FearMonkey

Classic Psychonauts Comes to PS4 This Spring

From Spaff's post on PSBlog:

We’re super excited to announce that our classic PS2 platformer Psychonauts is heading to PS4 this spring!

Psychonauts follows the story of a young psychic named Razputin in his quest to join an elite group of international psychic secret agents, the Psychonauts! He runs away from the circus and breaks into their secret training facility, Whispering Rock Psychic Summer Camp.

As he begins his training by psychically delving inside the consciousnesses of his tutors and those around him, he realizes all is not as it seems, and soon embarks upon a psychic odyssey through a variety of levels set inside the minds of misfits, monsters, and madmen!

You may have seen Psychonauts in the news a fair bit recently. Last month at PlayStation Experience we announced that Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin would be coming exclusively to PlayStation VR in 2016, and for the last month we’ve been running a crowdfunding campaign to raise the funds to make Psychonauts 2. We’re happy to report that we are now 100% funded, so can officially announce that Psychonauts 2 will also be coming to PS4 in a few years time — that’s a whole lot of Psychonauts to look forward to!

Hopefully it has trophies. Please let it have trophies.

Screenshots:

CJ4tpQs.jpg

6YQxFRs.jpg

GdavuIt.jpg

hKfiM41.jpg

EDIT: Why won't these images embed? >:-(

I didn't see anything in there about how the port will be handled. Will it be a PS2 Classic, or will it be a native PS4 port?

I didn't see anything in there about how the port will be handled. Will it be a PS2 Classic, or will it be a native PS4 port?

Or maybe a port of the PC version similar to the PS4 version of Final Fantasy VII.

Or is that what you mean by a native PS4 port? :P

Or maybe a port of the PC version similar to the PS4 version of Final Fantasy VII.

Or is that what you mean by a native PS4 port? :P

I mean native in that the engine gets ported to the PS4, like any other game made for PS4; as opposed to a Classics title, which I understand to be at least partly emulation with hooks to support trophies and so on. I imagine DF would use the latest PC version as a start.

Also.. since there will be italian and spanish in Psychonauts 2, their absence in the first game will be finally addressed? I hope so, considering the importance of this game :)

My question was answered in the livestream; it's going to be the PS2 version with backwards-compatibility emulation. If it's just that, I suppose that means it's going to be an inferior build compared to what's available on Steam, and Meat Circus will be extra hard.

My question was answered in the livestream; it's going to be the PS2 version with backwards-compatibility emulation. If it's just that, I suppose that means it's going to be an inferior build compared to what's available on Steam, and Meat Circus will be extra hard.

Slightly disappointing but I'll still get it for the Trophies I suppose. :P

Kinda sucks that this is not a remaster, or at least the fixed Steam-like version. What about the screen resolution ratio, will we have to play in letterboxed 4:3?

They said it would have trophy support as well, but it would be nice if it at least contained the fixes the Steam version introduced. In particular, the jumping issue in Meant Circus and the randomly vanishing forever figment in Black Velvetoptia.

They said it would have trophy support as well, but it would be nice if it at least contained the fixes the Steam version introduced. In particular, the jumping issue in Meant Circus and the randomly vanishing forever figment in Black Velvetoptia.

My understanding of the PS2 Classics is that they use memory hooks for trophy support--it's not a new build of the game.

My understanding of the PS2 Classics is that they use memory hooks for trophy support--it's not a new build of the game.

This doesn't appear to be a standard PS2 Classic port, being that it was specifically said they were fixing things in the stream. That said, a few different PS2 Classics have had minor changes made before being released. People playing the just rereleased Okage are saying a few formally game breaking bugs have been fixed.

Is Psychonauts still coming this Spring? There are only a couple of weeks left before Spring is over and there still isn't an actual date yet....

Update: Psychonauts is coming out soon, but not this week. Apologies for the error. Stay tuned for final timing!

Update: Psychonauts is coming out soon, but not this week. Apologies for the error. Stay tuned for final timing!

Gah!!!

Still no european release... how come DF games often are heavily delayed in Europe?

It was the same thing with Costume Quest 2 which was delayed with like 3-4 months in Europe.

There might be something that complicates it but other developers/publishers doesn't have the same issue so in a certain way I can't help but feel like DF doesn't care much for their european fans.

Another week, another EU PSN Store update with no Psychonauts. Can we get some info on what's going on with that?

Or it could be something out of their control, like, say, a delay in getting their PEGI rating. Without which they cannot publish the game in Europe.

Of course, you could also assume that they don't care, but that would betray your tendency towards pessimism.

Spaff usually keeps us informed of how things are going, but looks like he hasn't logged into the forums for a week now. Perhaps he's on holiday at the moment.

Anyway, a conversation in the Playstation blog seems to confirm it's a PEGI related delay.

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2016/07/05/new-on-playstation-store-this-week-the-banner-saga-2-furi-hawken-more/

Search for the psychonauts conversation.

Or it could be something out of their control, like, say, a delay in getting their PEGI rating. Without which they cannot publish the game in Europe.

Of course, you could also assume that they don't care, but that would betray your tendency towards pessimism.

Call it pessimism but Costume Quest 2 was delayed for months in Europe. A game I was really looking forward to playing around Halloween time, just like I did with the first one, but that wasn't an option since it was released in April 2015 here in Europe. It Was released in North America in October of 2014. That's a huge time gap. I also felt there was a lack of information back then.

I would rather Double Fine just said that they expect the game will be heavily delayed because of this and this rahter than saying close to nothing or coming with very vague statements. At least I now know that it is because of Pegi ratings. That's something.

For a company as transparent about their creative process, which is awesome btw., I sometimes wish they were also a little more transparent with this kind of stuff. Specifically regarding European releases.

As someone that have loved DF since Psychonauts it's frustrating to feel left in the dark about these things. With something like Pegi ratings it's to a certain degree out of their control, but then I think it would be cool of them to be upfront and say that we expect the game to be delayed with a month or two because of this and this. Then atleast us Europeans fans know the reason for the delay and know that it's also out of DF hands to a certain degree. Rather that than just saying it's coming soon.

Does that still sound pessimistic DaK or do you just think I'm stupid for wanting to replay Psychonauts?

I'm sorry for being a fan of DF and wanting to play their games as everyone else plays them. Like I said my "pessimism" was a result of a similar instance with a heavily delayed game and a similar lack of information. Even though DF is one of my all time favorite developers the lack of information can be frustrating and dissapointing.

And quite frankly I also think your response to me was quite dissapointing since you know nothing about me yet you distill it down to just being pessimistic. Cool response Dak... real cool.

Nope, you're not stupid for wanting to play Psychonauts. Hell, I want to replay it as well, even if I'm a bit sceptical of the PS2 port. I own the PS2 version. I've experienced how badly it was ported.

Yes, you do sound pessimistic, especially when you throw unfounded accusations around. Not a very cool thing to do. I may not know who you are, but I can gain an insight by what you write.

Yes, it is disappointing not to get some feedback from the company, but there may be reasons for that. No idea what they are, but you should acknowledge the possibility that there is a valid reason, rather than decrying the company for lack of caring. I mean, seriously! These are a bunch of hard working people, working for our entertainment, and you so callously accuse them of not caring?! Pessimism was the least of what I could have called that behaviour.

My advice: sit, wait, and monitor the PEGI twitter. When you see Psychonauts appear there, then complain if it doesn't show up in the Playstation Store.

Nope, you're not stupid for wanting to play Psychonauts. Hell, I want to replay it as well, even if I'm a bit sceptical of the PS2 port. I own the PS2 version. I've experienced how badly it was ported.

Worry not. This is a port of the Steam version with all the fixes built in. My playthrough was the cleanest playthrough I've ever done of this game.

Yes, you do sound pessimistic, especially when you throw unfounded accusations around. Not a very cool thing to do. I may not know who you are, but I can gain an insight by what you write.

Yes, it is disappointing not to get some feedback from the company, but there may be reasons for that. No idea what they are, but you should acknowledge the possibility that there is a valid reason, rather than decrying the company for lack of caring. I mean, seriously! These are a bunch of hard working people, working for our entertainment, and you so callously accuse them of not caring?! Pessimism was the least of what I could have called that behaviour.

My advice: sit, wait, and monitor the PEGI twitter. When you see Psychonauts appear there, then complain if it doesn't show up in the Playstation Store.

I disagree in it sounding pessimistic since I have backed up my claim but we won't get anywhere discussing this further. It kind of seems to be this way on the internet. Once you have stated your opinion of someone or something you won't change it again no matter what becuase people are stubborn and some people see it as defeat. It's a sad mentality but it is the way it is.

I think the only thing we can agree on is that we both look forward to replaying Psychonauts. Let's just leave it at that.

Worry not. This is a port of the Steam version with all the fixes built in. My playthrough was the cleanest playthrough I've ever done of this game.

According to the comments on this news article it's an emulated version of the PS2 port. But as Spaffords writes "hopefully with some added bells and whistles" which would suggest that it atleast has recieved some slight visual adjustments. If that means they have also done some work in terms of the frame rate it doesn't say. But from what you are saying it sounds like it's an much smoother running experience than it was on the original PS2.

Can't wait to replay it myself since it's been years and years since I last played it.

Thanks for the feedback, but as the shaver dude pointed out, all reports say it's the PS2 version. Though, if you played it without the numerous audio glitches, near endless save/load delays, and a frame rate that slices and dices, then there's hope yet.

Plus, they changed it to widescreen! That's a godsend.

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/psychonauts/news/psychonauts_hits_ps4_in_north_america_but_europe_has_to_wait_a_few_weeks.html

I don't have any insider information, but I think it's safe to say the lack of a EU PSN version of Psychonauts isn't because of a lack of care for their European fans. If it was up to Double Fine, why would they willingly hold out on a European version when it means they won't be seeing a penny of profit from it until it's out?

Thanks for the feedback, but as the shaver dude pointed out, all reports say it's the PS2 version. Though, if you played it without the numerous audio glitches, near endless save/load delays, and a frame rate that slices and dices, then there's hope yet.

Plus, they changed it to widescreen! That's a godsend.

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/psychonauts/news/psychonauts_hits_ps4_in_north_america_but_europe_has_to_wait_a_few_weeks.html

Oh, neat. The initially reports (or I guess assumptions would be a better word) were that it was the Steam version based on all the same fixes being present. Neat.

But yeah, I've not had several of the known issues from the PS2 version showing up. Loading only takes a few seconds, audio is great (did notice the odd sound to animation syncing happening here or there in the later game), didn't notice any frame rate chugging.