Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KestrelPi

Team Size

I don't think this has really been talked about before but we can look at the projected budget and release date and start to make ballpark estimates about just how much of Double Fine on average will be working on this. It turned out more than I thought, but it makes sense for such a big game.

So, let's go with

a target budget of $13,000,000

a target development time of 30 months

and average cost-per-employee of $15,000 per month (Tim gave a figure of 10k but said this was low, and I'm bumping it by 5 to also take into account other expenses like voice actors and things which take up a much smaller piece)

That gives us 433.33k per month, or almost 29 employees, well over half of DF (though bear in mind theyve made specific hires for this project too.)

I think based on this that there's going to be, during full production:

A large team on Psychonauts 2

A few people on Remasters, while they're still going on

Perhaps 1 or 2 other small games being made at a time, but not many more.

I'd be curious to know if my estimates are anything like what reality will be. I know of course that the team size will vary as time goes on.

In the future, all games will just be hooked up to Tim's brain, and we'll play in his mind-matrix, to reduce team size, development, etc.

Smiles

Wouldn't physical rewards and marketing use part of the 13 million? Still, the team will be significant in size.

They talk about seeking a game budget of 10-13 million. I imagine they were not building the rewards into that game budget figure because they quoted that figure in context of the game budget rather than the crowdfunding campaign

Wouldn't physical rewards and marketing use part of the 13 million? Still, the team will be significant in size.

They talk about seeking a game budget of 10-13 million. I imagine they were not building the rewards into that game budget figure because they quoted that figure in context of the game budget rather than the crowdfunding campaign

Oh, okay, I was just thinking along the lines of their DFA kickstarter where all the funding originally came just from that (at least in the original plan).

I imagine Rhombus is close to done, considering that they were recording voice for it lately.

I remember seeing some post from DF that mentioned a list of games for 2016 and Rhombus was one of them... *searches twitter*

Here it is:

Remember the team size isn't fixed constant, it will change depending skillsets needed on the different stages of developement, so I would say "on average almost 29" rather than "almost 29".

I don't think this has really been talked about before but we can look at the projected budget and release date and start to make ballpark estimates about just how much of Double Fine on average will be working on this. It turned out more than I thought, but it makes sense for such a big game.

I really have to learn to read more carefully the stuff I'm about to answer to :)

If we stack the team, head to toe, we must be talking about a few stories. That's pretty decent size.

Smiles

Sign in to follow this