Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
johnnytoxic

New Day Of The Tentacle preview with Tim and Matt

It turned out to be hard to pick a version to go in there, one person suggested the NES version!

Everyone has their favourite i guess :)

I would have gone for the uncensored NES prototype. So you'd have the NES graphics and awesome soundtrack, plus all the dirty jokes of the original. Best of both!

Somehow I doubt anybody suggested the Famicom version...

It turned out to be hard to pick a version to go in there, one person suggested the NES version!

I would have gone for the uncensored NES prototype. So you'd have the NES graphics and awesome soundtrack, plus all the dirty jokes of the original. Best of both!

Somehow I doubt anybody suggested the Famicom version...

On that note, I remember listening to a keynote speech by Ron Gilbert on the making of Maniac Mansion on youtube.

He mentioned that they simply switched out the cursewords for "tuna", and there wasn't much of a reason but an interim change until something appropriate was found but it stuck. I wonder if because it was just a change in dialogue and there's no voice, if that will be interchangeable using a setting or something...

Wasn't Fate of Atlantis the first talkie, Tim?

That was fun to watch, and look: NEW JOKES!

uWA5hCz.png

That's great.

I kind of hope sometime between now and launch they go through and do a... typography pass, though. Like, for the "Do not sit on machines" sign there, it's clear that the goal was to make smoothish letters that most closely match the exact pixels of the original sign, and while that's a noble goal I'd much prefer a sign that actually looks like it was written with a human hand (using a big marker, presumably, in this case), which was surely the intention of the original artwork. Double Fine was probably already planning to clean up stuff like that, but I know MI2's special edition launched with some of the signs looking just that awkward, so I don't want to assume anything.

I know exactly what you mean. It looks like text that started off pixelled and then was smoothed. It's much better than it was, though.

So, something along these lines?

UjISeX6.jpg

I like it! ^^

Why can't the cat for sale have three heads? That would be a fantastic easter egg!

I'd happily volunteer to do this for the whole game. Although I know that licensing-wise it's not as simple as slapping some free fonts from the web in there.

I'd happily volunteer to do this for the whole game.

When you do that, don't forget the texture as well. Someone out there really should be able to slap those backgrounds in the game... :|

That room actually looks like this now... as you noticed, the sign was a little too rigid and upscaled looking so it got a repaint.

I think there's actually been some great work done overall with the signage in the game, hopefully you guys will be into it :)

uMWuXKJ.jpg

Please add in the hamster gag to the pc version. :P

There may or may not be some hamster related japes. ;)

That room actually looks like this now... as you noticed, the sign was a little too rigid and upscaled looking so it got a repaint.

I think there's actually been some great work done overall with the signage in the game, hopefully you guys will be into it :)

uMWuXKJ.jpg

Looks great!. Its good to see you guys paying attention to small details like that. I approve!.

uMWuXKJ.jpg

The updated sign on the right looks great! That's what I'm talking about.

The bigger sign on the left still looks a bit odd? Why would anyone write a "y" like that (except to try to match the underlying pixels)? And the symbol after the 25 (I'm assuming it should be ¢) looks notably unnatural, because it's tracing a shape that was, in the original game, defined by the edges of the fan that's blocking it...

Now that I think of it, it'd be pretty cool if there were a hint of parallax scrolling effects, in terms of the foreground objects being separated from the backgrounds, but that's probably not easy to add if it wasn't there in the original

I'm not surprised, from a number of points of view the NES version is the best as it got rid of "What is", which was huge.

It also had custom chiptunes for each character which could be turned off, and eliminated some (sadly not all) of the dead ends.

Minuses were that it was censored (though the uncensored prototype still exists), and that you had to play it by controller.

If it had mouse support it'd be by far the best version available (scummvm allows this for the censored version).

It's true that getting rid of WHAT IS would make the game about a 1000 times more enjoyable to play.

There's a buttload of verbs you don't need. Hence why the Deluxe version works fine with just the 9 DoTT verbs.

It's also what Night of the Meteor does.

phoca_thumb_l_scrnshot0.png

God, I really hope they update this project soon. Haven't heard anything about it in a long time.

Yeah, 9 verbs is perfect. Thimbleweed Park is using the same 9 as FATE & DOTT did too I think.

It's not too many that some commands become close to irrelevant in most situations and not too few that some puzzles become comically easy. The change down to only [context]use/look in many modern P&C's saddens me.

Yes, but WHAT IS is a particularly evil verb. You can keep the others, but that's the one that makes it painful to play.

I'm not surprised, from a number of points of view the NES version is the best as it got rid of "What is", which was huge.

It also had custom chiptunes for each character which could be turned off, and eliminated some (sadly not all) of the dead ends.

Minuses were that it was censored (though the uncensored prototype still exists), and that you had to play it by controller.

If it had mouse support it'd be by far the best version available (scummvm allows this for the censored version).

If it would have been possible to include the uncensored version (and the mouse support like ScummVM), the NES version definitely would be the definitive version of Maniac Mansion in my opinion.

If it would have been possible to include the uncensored version (and the mouse support like ScummVM), the NES version definitely would be the definitive version of Maniac Mansion in my opinion.

What's stopping them?

What's stopping them?

I think you messed up your quote a bit there.

What's stopping them would probably be one or more of:

Licensing - Jaleco/Realtime Associates may hold some rights to that version

Technical - Might be too much work to get running (dunno how much effort it was for scummvm)

Preference - They may have preferred the DOSV2 version as it has the original graphical style (which had to be redone for the NES).

It would be nice if (assuming they are allowed to) Double Fine could at least put the uncensored prototype NES rom dump in as a bonus though (So not in DOTT, but just have the rom file in the installation package). That way people would own legal copies of it and scummvm could go ahead and get it working themselves. Too late in the day though I guess.

Well the effort for ScummVM team was literally about extracting ROMs content and there you go, native SCUMM data files

Yes, but WHAT IS is a particularly evil verb. You can keep the others, but that's the one that makes it painful to play.

All the other verbs are words of action.

You want an evil verb? Try mind-control, shoot, or shrink-ray... :P

It would be nice if (assuming they are allowed to) Double Fine could at least put the uncensored prototype NES rom dump in as a bonus though (So not in DOTT, but just have the rom file in the installation package). That way people would own legal copies of it and scummvm could go ahead and get it working themselves. Too late in the day though I guess.

I do remember reading somewhere that the version included includes all the uncensored content, but it's essentially the enhanced version otherwise. Could somebody from DF confirm?

I do remember reading somewhere that the version included includes all the uncensored content, but it's essentially the enhanced version otherwise. Could somebody from DF confirm?

It was only the NES version that was ever censored (because of Nintendo's strict guidelines). The version included in DOTT: Remastered is the PC Enhanced version.

Sign in to follow this