min later, a roundtable of veterans of the industry including Tim:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/141540011?t=113m3s

EDIT: Hey, new costume for Raz in the first one! I like it :)Clip of the new engine footage.

Thanks for this!  You're always so on top of the latest Psychonauts news! ^_^

On 15/5/2017 at 5:44 AM, Nasubionna said:

Thanks for this!  You're always so on top of the latest Psychonauts news! ^_^

Makes a pleasant change from looking up news about politics!

Article that quotes the Starstream panel: Tim Shafer: Important for sequels to tell a whole new story (15/05/17)

Article/interview about Tim's career: Yes, Videogames are serious art. This guy's career proves it (11/05/17)

A few articles from Tim's visit to Game and Geek Rio festival in Brazil last month (April 21st). They're in Portuguese, but obviously Tim's replies in the videos are in English, and for everything else there's Google Translate:

8 Curious Facts about him/ his work

Exclusive IGN Brazil video interview about Brazil, game design, and VR

IGN Brazil video interview: Three truths, one lie

Edited by EMarley