Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
johnnytoxic

New Day Of The Tentacle preview with Tim and Matt

Wasn't Fate of Atlantis the first talkie, Tim?

That was fun to watch, and look: NEW JOKES!

uWA5hCz.png

One request: Can you not show the floppy disk loading icon after EVERY screen? It takes you out of the game if you ask me.

I just flipped between that image and an older version here, and apart from the new text on the poster, there's new cell-shading on the washing machine, it looks cooler.

That was a very nice interview.

Love it! It was great to hear so many of the old sound effects recovered and in high quality. And the backgrounds are looking really nice (and props to EMarley for pointing out the new cel shading details on the washing machine, I think it looks much better now).

I love the options screen with the apartment background. I also really like that a floppy disk was used for the autosave icon, seeing as a third of the game itself is set in the '90s.

The voices are so clear! It must have been tiring going through all the uncompressed voice files and putting them in, but I'm thinking it was worth the hassle. They really do sound great. :)

I also noticed that the originally pixelated poster in the laundry room now has legible text. Nice!

Oh, and thanks for keeping that punching sound effect for when Dr Fred turns the light on. Just... yeah. xD

First talkie? That award goes to Loom (1990)

Ah, I forgot about Loom, but didn't it only have SOME spoken dialogue, not all? Tim was talking about the first LucasArts game that had EVERYTHING voiced.

Ah, I forgot about Loom, but didn't it only have SOME spoken dialogue, not all? Tim was talking about the first LucasArts game that had EVERYTHING voiced.

I think he's referring to the first game that was originally released with voice acting. Loom and Fate of Atlantis talkie versions were released years after the floppy versions came out.

And yes, Loom CD version has abridged dialogue due to the technical restrictions of the time.

I think he's referring to the first game that was originally released with voice acting. Loom and Fate of Atlantis talkie versions were released years after the floppy versions came out.

And yes, Loom CD version has abridged dialogue due to the technical restrictions of the time.

The Loom DOS CD version has abridged dialogue in comparison to the floppy release and the FM-Towns CD release (which was a non-talkie but had 256 color art), mostly due to the fact that they couldn't get the close-ups to animate properly. However, the text that remains in the game is fully voiced.

The Loom talkie version was released in 1992. The Fate of Atlantis, Day of the Tentacle, and Sam & Max Hit the Road talkie versions were all released in 1993 (Day of the Tentacle and Sam & Max Hit the Road were released as talkies and non-talkies simultaneously, whereas Loom and Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis were converted to talkies after the fact).

Sam & Max Hit the Road was released in November, while Day of the Tentacle was released in June, and I'm not sure what month Fate of Atlantis got a talkie version, but since Day of the Tentacle was released in the middle of 1993, it's possible that the talkie version of it predated the Fate of Atlantis talkie as well.

And, daffy is correct. Day of the Tentacle was the first LucasArts adventure game to be released as a talkie in it's original release.

Everything in it was voiced. Any unvoiced dialogue was cut from the game.

It's a great interview and I definitely see some little improvements that I didn't notice at PSX/Day of the Devs.

Spaff, am I correct that some of the animations have had tweening done, but just not the mouth/walk cycles? It looks like some of the one-off character animations are smoother.

The lip sync appears to still not be working (21:43, in the tree, just looks ridiculously sloppy). I'm really worried that the lack of lip sync and walk cycle tweening is going to be a bridge too far for capturing a new audience. When I hung out by the demo stations at PSX and talked to non-fans who were playing, they loved Grim Remasterd but thought the DOTT was an alpha build or something due to the chopiness of the animation and lip sync being non-existent. It worries me because I think it will put off this potential new audience who aren't young gamers guided by their parents, to the point where they will just skip Full Throttle Remastered.

In both cases, folks have attempted to give technical reasons why these things still aren't fixed. As someone who prototyped frame-doubled animations, per-resource palettes, and other graphical enhancements in FreeSCI and ScummVM, I don't appreciate the attempts to dismiss the question.

One idea I had watching this video was having per-scene loops/cels for characters, so that they could be painted to semi-match the lighting. In the video @ 21:24, the characters pop out of the background quite a bit because their palettes are so light compared to the background, but also because the light source detailing in the background doesn't match the characters. With a few per-room specific loops/cels, where the character's left-facing loops/cels show light on their back and dark on the face-front (due to the window casting light from the right) and the character's right-facing loops/cels show the opposite, etc would make both kinds of resources' art match much better. It wouldn't even be needed for most rooms, but this one in particular jumps out at me. This is another thing that wasn't as noticeable with the more limited 256-color palette and significantly lower resolution.

Another question: any confirmation that the Maniac Mansion will use the EGA and/or Amiga palette resources? One of the patches I had in FreeSCI (and Sarien) a long time ago used the Amiga palette for characters (and a few items) and the EGA palette for everything else. It made a *huge* difference. I know Tim said they didn't want to "remaster" MM because Ron isn't there to guide things, but re-using the existing assets in the originally released palettes is a light enough touch, and reduces some of the colors that are painful to look at on large non-CRTs, that it would be a great compromise.

Looking forward to hearing some more details,

Thanks!

I like the animation how it is. Not everything has smooth animation. Check out them new Guilty Gear japanese fighting games, they are like a slide show.

I'm glad Double Fine are keeping it as close to the original as possible.

Yeah, the low framerate and lack of lip sync makes it feel like an old computer game rather than the cartoon it stylistically chose to be.

Yeah, the low framerate and lack of lip sync makes it feel like an old computer game rather than the cartoon it stylistically chose to be.

Framerate? . Do we actually know what framerate the game is running at ?.

I dont actually think the framerate is the issues at hand here. The animations literally only has a handful of frames. Thats why it doesnt look smooth. Its from a long time ago.

I dont actually think the framerate is the issues at hand here. The animations literally only has a handful of frames. Thats why it doesnt look smooth. Its from a long time ago.

Agreed. It would be running at 60fps.

I didn't find any problems with it during the video, but I did notice the lip-sync issue and I agree - I hope it gets fixed.

The animations are essentially untouched from the original game, there is no tweening on anything afaik. There was an attempt made to add in additional frames, but it just didn't look good. We'd made a decision to be true to the original as much as possible, so we decided to include the number of frames of animation in that too.

The animations are 10fps, the game itself runs at approximately 60fps

Maniac Mansion is an emulated version of the PC 'Enhanced Edition'

:)

I'm talking about the framerate of the animation, not the framerate the game is running at. It's just a shame a game like this will never see its full potential because of tech limitations from the 90s. All that can be done is give it new paint job, unable to touch its dusty interior.

lets not forget that 10fps isn't a million miles away from the traditional 12fps animation that DOTT was trying to imitate. That's why I think it looks on the whole convincing for this game. I do agree that it might have been nice to attempt some lip synch at least for the close up shots like in the intro with bernard.

It would be a mistake to add in animation.

With inexperienced animators, I agree. It's best to leave the animation alone if there is no one experienced enough to improve it and while keeping the same feel.

It must have been tiring going through all the uncompressed voice files and putting them in
There's this thing called scripts...

Maniac Mansion is an emulated version of the PC 'Enhanced Edition'

Boo! :( The original edition has way more retro charm.

Z17HtPm.jpg

mmnew17.png

Although I guess the second one looks more like Thimbleweed Park.

It turned out to be hard to pick a version to go in there, one person suggested the NES version!

Everyone has their favourite i guess :)

It would have been incredible to have got Ron on board and completely remaster Maniac Mansion :)

I'm not even sure if Ron would be interested...

It turned out to be hard to pick a version to go in there, one person suggested the NES version!

Everyone has their favourite i guess :)

What was Ron's vote? :)

Sign in to follow this