Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
segameister

Brutal Legend 2 soundtrack ideas...

This thought popped into my head last week. With the xbox 360 version we could save music tracks to the hard drive and then play them while playing any game. I haven't checked to see if this works on the xbox one yet.

WHAT IF... instead of trying to build a large soundtrack for the game (expensive), build a smaller one with important songs and specific moments in the game, plus a few others. Have the Duece's tape deck play songs saved to the xbox one hard drive as well. Surely with today's tech that shouldn't be too difficult.

The gamers can choose what titles they'd prefer to listen to in game, same music controls as with BL, only spend less money trying to build a big soundtrack. I'd still like to see at least some - maybe 40 tracks - in the game, as DF found some gems that I'd never heard of and expect they would again.

I've been tinkering with my Xbone to see how to do this, and I can't manage without having the permanent Snapped app feature, which reduces the available screen space for the game. It's really awkward and not at all intuitive like the 360's was. Hopefully a later update makes it possible.

I don't know if game devs can have the game search the hard drive (or onedrive) and play without breaking away from the gameplay itself. I agree that would be the ideal way to keep the game immersive, but there is gonna have to be an included soundtrack of some amount of songs.

An alternate way of funding more songs is to make DLC packs available. Maybe bundled with more Missions or Stage Battles, that could be a nice way to extend the game's lifespan. Taken really far, themed Stages tied to individual bands and including a pack of their music could be pretty awesome - A stage battle at the bottom of the ocean for Mastodon's Leviathan album for instance. Those bands will evocative artwork would be really well placed for that idea, but then you're licensing characters and artwork along with the music and that just might be too much work. Dammit.

An alternate way of funding more songs is to make DLC packs available. Maybe bundled with more Missions or Stage Battles, that could be a nice way to extend the game's lifespan. Taken really far, themed Stages tied to individual bands and including a pack of their music could be pretty awesome - A stage battle at the bottom of the ocean for Mastodon's Leviathan album for instance. Those bands will evocative artwork would be really well placed for that idea, but then you're licensing characters and artwork along with the music and that just might be too much work. Dammit.

That sounds too much like the nickel-and-dime Guitar Hero/Rock Band model for my tastes. I would much rather DF just do what they did for BL1 and license a pile of music up front.

Sign in to follow this