Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KestrelPi

Backer Social Media Goals - ALL STANDING ORDERS COMPLETE!

I thought it might be better than the original thread if there was an easy place on the forums to look up all the tasks and follow links to the current things to do, so that's what this is:

missions.png

ranks.png

Standing Orders:

Fig Backers 100% COMPLETE!

Campaign Total 100% COMPLETE!

Twitter Followers 100% COMPLETE!

Facebook Page Likes 100% COMPLETE!

Youtube Subscribers 100% COMPLETE!

Total Devs Play S2 views (across all episodes) 100% COMPLETE!

Psi Cadet Missions

Mission 1: Complete!

Mission 2: Complete!

Mission 3: Not complete! But passed due to mitigating circumstances!

Mission 4: Complete!

Mission 5: Hammer on those Standing Orders!

Perhaps one lesson from this campaign is that it's pretty easy to get people to click a button but pretty hard to get people to make something

Part of it might be that clicking a button is a reasonably non-attention drawing activity. But my social media accounts are places where I don't really get involved with marketing campaigns and it'd probably turn off a lot of my followers if I started to do that now, so I'd rather not do that stuff.

Also, I'd be absolutely astonished if I found any black velvet paintings near me. It would be only slightly more surprising than finding a milkman

Perhaps one lesson from this campaign is that it's pretty easy to get people to click a button but pretty hard to get people to make something

Part of it might be that clicking a button is a reasonably non-attention drawing activity. But my social media accounts are places where I don't really get involved with marketing campaigns and it'd probably turn off a lot of my followers if I started to do that now, so I'd rather not do that stuff.

Also, I'd be absolutely astonished if I found any black velvet paintings near me. It would be only slightly more surprising than finding a milkman

This is sort of how I feel about it. I don't want to make Double Fine feel bad by explaining it this way, because I am one of the biggest DF fans of all, but asking people to make videos of themselves with foil on their head etc gives me this odd feeling of "Dance, monkey! Dance for our amusement if you'd like a treat!" And that just sounds... humiliating, I guess? Even though I know it's meant well? I mean, even if the video is something totally fun and would be the sort of thing I might do on my own to be funny if the thought occurred to me, there is something about being asked to do it for marketing purposes that feels sorta degrading somehow?

The fan art one is pretty okay, since people don't have to put themselves in a photo/video in any way, and they have full control over whatever they decide to do or even the medium they decide to do it in.

I wonder what the turn out would be like if DF hadn't given such specific orders and instead just said "Post some Psychonauts related vines" and waited to see what would happen. Then people could decide whether they wanted to put themselves in that video or not, and if so, they could decide on a self-humiliation that suits their own humor and comfort level instead of needing to accept one that was assigned to them.

I think the lesson here is maybe---like any mutually respectful relationship---to let the person love you, but don't try to dictate how they must love you. Create a space where they can express their love because they want to and in a way that they want to. Don't create a space where they are doing a particular thing just to meet your expectations... If that makes sense.

But it could also be a little bit that I'm just getting old and lazy and would rather drink and waggle my cane at people than wear a party hat. Bear in mind also that I am a chronic introvert who is allergic to extroverted behavior, and that may have something to do with my feelings as well.

Hey, I don't mean to disparage anyone who feels like taking a picture or video of themselves for the campaign - go for it! I want the rewards, after all.

But I have never taken part in that sort of thing, it's just not 'me' and I think that it does feel a bit forced when it's something that you've been specifically asked to do rather than something more from the heart.

Same for me. Not trying to talk anyone else out of doing it or saying they shouldn't or should feel bad if they do.

Just saying why it feels weird for me personally. =]

But I still <3 DF

I don't feel any sense of "Dance monkey dance", but I also teach, and a video of me waving bacon next to my ears on social media is probably not the greatest idea.

Maybe the solution to this is to ask people to provide video or images demonstrating their love of Psychonauts but not making it something so specific. As is, it feels a little bit like a task rather than something organic.

One way to possibly get more people to do it is if some DF people actually post some photos and videos of them doing the challenge to kind of jump start the process. I think seeing someone else do the photos will make other more likely to do them but that's just a thought. I'm not sure if it would actually work.

One way to possibly get more people to do it is if some DF people actually post some photos and videos of them doing the challenge to kind of jump start the process. I think seeing someone else do the photos will make other more likely to do them but that's just a thought. I'm not sure if it would actually work.

Nah, I don't think that would work for me either. If McDonald's promised me free french fries if I posted a picture of myself dressed up as a french fry on social media, I wouldn't do it, even if someone who worked at mcdonald's posted a picture of themselves doing it. (For one, they are getting paid to do that.) The problem is not that I'm shy.

But maybe other people who are a bit more outgoing and enthusiastic about "being on stage" will be more into it.

Maybe the solution to this is to ask people to provide video or images demonstrating their love of Psychonauts but not making it something so specific.

That's what the "Psychonauts love confessions" mission is meant to be.

While the specific tasks don't resonate with me personally (and 3D platformers aren't really my thing, so I feel like a bit of an outsider for the campaign as a whole even though I've pledged a little), I think those of us who've been around for a while can appreciate that in addition to propagating the campaign, there's a desire to celebrate the community's enthusiasm.

The numbers for the "special missions" seem to reflect an understanding that only a few people will want to participate in those aspects. It's the PSI Cadet missions that are likely to explore/bring together more general fan works/activities (I was invited to help brainstorm backer activities early on).

Kinda surprised they didn't include fanart among some of the special missions. I woulda been allllll over that.

It feels less awkward yet more personal than a photo or video of yourself. Plenty of people are already doing it. Opening up the Psychonauts love confessions to include written responses would be good, too.

I might just do the that one though. I really do owe alot to that game, but I have some questions. Would DF accept videos where most of you isn't in the frame, or pitched down/up your voice? Could I just do this through a Zoobe video?? Actually, does it even matter? I'd probably be okay sending an unfiltered video of ~*~*~** the real me ** ~*~*~ if it was just DF seeing these, and I had some guarantee they weren't planning on making them public in the future, or I could submit but opt out in case they plan on doing something like that.

They have been retweeting fan art on Twitter (like this and this from today), so I'm sure they'd appreciate that, even if it doesn't fulfill a specific social media goal.

and 3D platformers aren't really my thing.

SON I AM DISAPPOINT

I was tempted to post this, but I thought better of it. One is entitled to their own taste I suppose, even though everyone knows 3D platformers are great. ;)

They have been retweeting fan art on Twitter (like this and this from today), so I'm sure they'd appreciate that, even if it doesn't fulfill a specific social media goal.

and 3D platformers aren't really my thing.

SON I AM DISAPPOINT

I was tempted to post this, but I thought better of it. One is entitled to their own taste I suppose, even though everyone knows 3D platformers are great. ;)

Haha, has that Raz meme been posted before? I love it.

Yeah, those selfie challenges are not for me (especially since about 3 of their subjects can't be found in my country), but I've made some icons as alternatives to the ones on Fig.

Edit: oh, so you can't display images side by side? Ok, better link you to a post then.

Hey, I don't mean to disparage anyone who feels like taking a picture or video of themselves for the campaign - go for it! I want the rewards, after all.

But I have never taken part in that sort of thing, it's just not 'me' and I think that it does feel a bit forced when it's something that you've been specifically asked to do rather than something more from the heart.

I agree with you completely and understand. There's dozens of reasons why people may not want to do the extra missions. If anyone wants to post support we should all just take a little liberty with the "Love Confessions" mission like Abroxus said:

Maybe the solution to this is to ask people to provide video or images demonstrating their love of Psychonauts but not making it something so specific. As is, it feels a little bit like a task rather than something organic.

I like the icons you made EMarley! Especially the green Raz one on the orange background.

I like the icons you made EMarley! Especially the green Raz one on the orange background.

Thank you! That one's a quick edit of a wallpaper I've been working on.

Updated with the latest progress.

I think the next mission is going to be hard to achieve. I suspect most backers interested in these goals already got it, so it will rely on persuading other people do to it. If we take the fig.co stat that a little over 400k people own the game on Steam, shifting this achievement by 3% would involve getting over 12k more people to play the first level of the game this week. I'm not sure whether that is realistic.

The other goals are going quite slowly, particularly hard to pick up new Facebook likes, but we're more than halfway to the first Devs play goal, so I think we'll hit a next reward tier soon from:

1) Hitting 3 Million

2) Devs Play first goal.

I think the next mission is going to be hard to achieve. I suspect most backers interested in these goals already got it, so it will rely on persuading other people do to it. If we take the fig.co stat that a little over 400k people own the game on Steam, shifting this achievement by 3% would involve getting over 12k more people to play the first level of the game this week. I'm not sure whether that is realistic.

Personally, I don't think it's realistic, and it's likely just going to be a roadblock. I can only see it getting worse if a bunch of people who don't already own it see the hubbub about the sequel, go buy the first game, and then not play it because they have a ton of other games they're busy [not] playing.

It looks like they've clocked onto the problem and will be adding the achievement total to:

Christmas Shopping - Buy something from the Whispering Rock camp store on Christmas Day.

This is currently at 2.2 and we'll need about another 0.9 % on top of that.

That means if we can convince a little under 4k psychonauts fans to buy something from the Whispering rock store in game on Christmas day, we'll make the goal that way.

I should be able to do that, but I still think this is going to be a tough one to crack!

It seems unlikely that the goal will be hit this week even with the addition of the extra goal which only added about 0.2%. The steam problems on Christmas day may be partially to blame but I think the goal just never added up, mathematically. Remember to run the numbers next time!

Bit of a status update:

Now that 3 million has been hit, the next easiest goals to focus on are:

Devs Play views - These are reliably getting between 10 and 30k views each, and we're at about 64k views now, so I think well hit the next rank naturally as a result of the next episodes getting released.

Twitter Followers - Steadily Climbing with fewer than 1k left, this should also hit naturally.

Fig backers - currently about 2k left, this I think will also hit before the end of funding.

With the 3 million that just hit, that's enough to get us the next 2 rewards, but still leaves the James Willems goal out of reach. That means that if people want that, then his supporters will need to kick it up a notch for the last two weeks of the campaign. He has a big pool of followers to draw on, and they could help make it happen.

I see the graphics have been updated and the new Concept Art albums are up, the Fig update should be coming soon.

Now that we're getting into the final couple of weeks of the campaign, let's talk realistic goals.

Very Unlikely:

We're unlikely to hit 4 million unless the end of funding bump is unusually huge.

Same for 25k backers, but I think we'll hit 20k.

Facebook subscribers are increasing really slowly, so I think the final two ranks are way out of range but the next one could just about happen if there's a push before the end.

I also think the final rank of Twitter followers and, youtube subscribers and the last two ranks of Devs play views are very unlikely given the pace of those so far.

Total: 8

Difficult:

I think 110k twitter followers is achievable but tricky.

Same for 40k facebook page likes

Same for 55k Youtube Subscribers

If there should be a push for any 3 categories, I think those should be the focus.

Total: 3

Likely

We're already nearly at the next twitter rank.

We're likely to hit 20k backers

We're likely to hit the next rank of YouTube subscribers

I think we'll also rank up once more for Devs Play views at this rate.

Total: 4

So I think we can realistically hit the next 2 rewards and anything else will be much harder.

The one thing that I think could generate enough to get one more reward would be a big push from James Willem's subscribers, because by that point his would be the next reward, and hopefully he'll encourage them more to do all the necessary, easy and free things. If I'm right, with an extra push, we'd only need to get 2 of the 'very unlikely' goals in order to get another tier.

Sign in to follow this