Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Anemone

Psychomasters Guild of Honour

Just an FYI to anyone who isn't aware. There is a steam group called Psychomasters Guild of Honour that can only be joined by the elitest of the elite Psi Cadets who have acquired all Psychonauts achievements and reached rank 101. The group administrators are our very own Bidiot Bales and flesk, so if you would like some incentive to finally 100% the game before Psychonauts 2 arrives, then check out the guild of honour!

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Psychomasters

:cheese:

Come join us! We have bacon!

I cheated that Christmas one back in the day out of frustration because I remembered to go for that achievement a day late. :P

I need to remember which times to watch Maloof, but my real stop gap for this membership is, surprise, the punching minigame. If I got I love punching, 101 would happen automatically for me. I might have to give this a go again soon. Any tips (other than use a game controller)?

Any tips

Sure! The way I usually do it is...

(other than use a game controller)?

Erm... persistence. Lots of it. I've pulled it off before with KB/M but not having analog movement really makes this an exceptionally tricky one. Always recenter yourself on the button during the fast bit since the targets will only spawn on the central ring at that point and, well... the rest is reaction time with a dash of luck.

I think I might have cheated on the Christmas shopping too. I didn't have a gamepad when I beat the punching minigame, but it's definitely easier with one. In addition to going back to the center between punches, you should also make sure you have leveled up your punch as much as possible. It gets to a point where you hardly have to move off the center at all.

I need to remember which times to watch Maloof, but my real stop gap for this membership is, surprise, the punching minigame. If I got I love punching, 101 would happen automatically for me. I might have to give this a go again soon. Any tips (other than use a game controller)?

I can't tell if you're saying "other than use a controller" because you want KBM tips or because you have a controller and already know to use it.

I only ever use a controller for it, so here are my tips, if they are useful at all:

1. As much as possible, always try to stand in the exact center of the circle on top of the button. You need to maintain this position not only to be equidistant from all potential targets as much as possible, but also for effective aiming. (Raz kinda steps into his punches, which is something you have to factor in when trying to punch quickly and accurately---like factoring in the recoil for a gun.) You should never have to leave the center button to hit the inner ring of targets. You will have to wander out a little way to hit targets in the outside ring, but always return to the center button as quickly as possible.

2. Punch like a yo-yo! While standing in the exact middle, when a target pops up, lightly flick the joystick toward the target while punching ONCE to hit the target. DO NOT TAP THE PUNCH BUTTON. (You only need one punch and Raz recovers too slowly from punch combos. One punch ONLY.) After hitting the target, lightly flick the joystick back toward the center button so that you are "reset" back home in the exact middle. If you are doing it right and are in a good groove, there is a sort of rhythmic rocking motion to it. Just like a yo-yo, you have to flick it out and then pull it back. Yo-yo punching!

3. Don't despair if you punch a baby. Even in the final round, you can still punch at least one baby, possibly even two, and still pull off a victory if you don't get frustrated and stay focused. Practice selective amnesia. Whenever you punch a baby, just immediately forget that it ever happened. This is good advice for Psychonauts achievements and also for real life.

4. Learn to quickly identify green versus brown/black. You don't need to carefully analyze the exact picture of what is on each target. If the thing that just popped up is green (and giggled), then ignore. If the thing that just popped up is colored like mud, then punch it.

5. Feel the rhythm! Once the game gets going REALLY fast, the targets actually pop up and down to a pretty consistent rhythm. There is a sort of beat to it. When targets don't pop up for a while, it is like a rest in the beat, but the beat is still there. Let yourself get into the groove and you'll be punching steady as a heartbeat. I find that I start doing worse when I get too much off rhythm.

6. You might have to let an outer target go sometimes. Especially at the fastest difficulty levels. Suppose you just punched a target on the far-right side of the outer ring and the next consecutive target pops up on the far-left side of the outer ring, then what do you do? If it's a super fast round, you may just have to let it go. Yes, you may lose points for letting it go, but consider this: If you try to run for it, it's very possible that you won't make it in time, and then you'll be out in the middle of BFE and in a worse position to hit the NEXT target and so you'll have missed TWO targets, whereas if you let that first outside target go to focus on getting yourself back in a good center position, and as a result actually hit the next subsequent target, then you're only out ONE target instead of two. See what I mean? Maintaining that center position can really help. So sometimes, at those super fast speeds, it might be better to just say "aint nobody got time fo dat" and worry about getting yourself back in a good center position (i.e. on the center button) for the NEXT target rather than bending over backwards to get that one that's trying to lure you out into a disadvantaged position.

Hmm... that's all I can think of to say for the moment. It might seem like really obvious advice some of it, but it is difficult to put into words the exact mindset I am in when I play this game.

Here is my completed punching mini-game! (The button explodes and disappears when you beat the last challenge.)

DA389AF4926B309DCB1D83827EDA2ECEB82D80F9

Thanks for the ad Anemone, there's a thread in the Psychonauts 1 forum but that place is a ghost town...

Well now that there's a new Psychonauts in town... ;-)

http://steamcommunity.com/id/vectorferret/ would love an invite. I did cheat my computers clock for the Christmas only achievement, but I hope that won't prevent my joining.

I was away over Xmas with no access to Psychonauts, so I changed my computer's clock to Dec 25 and lo, if it didn't work, too. That's 100% for me!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/thunderpeel2001/

Can I join? :)

I can't tell if you're saying "other than use a controller" because you want KBM tips or because you have a controller and already know to use it.

I only ever use a controller for it, so here are my tips...

What I meant was "Don't just say 'Use a game controller', some real tips would be nice" and it seems you all delivered in spades. Thanks!

Well, it's probably to my credit that I suck so much at punching things that I'll never be able to join this group. Make Love, Not PUNCH PUNCH PUNCH, HOORAY!!!

Thanks for the tips though, I'm going to try yo-yo-ing. Any graphical options recommendations? V-sync on/off? Widescreen or 4:3?

I beat the punching game on both PS2 on a 4:3 CRTV and on my PC at 1920x1200, so the graphical options don't really make that much of a difference to me personally, but perhaps someone else may feel differently. ^_^

How many matches to complete the mini-game? I'm replying Psychonauts and I'm currently at the third or fourth match (if I remember correctly it's 30 seconds 40 points)

How many matches to complete the mini-game? I'm replying Psychonauts and I'm currently at the third or fourth match (if I remember correctly it's 30 seconds 40 points)

It's maybe 6 to 8 rounds. Just keep playing; it doesn't go on forever.

Hmm... I actually forget how many there are.... my gut is telling me there are something like 5 or 6 rounds in total, but I can't remember the actual number...

I just recorded a video of myself doing it, if you would like to see what it looks like. Video coming soon!

Here you go! I don't know if just seeing a video will help, but here is all levels of the punching game completed.

On the ones where the targets are going really fast, see how Raz's feet go toward the targets but I always pull him back on top of the button? That's the most important part, IMO. Always pull him back to center.

I miss a few targets as well (**embarassment**), but aside from one early target I tried to take a second swipe at (targets are slower in the early rounds), any targets I miss, I usually just let them go. Throwing a second punch almost never hits and slows you down too much.

Also notice how rhythmic it is? The targets pop up to a pretty consistent beat when they are going fast, so you have a pretty good idea of how much time you can spend on each target.

Nice job. I love punching too :) I don't think you need to move that far to hit the outer targets... I don't recall having to move that much anyway :)

Nice job. I love punching too :) I don't think you need to move that far to hit the outer targets... I don't recall having to move that much anyway :)

Nah. You have to move toward them at least a little bit, but you should be able to hit them from the inner row of sand bags. I just get nervous about the punch falling short (which I think actually happens to me at least once in the video), so I move at them a bit aggressively probably. ^_^

Was just about to get all achievements, beat the game, and realized I had forgotten to get the last two psi cards I had passed over...

Now I have to do the entire meat circus over again...

ha...

ha ha...

ha ha HA HAHHAHA HA HA HA

6361288.gif

Was just about to get all achievements, beat the game, and realized I had forgotten to get the last two psi cards I had passed over...

ha...

ha ha...

You say this like it's a bad thing. When I was on vacation, I loaded up Meat Circus just to play Meat Circus. That last ladder is so great.

ha...

ha ha...

You say this like it's a bad thing. When I was on vacation, I loaded up Meat Circus just to play Meat Circus. That last ladder is so great.

I do love the last ladder, and also the last rail grind. I mostly don't like protecting little Ollie when I'm trying to grab figments.

ha...

ha ha...

I do love the last ladder, and also the last rail grind. I mostly don't like protecting little Ollie when I'm trying to grab figments.

If you're not speedrunning, do what I did and go through the big top once focusing on Ollie, do the grind rail, then warp back to the start and focus on figments.

Finally got the punching minigame done, and got 101 rank, now I just have to... *sigh* replay the whole game to see Maloof's transformation. Hi ho.

Finally got the punching minigame done, and got 101 rank, now I just have to... *sigh* replay the whole game to see Maloof's transformation. Hi ho.

I actually accidentally missed that one at the beginning of my current play through, but I went back and got it using a separate profile. It doesn't take very long to get to it if that's all you're starting a new game for. You basically just have to redo basic braining, but you can get there and through it REALLY quickly if you skip all cutscenes, ignore figments, ignore helping Dogen, don't talk to anyone, don't explore, etc.

It actually surprised me how fast you could blow through it if you just didn't care about anything xD

Sign in to follow this