Sign in to follow this  
Anemone

Beyond Good & Evil 2 - Let's talk story predictions (BG&E1; spoilers)

8 hours ago, Vainamoinen said:

In light of what Ancel said about "his visions" for the new BG&E instalment, and in light of Ubisoft's recent games, this Jimquisition video takes a bit of a prophetic role. Without even mentioning BG&E explicitly. :|

He is super 100% correct about these criticisms and he hits the nail on the head in describing EXACTLY why I think Assassin's Creed games (and their copycats) are utter garbage.

I do have serious concerns about BG&E getting tarnished by the trainwreck that is current Ubisoft. On the other hand, IIRC, I think Ancel has historically seemed to have kind of a tense relationship with Ubi regarding control over his projects, and Ancel's games have not typically had the fingerprints of Ubi's garbagification process all over them. There is also the fact that the original BG&E was a quasi-open world game in itself. It wasn't a very enormous one, but it was a more or less open mid-sized little world, so I don't think an open world BG&E is necessarily a bad thing as long as there is original content to match, as in the original. So I am clinging (perhaps naively) to the hope that the new BG&E can be great.

It has the OPPORTUNITY to be great. But I also don't underestimate Ubi's power to f**k it all up.

Okay, so I own Beyond Good and Evil on PC but couldn't get past the first fight and gave up like a baby.

Is it easier on a console? I have a Gamecube, but I don't know if I should buy a copy and try it there instead. I want to play this game, but I also acknowledge that I'm apparently really bad at the gaming skills it seems to require.

Edited by Alcoremortis

51 minutes ago, Alcoremortis said:

Okay, so I own Beyond Good and Evil on PC but couldn't get past the first fight and gave up like a baby.

Is it easier on a console? I have a Gamecube, but I don't know if I should buy a copy and try it there instead. I want to play this game, but I also acknowledge that I'm apparently really bad at the gaming skills it seems to require.

Maybe? I originally played it on PC waaaay back in the day, but I honestly don't remember what the PC controls are like.

Which is the "first fight" you are describing? The one where the lighthouse gets attacked right at the beginning?

3 minutes ago, Anemone said:

Maybe? I originally played it on PC waaaay back in the day, but I honestly don't remember what the PC controls are like.

Which is the "first fight" you are describing? The one where the lighthouse gets attacked right at the beginning?

It's been awhile, so I think it was the very first fight that there is. I remember starting it up, getting totally trounced and thinking "okay, I don't have time for this right now, I'll come back later" and then not coming back later.

I have a problem with third person games, I think. I couldn't get very far in Psychonauts either and it took me years to finish Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy and when I did, I had to do most of it in first person.

But now that I'm doing okay in Eternal Darkness, I'm starting to wonder if maybe it's just the platform that was the issue in those games.

Edited by Alcoremortis

55 minutes ago, Alcoremortis said:

It's been awhile, so I think it was the very first fight that there is. I remember starting it up, getting totally trounced and thinking "okay, I don't have time for this right now, I'll come back later" and then not coming back later.

I have a problem with third person games, I think. I couldn't get very far in Psychonauts either and it took me years to finish Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy and when I did, I had to do most of it in first person.

But now that I'm doing okay in Eternal Darkness, I'm starting to wonder if maybe it's just the platform that was the issue in those games.

If you are more comfortable with a controller then definitely use one. What I remember from the first battle is those "sarcophagus" enemies with the spindly fingers that attack you from all sides. The fight basically amounts to not focusing on just one of them but changing the direction of your attack to keep thwacking all three of them kinda equally---especially attacking any one that looks like it is about to attack to interrupt it. Joysticks might make directional attacks easier...?

Then it shifts into that first boss encounter where you have those sarcophagus things coming in but also that big eye-of-sauron type thing.
1. thwack sarcophagus guys until they go away
2. if the eye shoots a green laser beam, run away from it
3. when you have the chance, unleash your charge attack in relative proximity to the eye thing to make it fall, then attack it

I think that's it...?

That's not really a good overall representation of the game, though. There are several battles like that throughout the game, but 90% of the game is:

1. Relaxed open world exploration in a kinda small open world.

2. Taking pictures of things.

3. A little bit of vehicular combat / racing.

4. Veeeeeeeery loooooooooong stealth/infiltration missions. There are maybe 3 or 4 of them, but the missions are most of the game.

Edited by Anemone

11 minutes ago, Anemone said:

If you are more comfortable with a controller then definitely use one. What I remember from the first battle is those "sarcophagus" enemies with the spindly fingers that attack you from all sides. The fight basically amounts to not focusing on just one of them but changing the direction of your attack to keep thwacking all three of them kinda equally---especially attacking any one that looks like it is about to attack to interrupt it. Joysticks might make directional attacks easier...?

Then it shifts into that first boss encounter where you have those sarcophagus things coming in but also that big eye-of-sauron type thing.
1. thwack sarcophagus guys until they go away
2. if the eye shoots a green laser beam, run away from it
3. when you have the chance, unleash your charge attack in relative proximity to the eye thing to make it fall, then attack it

I think that's it...?

That's not really a good overall representation of the game, though. There are several battles like that throughout the game, but 90% of the game is:

1. Relaxed open world exploration in a kinda small open world.

2. Taking pictures of things.

3. A little bit of vehicular combat / racing.

4. Veeeeeeeery loooooooooong stealth/infiltration missions. There are maybe 3 or 4 of them, but the missions are most of the game.

Well, that's nice to know. I knew nothing about the game when I first tried it so I was like "wow, if this is the starting fight, I'll never be able to finish this game".

I just looked at the intro fight on youtube and yeah, I can see what my problem was. Third person melee is very hard on a PC for me unless there's a way to pause. I think it's based on how the camera moves. I can't really remember how the fight went for me, but I have a funny feeling it had something to do with me moving the camera all over the place with the mouse and therefore being completely unable to effectively control where Jade was going. 

The first "boss" fight? Uhm, IIRC you can actually beat his guy with constant special attacks without even moving from the spot. Hold RMB, release, relax. I think. :)

The rumor mill is alive, by the way.

32aad5b84d5bb6d0ac09aef7500a3bca_bge2rum

Nope, the first fight, fight. Like the very first bit you do when the game gives you control of Jade.

9 minutes ago, Alcoremortis said:

Nope, the first fight, fight. Like the very first bit you do when the game gives you control of Jade.

Only two of those first enemies are in the foreground at a time, and you don't need to adjust the perspective at all. Just move left and right and bash those enemies constantly (you only need to turn towards the lighthouse entrance for the last enemy). I tried this first sequence just now and you don't even need to evade any hits. It's merely a combination of A - D - LMB and you'll get through fine. I hope. 

Adding to the "first boss" strategy, which I originally wanted to verify by playing the sequence just now: It's "special attack", run to and bash eye, special attack as soon as guarding 'teeth' go up, bash eye, repeat. The boss ceases the laser eye attack when hit by a special attack, and the timing is rather generous there.

Edited by Vainamoinen

3 hours ago, Vainamoinen said:

The first "boss" fight? Uhm, IIRC you can actually beat his guy with constant special attacks without even moving from the spot. Hold RMB, release, relax. I think. :)

The rumor mill is alive, by the way.

32aad5b84d5bb6d0ac09aef7500a3bca_bge2rum

A Switch timed exclusive? Now that's surprising/interesting if true.

On 4.1.2017 at 1:34 PM, Anemone said:

A Switch timed exclusive? Now that's surprising/interesting if true.

It had been previously rumored that it would be "NX exclusive", but that's not the way Nintendo really operates any more. Timed exclusive is the most likely scenario, and I wouldn't be opposed to it. Could mean halfway sensible system requirements for PC. How to get around funking Uplay or wait until 2019 (!!), that's another story.

Edited by Vainamoinen

I doubt Nintendo really has the clout these days to get many third party developers to go exclusive on their console. They got lucky with a couple on the Wiiu, e.g. Bayonetta, but I will be surprised if they get much of that on the Switch. Especially with the thriving PC market, it doesn't make a lot of sense for developers to go completely exclusive anymore unless they are somehow a subsidiary of the platform owner or are made a VERY SEXY offer they can't refuse. But I imagine it would have to be very, very sexy.

Then again, sort of like Double Fine, Nintendo still has a lot of good will going for them that other companies lack.

Edited by Anemone

Well, one thing's for sure, the Beyond Good & Evil reboot would never have happened if Nintendo hadn't signalled explicit interest and made an offer to Ubisoft that they wouldn't refuse. So I'm thankful in a way. But the times in which Nintendo practically owned popular studios (like Squaresoft) are, like you said, long gone; and their reach has indeed dwindled so much that it's in no way guaranteed that the games from the high profile developers they advertised at the Switch presentation will regularly or even once deliver games to the portable home console ("pohoco™").

So, well, no Switch for me, I guess. :|

Nintendo still has their in-house brands and characters which... historically have been strong, despite some obvious f**k ups and miscalculations (looks at Starfox).

I very much understand that Nintendo wants to keep doing their blue ocean strategy and avoid competing on Sony and MS's battleground, but at the same time, that's kinda what people want Nintendo to do, so the fact that they keep not doing it and it keeps hurting them is sorta like... yeah... duh.

But I appreciate that The Switch seems to be somewhat less of a gimmick and more of an attempt to evolve hardware along a practicality line. I mean, the obvious criticism is that they are just trying to create hardware that solves a problem that everyone has largely already solved via various other hardware. But this is better than gimmicks at least.

BG&E is a very Nintendo style of game... or the original one with original art style very much was. I could understand their interest in it.

Yeah. Let's talk story predictions again, because SERIOUSLY. I have no real idea where TF  they're going.

Why do I get a sense of "Insert Sci-Fi story into BGE universe" vibes from this?

I don't know either.  Even when it was announced it felt like it's too late.  As if they were resurrecting the (now)franchise, for the sake of doing so.

Not that I want to blame anyone.  I'm sure some of the people working on this were massive fans, but...  It feels.... Off.

Like, I'm not really excited...and more curious.