Sign in to follow this  
Anemone

Other Psychonauts/Inception Games

We have threads looking at other 3D platformers, but what about games that have other things in common with Psychonauts? I recently started trying this first person adventure game called Master Reboot

master-reboot.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/251850/

It's a different kind of gameplay experience from Psychonauts, but there are similarities. There is a hubworld connected to a bunch of different memories arranged in a big circle around you, just like Psychonauts has the collective unconscious with all the brain doors arranged around.

The gameplay is to enter a specific memory, which is sort of like entering a brain in Psychonauts in that the memory isn't a "real" memory but is instead a sort of surreal dream in the mind of the memory-holder that is loosely based on actual experiences. You have to navigate this surreal dream world of theirs and search for little bits of actual cold, hard memories to help you piece together what the person's deal is (kind of like finding mental vaults in psychonauts). And of course, while you are exploring the surreal dream of this particular memory, you have to solve various little adventure gamey puzzles.

Are there any other games that follow this sort of theme?

(inb4 assassin's creed)

The company that made Master Reboot is making a new game (at least for the Wii U) that feels a lot like MR, although the don't remeber the name off hand.

Definitely check out The Dream Machine. An awesome adventure game where you get to enter and explore your neighbours minds.

Nevermind is a game that supposedly lets you enter the minds of trauma victims and experience their fears first hand (haven't played it myself yet).

Hi,

I just realized To The Moon fits this category. In it, you play as scientists who enter a dying man's mind to implant a memory as a final request, learning more about the man and his life and relationships as you progress through his memories. It's not a platformer, more of an interactive story in an RPG style, but a beautiful story at that.

Hi,

I just realized To The Moon fits this category. In it, you play as scientists who enter a dying man's mind to implant a memory as a final request, learning more about the man and his life and relationships as you progress through his memories. It's not a platformer, more of an interactive story in an RPG style, but a beautiful story at that.

The sequel Finding Paradise is out soon as well.

A few of the Silent Hill games could fit that category, where the horror elements reflect certain psychological traits of the characters throughout the story.

Silent Hill 4 essentially has you trying to escape a locked apartment through the traumatic memories of a serial killer.

And Shattered Memories works in a way that changes the world and its characters to reflect certain questions that you have to make during a therapist's psychological evaluation of you.

Silent-Hill-Shattered-Memories-747x309.jpg

A few of the Silent Hill games could fit that category, where the horror elements reflect certain psychological traits of the characters throughout the story.

Silent Hill 4 essentially has you trying to escape a locked apartment through the traumatic memories of a serial killer.

And Shattered Memories works in a way that changes the world and its characters to reflect certain questions that you have to make during a therapist's psychological evaluation of you.[/img]

Shattered Memories is one of my favourite games of all time. One of the best adventure games with a horror theme. I highly recommend checking it out if you have a Wii or a PS2.

Shattered Memories is one of my favourite games of all time. One of the best adventure games with a horror theme. I highly recommend checking it out if you have a Wii or a PS2.

Seconded. Some people give it flak for how different it is from the rest of the series, but I thought it was a great psychological thriller. Solid atmosphere, good story pacing, fun details hidden throughout, etc.

Definitely deserves more recognition.